Malone Tune Stage 2

Knoxville

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta BEW
My 2011 Jetta is soon to be tuned to a Stage 2 Malone tune (DSG tuner on it's way). I was wondering what other people thought of the tune if you have had it done.

I'm totally stock with DSG transmission.

With the tune on the DSG, what did you notice the most?

With the stage 2 tune on the ECM, what stands out? Did your mileage improve? If so, what'd it go to/from? I can average 42 mpg on a tank, but that's driving like a blue hair.

Thanks!

Knox

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
I just spoke with the guys at Rawtech. I'm ordering the full kit and they will install it. Can't wait to drive back home once that new exhaust is on. I'm still less that 2000 miles on the car! Time to roll coal!

whenpigsfly514

Veteran Member
TDI
I just spoke with the guys at Rawtech. I'm ordering the full kit and they will install it. Can't wait to drive back home once that new exhaust is on. I'm still less that 2000 miles on the car! Time to roll coal!
Are you deleting too? Tuning?

vwjettatdimkvi

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Sedan
I'm thinking about ARP's new TDI tune for my 2011 Jetta Sedan... my actual VW dealer is a APR dealer in my area (Chicago area)... so it does not get any better than that, especially if they mess up your ECU when they pull it out to unlock it. APR also claims there TDI tune does not require a DSG tune to get rid of issues cased by the engines increase in HP and Tq. I like how they enable you to turn it off, and also erase trouble codes also. I am not a APR employee either, its just my buddy at work had his 2012 GTI tuned at APR and really hyped me up on them. He's said he has just seen to many other VW cars trailered off at car shows because of the ECU was not being unlocked correctly. IDK...

I do have a 2005 EVO 8 with 550awhp that has... lets say has nothing stock in it anymore. So I'm familiar with tuning the hell out of things. Going to try to slowing put a little more "tune" in my daily TDI now. My dealer said the APR tune will change my car dramatically like night and day over the way it is stock.

Just waiting till spring now... Hoping for some springs for xmas right now.

Happy Holidays Guys...

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
APR is an awesome company... For gasoline engines.

They're new to the Diesel scene, and their tune is the most conservative tune you can get (which is why you don't "need" the DSG tune). The ability to select the tune is also cool, for gasoline cars where you have a choice of fuel types (premium, regular, E85). For Diesels it's pretty well useless... You get better power AND fuel economy with a diesel tune, and there's only one flavor of Diesel fuel at any station that carries diesel.

Spoke one on one with Malone shortly after I got the car and decided when the time came he's who I'd go for. I finally got my car tuned last month (a year after I first talked to him) and have been 100% satisfied with the choice. Malone knows diesels, and more specifically TDIs. No one else I'd trust my ECU to.

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
APR is an awesome company... For gasoline engines.

They're new to the Diesel scene, and their tune is the most conservative tune you can get (which is why you don't "need" the DSG tune). The ability to select the tune is also cool, for gasoline cars where you have a choice of fuel types (premium, regular, E85). For Diesels it's pretty well useless... You get better power AND fuel economy with a diesel tune, and there's only one flavor of Diesel fuel at any station that carries diesel.

Spoke one on one with Malone shortly after I got the car and decided when the time came he's who I'd go for. I finally got my car tuned last month (a year after I first talked to him) and have been 100% satisfied with the choice. Malone knows diesels, and more specifically TDIs. No one else I'd trust my ECU to.

What about switching it to stock for trips to the dealer?

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
What about switching it to stock for trips to the dealer?
The only thing 'switching it to stock' will do is go back to stock maps... The ECU will still be programmed with aftermarket software, and the dealer will be able to tell regardless of which tune you have selected at the time.

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
Or switching it on the dyno? Stock numbers then you can compare the difference between pulls. I don't know I just don't think it's COMPLETE worthless.

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
Or switching it on the dyno? Stock numbers then you can compare the difference between pulls. I don't know I just don't think it's COMPLETE worthless.
If you want a proper comparison, you'd do a dyno before any flash is done, and one again after... The 'stock' portion of the tune could still have changed parameters on other parts of the ECU while limiting the injection quantity and boost pressure to what stock numbers would be. I don't know that to be true or not, but if you want an accurate comparison between what's 'stock' and the tune, you only change one variable at a time.

I would be willing to bet money the only time you'd ever put it back into 'stock' mode from the tune would be to show off that you can change your tunes on the fly (then quickly switch back to the tuned profile). As said, it's great on gas engines where there's a big difference between 87, 91, 93, 100+ octane fuels... Diesel, the only thing it will do for you is limit how much power your right foot has on tap (which can be easily done by your right foot anyway).