www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old June 1st, 2015, 21:18   #1
chitofn

TDI(s): 2001 VW Golf
Default 01M Automatic Transmission Leak?

All,
I need some guidance with regard to a 01M Automatic Transmission on a 2001 Volkswagen Golf TDI 1.9 liter engine. The car has been sitting for a bit due to me working on installing a timing belt kit. Iíve been driving the car after completing the timing belt installation and everything was going well. After a few weeks of driving it I noticed an oil drip on my drive way. It took me a little bit to pinpoint the source of the leak and it looks like Iíve narrowed it down. The only thing I cannot seem to find is why it would leak from this area. The leak seems to be coming from the transmissionís (Bell Housing) low point where the transmission meets the engine. It is not engine oil. Iíve provided some pictures for your reference. I need some suggestions as to why it would leak from this spot - seal, gasket, etc. Here is my disclaimer, I am not an expert when it comes to working on cars but I do love it. Iím not afraid to tear into something. I do work best when there is technical data available. I am also lacking the technical data I need to do the job. Lastly, Iíve searched the threads to see if there is a hint of a similar issue to mine but I have not found it. I figure Iíd just ask. Any suggestions will gladly be appreciated. Thanks.

chitofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 07:28   #2
JETaah

Fuel Economy: 53 max, 42 min, average 46

If it is indeed ATF and it is coming from within the bell housing then the answer would be torque converter seal. There are no plugs to leak on the torque converter.
Pulling the trans is the first step to the fix. Pulling the converter is the next. I have never done this myself but, I don't think it is that difficult to change.

Ask CoolAirVW for more info.
JETaah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 07:40   #3
hgsmith
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Jetta

Mine leaks there and it's the differential. I have 472,000 on the original 01M. I changed the differential gasket on the side but did not help. Smell the fluid to see what it is. You will smell molly if its the differential. You need to change your differential fluid if you haven't already. Also if you have red tranny fluid then it looks like it's the differential. The fluid looks brown to me.
hgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2018, 20:21   #4
lucasbc

Default 01m transmission fluid leak as well

Hello folks I have a golf 2004 with a transmission leak. Some pictures: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/geoox2g7y...vZjQUpWYa?dl=0 (comment in one picture)

So I'm looking at these products: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...5UG1YLI2I&th=1

in its comments one says "Only works on rubber/EPDM type seals, and actually dissolves plastic/teflon/delrintype seals."

Should I use it with this tranny?

also I see fluid around the drive axle shaft, and I found this product:
https://www.idparts.com/drive-axle-o...vw-p-7494.html
Golf TDI MkIV (A4 chassis) w/ BEW Engine (2004-2006)

But I don't know if the car I have is a bew engine since by the vin I read:
2004 Volkswagen Golf
GL - L4 - 2.0L 1984cc 121ci GAS MFI type BEV - 2 valve SOHC

I'm in the process of replacing the solenoid cable harness diagnosed by the dealer. The rpm will remain above normal because it is not shifting. a bad pressure solenoid valve #6 was replaced with no success.
Thanks for any help
lucasbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2018, 23:26   #5
2000alhVW
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitofn View Post

If your pan is leaking, the fluid will dribble to that exact spot before it drips off. Also, that looks like aged ATF, not differential fluid IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasbc View Post
Hello folks I have a golf 2004 with a transmission leak. Some pictures: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/geoox2g7y...vZjQUpWYa?dl=0 (comment in one picture)
So I'm looking at these products: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...5UG1YLI2I&th=1
in its comments one says "Only works on rubber/EPDM type seals, and actually dissolves plastic/teflon/delrintype seals."
Should I use it with this tranny?
also I see fluid around the drive axle shaft, and I found this product:
https://www.idparts.com/drive-axle-o...vw-p-7494.html
Golf TDI MkIV (A4 chassis) w/ BEW Engine (2004-2006)
But I don't know if the car I have is a bew engine since by the vin I read:
2004 Volkswagen Golf
GL - L4 - 2.0L 1984cc 121ci GAS MFI type BEV - 2 valve SOHC
I'm in the process of replacing the solenoid cable harness diagnosed by the dealer. The rpm will remain above normal because it is not shifting. a bad pressure solenoid valve #6 was replaced with no success.
Thanks for any help
That is not an 01M transmission.
2000alhVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2018, 06:40   #6
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

seals are bad
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote