Manual transmission fluid change how-to with pics

Hatchet Ratchet

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
$1.34 Tool

as a note, the 17mm nuts/bolts to use ---- 10mm nuts/bolts gets you tp the 17mm hex size. especially helpfulwith an ace hardware and a carquest that stock nothing over a 15mm hex.

BioDub 02

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
I guess I don't understand how you use ramps to get your car up and change the fluid. You put the car on the ramps, drain the fluid, then fill the fluid back up partially...now this is where you lose me...you back the car off the ramps with partial fluid and an open fill hole? Then you top of the oil and I guess see it from the side of the car? Then you pull back on the ramps and the oil doesn't pour out of the fill hole (I believe I read that it is in the front which would help)? Then you get back under the car and close the fill hole?

Can someone explain this to me please? Thanks.

l_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Wrecked and gone: VW Jetta wagon 2002 silver TDI
I usually raise the car onto ramps, just to remove the lower
engine cover (belly pan). At that point you can also loosen these
two fittings (the gearbox drain plug, and the fill plug); but don't unscrew
them enough for any oil to seep out.

Then, drive back down from the ramps ... do the gear oil change and
fill; put the plugs back in, but don't have to torque them down fully yet.
Drive back up on your ramps, torque those plugs, and put the lower cover back on. That's what I suggest; Larry.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
BioDub 02 said:
So, you can reach the drain and fill plugs from the side of the car when it is not lifted?
Fill from the top, drain from the bottom.. But yeah the car doesn't have to be lifted (Atleast mine didn't have to be)

Hatchet Ratchet

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
i just did mine last weekend. shifting felt like pushign a boat ore through sand. the garage told me i needed a new trans, though they didn't turn a wrench on it. was able to get it home, there was only about a cup or trans oil left in it. drained, burnt fluid, refilled with the G060726A2
trans oil<NEW PART NUMBER from old G052> available from tdiparts.com

now the car shifts better than when we got it used.

you can get to those plugs pretty easy w/ belly pan off and car not on jackstands/ramps.

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
OK so 420,000km and I haven't changed the fluid ( Purchased car with 245,000 ) Who knows if it's been done. Maybe I should tackle this with my engine oil change this weekend. Shifts just fine though.
What oil is suggested? Stick with VW fluid, or would any 75w90 do?

egibbys

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta TDI GLS
Sweeps said:
OK so 420,000km and I haven't changed the fluid ( Purchased car with 245,000 ) Who knows if it's been done. Maybe I should tackle this with my engine oil change this weekend. Shifts just fine though.
What oil is suggested? Stick with VW fluid, or would any 75w90 do?

Stick with VW gear oil. I used Redline for about a year and it was horrible when the weather turned cold. Running G70 gear oil now from idparts.

Last edited:

vflflyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI 1.9L w/Manual Trans.
I changed my tranny fluid today on my manual 5speed egr. I have 124k miles on it but most is highway driving. The fluid that came out looked new, but hey now I know I can go another 150k and not worry about it. I will now start checking the level every other oil change. I thought if I changed it it would make shifting smoother since my shifting does not seem to be as smooth as it use to be, but it did not. I used what the dealer gave me and they needed my vin number so I assumed they gave me the right stuff.

Does anyone know what else I can do to make it shift easier:confused:

All I need to do now is flush out my brake fluid but a little nervous about that because not sure in what order things need to be done (LF, RF, LR, RR, Cluch bleeder:confused: )even though I have read plenty of posts

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
lost1wing said:
If you don't have a 17mm allen socket, you can use a 17mm bolt and two 17mm nuts. I since tacked them together and cut off the excess bolt shank.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/3829/medium/DSCF0004.JPG
I wouldn't try this , I've seen the filler/drain plug ruined never able to remove again after this was tried . A bolt head isn't tool steel so not hard enough to handle the torque you will apply when trying to remove the plug . It might work perfectly a time or two then one time it will strip out the plug making it impossible to remove .

Save the trouble and purchase the correct 17 mm socket allen tool before you give this a try . I use a pull handle and a snap-on 17 mm socket allen I purchased 25+ years ago . You get the correct tool and it will be useful for years to come in many cars .

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
vflflyer said:
I changed my tranny fluid today on my manual 5speed egr. I have 124k miles on it but most is highway driving. The fluid that came out looked new, but hey now I know I can go another 150k and not worry about it. I will now start checking the level every other oil change. I thought if I changed it it would make shifting smoother since my shifting does not seem to be as smooth as it use to be, but it did not. I used what the dealer gave me and they needed my vin number so I assumed they gave me the right stuff.

All I need to do now is flush out my brake fluid but a little nervous about that because not sure in what order things need to be done (LF, RF, LR, RR, Cluch bleeder:confused: )even though I have read plenty of posts
Use a 50/50 mix of an oil stabilizer & gear oil and shifts will be smoother . "High Tach" or something similar will do the trick . If the trans is really sloppy this really helps as it coats the gears and synchronizers well all the time reducing wear especially while the system is cold .

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
vflflyer said:
For your 2003 Mk-IV the sequence is:

Clutch, LF, RF, LR, RR.

If you're using a pressure bleeder (strongly recommended), make sure not to go over 14 PSI...

Yuri.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
vflflyer said:
Have you lubed you linkage? I'm not sure what lube to use but a shop did this for me once with an oil change it made a huge difference. I think they just sprayed on the same stuff they used in the door hinges and lock strikers.

vflflyer

Veteran Member
TDI
ymz said:
For your 2003 Mk-IV the sequence is:

Clutch, LF, RF, LR, RR.

If you're using a pressure bleeder (strongly recommended), make sure not to go over 14 PSI...

Yuri.
Thaks for the info, I am thinking about getting the Motive!

vflflyer

Veteran Member
TDI
NarfBLAST said:
Have you lubed you linkage? I'm not sure what lube to use but a shop did this for me once with an oil change it made a huge difference. I think they just sprayed on the same stuff they used in the door hinges and lock strikers.
I have some lithium grease that I was going to use on the mechanism under the shifter cover and maybe even squirt some on the linkage. I think its near the clutch bleeder valve.

Thanks I will definetly do that now!

horsieclatter

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I used a hand grinder to buzz down a 3/4" SAE allen wrench to fit the 17mm plugs. I work at an old school machine shop where these kinds of things are lying around and can be given away... The thing is about a foot long, so its my new specialty tool... The bolt stud trick is pretty good, too. One could also file/grind down a 3/4" barrel nut to fit the plugs....

The old oil came out as brown water, very very thin stuff needed a change as shifting into first from neutral was no longer feasable... I used el-cheapo dino-based gl-5 oil that does not like what little cold weather we get down here, but it still was an improvement. (I did notice that shifting while cold is very important up north and where the OEM oil seems to shine) I intend to replace this crappy trans oil with a good synthetic at my next oil change. Will also lube the linkage & see what happens...

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
horsieclatter said:
... I used el-cheapo dino-based gl-5 oil ...
VW manual transmissions require a GL-4 lubricant... GL-5 fluid should not be used in a synchronized transaxle because the sulphur additives attack the bronze/brass synchros...

Yuri

Jaco Bolle

TDI
03 Jetta Wagon
Thanks for the post Guys

I am about to change the engine and transmission fluid.

As always had a quick look on the forem, and Voilla, pics and everything.

The 17 Mil wheel nut is a great tip, will check on my 03 TDI, if that still works

There is about 150K on my oil, will post a pic after.

Replacing my stuff with Amsoil European Car Formula 5W40 (VW 505.01)
GL-4 Manual Trans Oil 75W-90
Mann 726/2 x

Yes, I am an Amsoil Dealer lol #1264141

skully

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2013 GLI Autobahn w/nav, 2014 BMW 328d wagon
l_c said:
I usually raise the car onto ramps, just to remove the lower
engine cover (belly pan). At that point you can also loosen these
two fittings (the gearbox drain plug, and the fill plug); but don't unscrew
them enough for any oil to seep out.

Then, drive back down from the ramps ... do the gear oil change and
fill; put the plugs back in, but don't have to torque them down fully yet.
Drive back up on your ramps, torque those plugs, and put the lower cover back on. That's what I suggest; Larry.
I did exactly that today when I changed my gear oil, saved me from having to figure out how to do something airheaded, like drive the front onto ramps and jacking up the back to put it on jackstands. (I only have 2 jack-stands, and I have a transmission that had leaked out all its oil.)

Thanks for the great idea!

electryc_monk

TDI
'04 Jetta sedan PD TDI, '03 Beetle 5spd TDI, '02 Golf GTI 6spd, '00 Jetta TDI 5spd
very thankful for this thread..... about to finally have spare time to replace oilpan, install *full metal* panzer plate, tranny fluid swap, filter swap(all), and if time permits.... intake clean again(it's been like 50-60K since last done I'd guess.)