2.0 TDI EA288 EGR blanking

2015jettatdi

TDI
2015 jetta
Has anyone figured out how to block (blanking) the EGR on the 2015 2.0 TDI Ea288? older models are pretty easy with installing a blanking plate but I cant find any information on the 2015 2.0. I realize there are exhaust mufflers but I was looking for something easier. Thanks

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
What exactly are you after here?

Volkswagen is giving a VERY generous warranty on that car. I'd leave it alone. Especially in California.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
EGR delete is absolutely NOT necessary or beneficial at all on the EA288.

In fact egr delete is detrimental in some respects.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I was just looking into eliminating/canceling the EGR system to prevent all the reused crap from being recycled.
Hmmmm.... methinks you need to get out of the 1980s and do a little more reading into the emission controls on your modern diesel before making a statement like that.

The "crap" on the low pressure EGR is actually VERY clean. By some measurements, cleaner than the air that is coming into the engine (which is why THAT stuff needs a filter). ;)

Seriously, the warranty is very good on that car. I think you are better off leaving it all alone and having that warranty remain intact. Then, once it is out of warranty, and you feel the need to do something (you probably won't), you certainly can.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
There is a world of difference between the troublesome EGR on the Mk4 rotary-pump TDI and the EA288 models.

The low pressure EGR on yours is from after the catalyst and DPF, which clean out practically all trace of hydrocarbons and soot. The intake-clogging Mk4 had no such thing.

Yours has a modern high-pressure fuel injection system that produces less soot from inside the engine in the first place. And it's running on ultra-low-sulfur diesel fuel which burns cleaner, and this didn't exist until several years after the Mk4 rotary-pump TDI went into production.

The generation 1 common-rail (2009-2014 except Passat) had one issue with the EGR in cold weather, in that the moisture that is inherently in the exhaust can sometimes freeze in the intercooler and in the precisely wrong set of circumstances (alternately freezing and thawing) can cause intercooler freezing. This lesson was learned. Your engine has an intercooler that is part of the engine cooling system and the temperature is kept above freezing and the location of the intercooler is such that water can't build up in low spots and freeze while the engine is off. This is one of the major changes with the EA288.

Primitive emission control systems have indeed caused problems over the years. The lessons are learned and the problems are fixed. Yet the general public associates these problems with "emission control crap" for years, even decades, after the problems are solved.

Get "the fix" done (assuming you want to keep the car) and then LEAVE THE CAR ALONE and enjoy your extended warranty and leave the money they pay you in the bank (or use it to pay down your loan).

fastcar4re

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL (purchased as "new" in May 2017).
Brian P.,
Great explanation! Are you still in a TDI? I see "formerly" so I am only wondering. After my 2005 TDI had to go, I was wondering what a former TDI driver-fanatic drives when they are essentially "gone." Luckily, I found a "new" 2015 TDI.
My regards,
Mark

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Replied in the other post about it, glad to see we're all in agreement there, these cars were setup very well from the factory and shy of minor fuel/boost increases there's not much room for improvement. Thanks for the detailed reply Brian!

Some are modifying the low egr and swirl valves quietly to get around the emissions concerns, wouldn't recommend doing that either, it would explain some of the low mileage DPF failures going around. Same goes for cone filters, they can affect MAF readouts.

Here's a PDF on the motor
http://pics3.tdiclub.com/data/517/820433_EA288.pdf

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Brian P.,
Great explanation! Are you still in a TDI? I see "formerly" so I am only wondering. After my 2005 TDI had to go, I was wondering what a former TDI driver-fanatic drives when they are essentially "gone." Luckily, I found a "new" 2015 TDI.
My regards,
Mark
The 2006 was the last year before emission controls went crazy and I was expecting diesels to become much more complex with that. I considered the 2009 models to be too complex for their own good. I believe this has proven to be a correct assessment ...

I'm back to port-injected non-turbo gasoline engines. I opted to split up the people-and-motorcycle-hauling duties from the high-mileage commuting duties, so I now have a van with the Chrysler Pentastar V6 gas engine and a Fiat 500 for the commuting. Newer gas engines with VVT are acceptable enough on fuel consumption for me (The van is not that bad - 11-and-change L/100 km average which is fine for how big it is, the Fiat uses around 6 L/100 km) and they have way fewer Rube Goldberg fuel delivery and intake and emission control systems to worry about. The Fiat is the regular non-turbo engine ... less to go wrong, and for being either stuck in traffic or on the motorway at 115 km/h on cruise control, it does the job just fine.

I think with the 2015 EA288 models, VW has gotten through the headaches, but evidently just in time to get in a heap of trouble, so that's probably the end of it. I would expect that when the Fiat is done in a few years, my next commuter will be an EV.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
The 2006 was the last year before emission controls went crazy and I was expecting diesels to become much more complex with that. I considered the 2009 models to be too complex for their own good. I believe this has proven to be a correct assessment ...
I'm back to port-injected non-turbo gasoline engines. I opted to split up the people-and-motorcycle-hauling duties from the high-mileage commuting duties, so I now have a van with the Chrysler Pentastar V6 gas engine and a Fiat 500 for the commuting. Newer gas engines with VVT are acceptable enough on fuel consumption for me (The van is not that bad - 11-and-change L/100 km average which is fine for how big it is, the Fiat uses around 6 L/100 km) and they have way fewer Rube Goldberg fuel delivery and intake and emission control systems to worry about. The Fiat is the regular non-turbo engine ... less to go wrong, and for being either stuck in traffic or on the motorway at 115 km/h on cruise control, it does the job just fine.
I think with the 2015 EA288 models, VW has gotten through the headaches, but evidently just in time to get in a heap of trouble, so that's probably the end of it. I would expect that when the Fiat is done in a few years, my next commuter will be an EV.
Damn Brian....