First fill up

brianstrange

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta DSG Auto Pkg 1
Well, I just got 360 miles out of the first 9.97 Gallons (topped). Im not sure if they filled it to the top at delivery, so I'm assuming 36 MPG. I drive both suburban and highway at about 50% each. I drive around 70-75 mph on the highway. Should I expect this to go up as it breaks in?

06.5 DSG TDI PKG 1

Mike_M

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2002 Jetta GLS
brianstrange said:
Well, I just got 360 miles out of the first 9.97 Gallons (topped). Im not sure if they filled it to the top at delivery, so I'm assuming 36 MPG. I drive both suburban and highway at about 50% each. I drive around 70-75 mph on the highway. Should I expect this to go up as it breaks in?

06.5 DSG TDI PKG 1
1) One tank (much less 2/3 of a tank) isn't really a fair test. Fuel foaming, small variations in pumps, the uncertainty about whether it was topped or not at the dealer...all these constitute errors that can make a big difference in calculations.

2) This HAS been asked before about 500 times. Check the existing threads here for answers.

3) It's brand-new...give it 10,000 miles before you start really payin attention to the fuel economy. It'll take that long to start to break in and give you something resembling representative fuel economy. So, in a sense, the answer to your question is "yes".

4) Break it in properly. Use DrivBiWire's break-in procedure, at least for the first 10-30K miles, then gradually switch over to gdr703's modified break-in/driving for MPG. Do a search, and they should pop up.

Welcome aboard! :D

Mike

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
try some BioD in there

brianstrange,

have you considered BioDiesel? you should be aware that any blend higher than B5 (5% bio and 95% petro) will void your VW warranty. however, people report higher MPG when using a BioD blend due to increased lubricity and cetane. some people with new TDIs even use B100 which is awesome. if you're not comfortable risking your warranty, that's perfectly acceptable. at least learn about BioD, and try a B5 blend. i always like to suggest to new TDI drivers to try BioD. if it's not for you, no problem. welcome to the club.