04 xenon headlight recomendations

RSMS

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
04 T-REG V-10 as a driver but too many others to list and always changing
I just had a ballast go out on my 04 T-reg and was curious what the options were for this. I'm assuming I should just replace the original Valeo ballast but thought I should ask as there might be something better I'm unaware of. Also any better suggestions on bulbs while I have the one housing removed. thanks

Blownvette

Veteran Member
TDI
1990 Corvette with V10TDI ,2004 (2)V10TDI’s
I went through this a while back and tried aftermarket ballasts. They will light up the headlights but throw a light on the dash. There is some coding that is in the Vw ballasts that is missing on the aftermarket ones. I have a pair of aftermarket ones you can have for cheap if you like or do as I did and get used ones on eBay. That fixed my problem.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Valeo ballasts are available in the aftermarket for about have the price of the dealer. Still expensive, but EVERYTHING on the T'reg is expensive.

Blownvette

Veteran Member
TDI
Valeo ballasts are available in the aftermarket for about have the price of the dealer. Still expensive, but EVERYTHING on the T'reg is expensive.
They will light up the bulb but won’t work with vcds and will throw a error on the dash... I have a pair that I’ll will sell cheap if anyone wants them.

oilhammer

TDI
I have never had any issue with them. They look and operate exactly like the ones taken out, only difference is the VAG part number has been removed.

Perhaps you are getting cheap knock offs from someone on the intarwebs. ;)

Blownvette

Veteran Member
TDI
Nope, got the same ones you did. Exact same as you stated... what year is your V10tdi? Maybe the later ones work? 04-05 definitely will not communicate with VCDS unless flashed by VW.

oilhammer

TDI
I have no V10 TDI (LMAO), I work on these for a living. Any of the VAG products (including, but not limited to, the early T'regs) have never once given me any issues with headlamps. A6s, A8s, Q7s, Eos, GTIs, Phaetons, none of them. :confused:

Unless there is something specific to the BKW equipped T'reg I have never encountered.

Blownvette

Veteran Member
TDI
Gotcha, the Valeo’s will not work with Vcds Ross Tec for sure on the early Touareg’s. I’ll be more and happy to sell you two for $50 if you’re sure they will work. They light up but but as soon as you try to access VCDS a headlight error will pop up on the dash.

RSMS

TDI
The T-reg I'm working on is an 04. I was just planning on buying a non vw # Valeo from one of my vendors, probably the same as you did Vette. Just out of curiosity, what is the Valeo # you bought that wouldn't work and what was the error code if there was one? I wouldn't have expected that as Brian said, I just thought there might have been a better option available. Did you end up bitting the bullet and buying an OEM#?

Blownvette

Veteran Member
TDI
I bought them from Worldpac. They are Valeo. I’ll get the part number. I just bought a pair of used ballast from eBay. They were about $200 for the pair. VCDS won’t let you into the module as the coding is not in the non vw part. If you want the Valeo that I have they will light the bulb but you will loose the headlight leveling and a warning light on the dash will light up. There is a different part number for each side of the truck when you look for replacements. If the aftermarket one you look at had the same part number for both sides that is a redlight that they will not work like the VW ballasts.

RSMS

TDI
very interesting, I was just about to buy the same ones from world pac and then thought I would ask on the forum. Did you ask world pac about the issue for there input or possible $$ relief?

Blownvette

Veteran Member
TDI
No, I really don’t drive the v10’s very often and too much time went by before I figured out the problem. Not many ballasts go bad and mine was from water leaking into the ballasts so I was kind of on my own in finding out this information. One of the few times a dealer part would have been a big time and money saver. Just pick up a used one and you will be fine, or you can take my aftermarket set if you don’t care about the warning light...

Last edited: