05 Golf repair from accident

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Figured I might as well shoe my progress on the accident. You can see I have the rear end up to remove the axle. And the picture of the bent axle next to the one from the salvage yard.

Wife picked the largest hill in town to go get girl scout candy on rather then go around it and slid hard into a curb sideways. The metal belly pan saved the engine but the front right control arm, inner tie rod and cv axle were all bent. As was the rear axle. I am not to the front shocks yet but I am 90 percent the right is bent and about 50 percent sure the left is also bent. Sucks as the koni reds only had a couple weeks on them. Right side curtain and seat air bags also went off. Got a spare seat. It broke the threads only on the heated power leather seats so I am swapping the air bag over. Two nuts and a connector is all. Just need to figure out what thread to use. I have to still find a side curtain air bag and control module but I am just trying to get it back on the road first. Hoping the hub and or the subframe isn't bent.

New control arm from idparts.com with the better bushings pre installed. Cv axle and rear axle and seat from a 2.0 gasser golf. Rim ordered but found a match. Bent and cracked the rim

Car was totalled for the second time in its life. Getting everything back good to go since body and interior is fine as is drive system. Just need where the rubber meets the road and the two air bags.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Sorry about the mishap...
So, check your steering rack to make sure there isnt slop inside it now(similar to checking wheel bearings or ball joint, move the tire)
Check the bolts for the subframe, specifically if the bolt holes of the subframe got stretched.
I clobbered a palm tree with my driver tire, no airbag deployment but wrecked subframe holes, bend control arm majorly, did not bend my tie rod like yours but did bend my shock pretty good(newer Bilstein TC sport!)

Sounds like you have a good grip on what to do though.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I got he old rear axle bushings out and new ones put in. Old had the metal cage around them. Put tmup into the car but need to bolt the rest back onto the axle. Then I can get to the front shocks.

No work tonight as the Cummings diesel broke the block heater bolt holding it in. Towed home behind the Honda Minivan and got it back repaired. Then had to clear the snow.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
The axle I bought was bent on the pass side. Stinks as I put bushings in there but that was only 30. Salvage yard stood behind it so they are putting a credit towards some other items. I am getting the front subframe from the same parts car and both front hubs. I changed the shock out which was bent but it still is not straight up and down for the front pass tire. Ordered a new rear axle and wheel bearings all around just so I don't have to wait on parts if needed. I didn't order a control arm on hmthe drivers side as I think it should be just the shock on that side.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Question on the air bags. Do I just need to replace the airbag module or do I also need to replace any sensors?

Got the new axle in the rear and the right front hub. While I was in there I did one ebrake cable as one was going bad. Weird thing is I can't get that side to actually stop the wheel and the tension is way different side to side. It just gets to the point of dragging some.

Pulled the side curtain airbag off so I can see while driving. Have an appointment for an alignment tomorrow. If that works out I am going to work on the airbags next.

Let me know on the sensors and which ones would need to be replaced.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
You’ll,probably need to replace the seatbelt to. They have a locking device in them that activates during an accident. Just the one (s) that we’re in use when the accident happened.

Vcds should tell you.

I’ve always liked a black car, and it looks like yours has leather. Nice. I’m glad you’re not sending it to the graveyard.

Last edited:

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Make sure the part number and letter code matches up to the one you are replacing for the air bag module.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Another update. The car is aligned fine. The air-bags are replaced. Only one small tear in the headliner near the B-pillar. It is an old enough car that the interior isn't perfectly clean so you wouldn't notice it unless looking. The seat air bag wasn't too hard. Two phillips screws and the plug-in for the air bag. I unhooked the battery and touched the cables together to make sure there wasn't any capacitance in the system before doing the air bags. I didn't put it all together either until putting the battery bag together to make sure they wouldn't go back off. Reset codes on VCDS. Just need to sew the seat back up.

Sewing of the seat is a hot button in some areas. I am using 46T thread which is what I found is what should be used. I know it is my own risk for doing so. Also don't plan on selling the car. Leather power heated seats it isn't easy to find to replace just the one seat.