Diesel Liqui Moly Purge

Dominicdx

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Hello, just seein if anyone has used this product.
If so how often? And what results should I expect?

I seen a YouTube video of a guy doing it on a TDI. But did not mention when to do this.

Thank you

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I do it once a year, the same time I change the fuel filter, air filter and any thing else that needs that kind of maintenance. Wipers, cleaning out the front fender dirt traps and so on.

Dominicdx

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I do it once a year, the same time I change the fuel filter, air filter and any thing else that needs that kind of maintenance. Wipers, cleaning out the front fender dirt traps and so on.
Could you elaborate on front fender dirt traps?

First Jetta TDI

Also do you purge it from the fuel lines ?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
2006 Jetta... BRM engine... I'm not sure I would do a Diesel-Purge on a PD engine... the injectors are just too fussy and expensive... could just be me, though...

Y.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
Could you elaborate on front fender dirt traps?

First Jetta TDI

Also do you purge it from the fuel lines ?

First off, the front fender liners (and splash guards if you have them) are notorious for accumulating dirt, leaves, you name it behind the wheels. I have seen multi-year deposits that look like bird nests. This allows rust to start right behind the fender liner. If you take the time to remove the liner in the rear area behind the wheel and clean out the crap you will prevent eventual rust out of the lower door panel area and fender.

As for the diesel purge if you run an after market fuel filter like the Cat2 or even the OEM, when you replace the filter you can fill it with diesel purge and run the start up with the purge fluid. Same as pumping it from the can and actually easier. If you have a lift pump it is even easier.
Good luck with the Jetta!

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
Diesel purge is one of the "snake oils" that actually work.

If this is the first time you are doing it or have no evidence the car had it before, for best results look for the direct application method (do not dilute it in the fuel tank)

After the purge treatment you can expect a smoother running engine. Some owners even report quieter engines. After you run it direct, the next year you can just pour it inisde the fuel filter can.

Dominicdx

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Diesel purge is one of the "snake oils" that actually work.

If this is the first time you are doing it or have no evidence the car had it before, for best results look for the direct application method (do not dilute it in the fuel tank)

After the purge treatment you can expect a smoother running engine. Some owners even report quieter engines. After you run it direct, the next year you can just pour it inisde the fuel filter can.
Thank you sir, first TDI so I’m open to anytbing. Just replaced FF last week so I’ll do the purge this week and do it from the fuel lines .
Seen a video on YouTube so I think it’s the direct method

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Note the importance of plumbing in the return line such that the product is recycled and send right back to the injectors in a closed loop.

If you just fill the fuel filter with the product the vast majority of it will get sent back to the fuel tank unused, and thus diluted by a wide margin, since only a small portion of the fuel sent to the injection system actually gets makes it out the injector tip (most is used for cooling and gets sent back to the tank thru the return line).

hajes

TDI
Skoda "Hilda" Octavia HR I
if you have too much money...you can use it.

Otherwise, it is useless crap because it is already part of additives in engine oil. They need to sell petroleum based products.

if you change engine oil in TDi and you let it run for few seconds...it is already "dirty" because it cleans engine. Unless, you are one of those who believe in long life oils - your engine is clean as a whistle and unless you dismantle whole engine and clean it from old oil...you just waste money buy placebo marketing hype.

it is like all engine oil "additives"...maybe, Ceratex ceramic additive may work. I will see next oil sample lab analysis...I doubt there will be any visible difference

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon

Otherwise, it is useless crap because it is already part of additives in engine oil. They need to sell petroleum based products.
I'm personally with you on oil additives... particularly if you are already buying a modern synthetic engine oil of any quality.

*This* particular chemical however is an injection system cleaner that is run for 20-30 minutes thru the injection system in a closed loop (as opposed to just being dumped into the fuel tank) and has a good reputation for quickly making a difference in engines that have injection issues due to gumming or mild nozzle deposits.

I'm a big anti-snake oil guy myself... Diesel Moly Purge being the rare exception. :)

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)

if you change engine oil in TDi and you let it run for few seconds...it is already "dirty" because it cleans engine. Unless, you are one of those who believe in long life oils - your engine is clean as a whistle and unless you dismantle whole engine and clean it from old oil...you just waste money buy placebo marketing hype.

it is like all engine oil "additives"...maybe, Ceratex ceramic additive may work. I will see next oil sample lab analysis...I doubt there will be any visible difference

I tought we were discussing a fuel injector cleaner. Not an oil additive?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
The actual connection to engine oil is that running a Diesel Purge routine reputedly will contaminate your oil, and you should plan on doing an oil change soon afterwards...

Y.

k_pt

Veteran Member
TDI
VW MKIV TDI
Hello, just seein if anyone has used this product.
If so how often? And what results should I expect?
I seen a YouTube video of a guy doing it on a TDI. But did not mention when to do this.
Thank you
What can I say about LM Diesel Purge?

Usually is used when most of the times it's a mechanical problem. So you're just wasting money ...

If you have a slight juddering, a slight injector deviation, LM DP could solve the problem, but it can't do miracles.

Most of the times, LM DP is used, doesn't solve, and you have to do mechanical repair, so you're just wasting an additional $10/15.

Also, don't use too many times, the chemical properties are too aggressive.

hajes

TDI
Skoda "Hilda" Octavia HR I
my bad...I didn't know LM makes new additives. There was "Motor Spüllung" that was for cleaning engine before oil swap.

I always use diesel additives from LM because all modern fuels are crap and only damage fuel pump and injectors due low sulphur, zinc content. I never had fuel system problems. My oldest car has got over 300k km, my latest car has got 250k km

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Sharing my Diesel Purge set-up (pics below)

1 - Jiff Peanut Butter Jar (plastic), clean of course.
2 - In-line filter
3 - Hose, about 6 feet cut in half (3 feet for each, suction and return) 5/16 inch (5/16" = 7.937 mm).
4 - Long slim threaded bolt for center support (bolt 1/8" diameter)
5 - JB Weld (Kwik works just fine)
6 - One plastic elbow (5/16 inch)
7 - Clamps as may be necessary

You can choose any size hose or fittings you desire, just be sure they can be mated to the IP hoses.

Filter attachment - Bore hole in the bottom center of the plastic jar... using sand paper rough up the area around the hole as well as around the circumference of the nipple on the in-line filter. JB Weld the filter on the bottom of the jar. The hole must be large enough to accommodate the nipple on the filter. With mine, the nipple protrudes up above the bottom of the jar.

Plastic Elbow attachment - Bore about one inch from top of the plastic jar. Prepare for JB Weld.

Hanger - Bore a hole in the center of the plastic lid. With appropriate nut and washer screwed in place on the bolt, insert the threaded end through the hole of the lid. Place a washer and nut on bolt on the inside of the lid... tighten both nuts. Use a stiff piece of wire to make an attachment that will swivel on the head of the bolt with a hook on the other end for hanging.

Now, you have a good device to hang above then engine securely as you conduct the diesel purge or doing a prime to the IP after re-sealing, etc. Do not fill above the return pipe. Also, always screw the cap down tight. Air will go in around the hole for the bolt as fuel goes down.

I've been using this home-made device for 5 or 6 years. The JB Weld shows no signs of deterioration. NO LEAKS. I do use plugs when hanging away in storage. And, I do use small gator jaw Vice Grips to crimp off the hose when connecting and disconnecting.

Last edited:

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Here's my setup. It's a mason jar with a couple holes in the lid. Hoses are 5/16" inside diameter vinyl hoses. It would be a good idea to use zip-ties to hold the hoses onto the hose-barbs a little better (or hose clamps). I didn't and they came off five minutes after this video, once the hoses heated up. Would have been fine if it had hose clamps or zip-ties on the connections.

I used epoxy to seal the hoses into the lid, but that's not really necessary. As long as they won't fall out of the holes you're good.

The filter is just a cheap in-line filter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zScRn8_eTc0

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
A filter on the return is a must to keep from running loosened contaminates back through the injectors (as included in the above pics and videos).
Also as Andy stated the lines warm up from being heated. Take care that the lines are not run in a way that they will fold or collapse, starving the pump. Looping lines into a bottle did that once for me.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
A filter on the return is a must to keep from running loosened contaminates back through the injectors (as included in the above pics and videos).
Also as Andy stated the lines warm up from being heated. Take care that the lines are not run in a way that they will fold or collapse, starving the pump. Looping lines into a bottle did that once for me.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
My filter is on the supply line. It cleans the purge solution before it enters the fuel system and injectors.

The dirt that comes out will come through the return line and end up in the jar, but can’t make it back to the supply side of the injectors.

Putting it on the return line would be almost the same, except any dust or anything that was in the jar could enter the fuel system.

The first time I did a purge, when my car was about 12 years old, the fluid turned black. I’ve done it once more and there was no change in the fluid. So I would say it’s worth doing, but not often. It made no difference to how my car ran as far as I could tell.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
My set-up uses a tee instead of having the return line run back into the bottle. I picked up a generic coolant overflow bottle from my FLAPS and it hangs from the hood latch like an I.V. bottle. The side leg of the tee is connected to to the tube from the bottle. One of the laterals of the tee goes to the supply with an in-line filter, and the other is connected to the return. This prevents the bottle from getting hot due to the return fluid. Works like a charm.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes,:( filter on supply

Jacobmarley

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Sedan
This may be the wrong post for this thread but hoping someone can help regardless. Ive been having hard cold starts on a 04 Jetta tdi, long crank times rough idle and lots of smoke but only for the first minute or two otherwise the car is great. Ive replaced the glow plugs, lift/fuel pump, temp gauge and fuel filter to no avail. I went to run a diesel purge, bypassed the fuel filter and my mason glass liter jar filled up way quicker than the car used it. I couldnt even let it run for 15 seconds without it overflowing... So too much fuel causing the hard cold starts? What regulates the fuel flow? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
There is a constant flow of diesel fuel from the tank to the engine and back to the tank............. unbelievable how much flow there is.
So, that is normal.. not one thing wrong with the fuel flowing so much and fast.

You need to make a contraption like mine.

-Jif Peanut Butter jar
-Filter for the bottom center
-Hoses
-One plastic elbow
-JB Weld (it is extremely compatible with diesel fuel and additives)
-1/4 inch ball valve .... most used when storing to keep from dripping diesel fuel all over
-1/4 inch plug to insert in the hoses when finished absence the use of the ball valve
-a long screw/bolt to put in the center of the lid for a wire to hang it on the hood
....................... Be darn careful to not let this contraption fall because diesel fuel will go everywhere.
I've been using this one since 2012 (Notice the stream of fuel shooting into the jar from the side)

The hose out the bottom goes to the In side of your fuel filter.
The other hose goes to the exit side of the Thermal T on the fuel filter. This makes the contraption serve as the Fuel Tank.

Jacobmarley

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Sedan
Thank you for that info, one less thing to troubleshoot. I’ll see if I can rig up something like yours. Im back to thinking its my injectors or since everything is good when its not cold out. Im thinking it’s how long my glow plugs are active for. The GP light doesnt stay on very long.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The GP light will not stay on very long, even on cold days. But, the relay stays kicked-in for several seconds after the light goes off.
You can check the time it is on by using a multimeter at one of the GPs. Have someone turn on the ignition while you check with the multimeter.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
@Jacobmarley this is a BEW right? You mentioned you replaced glow plugs, which ones did you put in? There are two different kinds (5 volt and 7 volt) and you have to make sure you have the right ones for the voltage that the car is putting out.

Jacobmarley

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Sedan
QUOTE="J_dude, post: 5836558, member: 568365"]
@Jacobmarley this is a BEW right? You mentioned you replaced glow plugs, which ones did you put in? There are two different kinds (5 volt and 7 volt) and you have to make sure you have the right ones for the voltage that the car is putting out.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, it’s BEW. I put in Bosch OEM glowplugs. The ebay listing doesn’t say 5v or 7v but probably 5v since im still having issues. This is the eBay listing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2909292187...zWmlxv1QU2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY