Hard Start / No Start - Is your intercooler frozen? Check Here!

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
HKS: It'd be quite tight, though, and the Passat needs both EGRs along with urea.

And, running a diesel right on the edge of the NOx limits tends to create weird running problems, like the CBEA/CJAA cars have.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Building some sort of bypass is tempting. No sensors to accommodate makes that a lot easier.
Just cover up most of the front grill. This same thing VW doing with the kit.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
The kit actually acts as an internal intercooler bypass, I believe.

People were trying grille blocks, and they weren't very effective AFAIK.

sickmtbnutcase

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG
I covered most of my grille last year. Somewhere in this thread are my data logs. IATs barely were over ambient. Blocking the grille doesn't do much. Makes me think IATs would be just fine with a cheap bypass in place during winter. Of course measurement would be required.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2

Omsok

TDI
2010 JSW Auto
Hello: My 2010 JSW was purchased from Latham New York. Has anybody had any experiences trying to get the upgraded equipment replaced by the delaer in New York, Albany area?

Just curious before I call dealer, and if it is better to wait until winter hits.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
There isn't a whole lot of room to install a bypass pipe unless you want to remove some part's and pieces, the IC is stacked right in there nice and tight.

It def could be done, though, but not as simple and slapping in a 2" pipe to existing fittings.

rickcrna1

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
I have a 2010 JSW with known intercooler problem exhibited February, 2010. Still trying to get the updated intercooler kit and installation which VWoA has authorized under warranty. My local VW dealer has told me that the order for such kit was placed this past March and was done personally by the regional manager. This was after a letter writing campaign up the chain of command at VWoA. It is now September and still no arrival of my order. I contacted the dealer a couple of weeks ago only to be told that when the order arrives I will be notified. Needless to say, my patience is wearing really thin and now, here we are, approaching another winter. How long is it reasonable to expect the backordered intercooler kit to arrive at the dealer?

Thanks in advance for your replies and suggestions.

Rick

zenthuzed

TDI
2014 Q7 TDI
Finally getting my kit....

After getting the run around from my dealerships here in Raleigh, I escalated the matter to my VWoA southern service regional manager. They acknowledged the known issue(unlike any service manager in my area....) and apologized dearly for my service manager not getting down the bottom of my issue sooner. She processed the order for my intercooler kit and told me it is back ordered until late Oct. She told me they are trying to distribute the kits to the north east and northern midwest first, then down to the "warmer" states. I am at 30k now and she promised that if I drove past my 36k warranty before the kit is sent to my dealership, they would still cover the install free of charge. If anyone is not getting the help they need from their local service manager, just call VWoA customer care and try to get in contact with your region's service manager. ;)

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
They seem to be sending the kits out. I just got a phone call today telling mine was in. Ordered Jan 2012.

My question is, have they made changes to the design of this intercooler/egr system or are do they just keep pumping out these golfs and jettas with a known issue hoping only a small percentage will ever have a problem or educate themselves as to the issue?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
regardless of how many kits they trickel out to the owners who houd the dealers.

Who's going to be the first to have the issues on a band new 2013? common, you know you want it!

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Appointment scheduled for 09:00 Friday morning. I called yesterday to confirm they'll have a rental/loaner for my wife who is almost 7 months pregnant. The CSR on the phone looks it up and says "Oh I booked that appointment, but there's no car reserved" :confused:

I can't be there as I'm 800km east of Vancouver looking after the boy, the house and my employment. After 8-9 months of waiting, 2 of which we didn't need to wait because as it turns out they HAD the kit but had forgotten to call and inform us. I must say that I'm more than a little frightened that the lot-boy is going to be given his big chance to shine when the car rolls into the shop :eek:

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Ugh! It's in the shop as we speak. Wife sent me a txt saying the dealer SAID we'd need an oil change as well... Ummmm NO! Just the recall TYVM

Ristocracy

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4dr HB DSG w/Tech Package
I live in the SF Bay Area where it gets cold in the winter, but never to the point of snow or ice. Is this something I should worry about and talk to my dealer about getting this conversion kit. I have. 2012 tdi that was built in late 2011, would I still have this issue in my car?

JBell

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I live in the SF Bay Area where it gets cold in the winter, but never to the point of snow or ice. Is this something I should worry about and talk to my dealer about getting this conversion kit. I have. 2012 tdi that was built in late 2011, would I still have this issue in my car?
You should be fine. Freezing temperatures are where problems begin to happen.

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
But what happens when you go to Tahoe? I have to admit I did have one incident of hard sputtering start one morning before I even knew about this issue.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
Langley Goldkey VW

Friday the Mrs’ drops off the car at 09:00

She call the dealer @ 16:30, and they called back 15min later with the following excuse – “there were more parts then we anticipated it won’t be ready till Monday @ 9:30am, our tech will come in early to finish it”

I says, PARDON!

I immediately called the SM and question what was going on? This appointment had been made by their person who deals with recalls/warranty work AND that dealership has completed 3 of these jobs already. Why in god’s good name would/could they say it would be done in a day?

The SM was very apologetic but offered absolutely no solutions.

Skip to yesterday (Monday) and my wife shows up to get the car and was told it’ll be another 45min. She goes and does some last minute shopping and 1.5hrs later she gets a call that the car is ready to go.

45min later she calls me and says there is a rattle when she puts the clutch in that wasn’t there on Friday morning – if SHE can hear a rattle I know there is a rattle. GO BACK TO THE DEALER.

She’s currently 7 months pregnant and 700km away from home so this is probably the last thing she wanted to hear.

They take the car right in and apparently some pipe had flipped itself around and broke free of its clamp… Again, I SAYS PARDON? It’s fixed and she’s heading home!

20:00 last night she rolls into the driveway and the first thing I see is a HUGE gap on the driver’s side where the bumper meets the quarter panel – I lose it!

Pop the hook to take a quick look inside and WHOA look at that clamp… It’s not closed/attached to the hose it’s sitting on.

A call to VWoC this morning resolved nothing – “take it back to the dealer”. It’s a 1400 km round trip to take it back, that doesn’t work.

Currently waiting for the SM to call me back.

Last edited:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Everybody here who is late getting here to this thread should spend some time reading in this thread.!VW is absolutely not going to add this kit to your car unless, you have A sympathetic Dealer (LOL) how many of them you think are here?? Or you have your car towed in and they witness the problem 1st hand......(Hint) it will melt before it gets to the dealer and then there is no more problem......Not Observed denied.....Folks this is some more of VW's Excellent Customer Service! YET we The loyal customers keep buying and keeping there 30,000 POS cars!!

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
VWoC CSR Supervisor called - They've suggested only driving 800km round trip to a closer dealer and having that dealer charge back to Langley GOLDKEY VW.

No, not acceptable. I would prefer to have my local Euroshop and body shop do the work and charge that back to the dealer.

They said they'd call me back tomorrow.

Also somehow someone change me complaining about a 3/8" misalignment to a 3" gap :eek: