02 vw jetta tdi oil and filter

dieseldave11

TDI
2002 Jetta
what type of oil do i need for an 02 jetta tdi? I was told 5w40 synthetic castrol gtx what type of filter would I need? could I use mobil 1 0w30 advanced fuel economy?

BeccaTDI

TDI
2002 Jetta
most people here will recommend Rotella T6 15w-40

and dissuade most everything else

FLYTDI

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS 5M, ca. 268K miles
Yes, Rotella T6 5W-40. Good for ALH and inexpensive, too (WalMart by the gallon jug).

jgeorge

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 audi a3 tdi
Rotella T6 is a 5w-40 synthetic oil- It's NOT a 15w-40 oil. Stick with it and you'll be fine. Factoy filter easy to obtain and is good quality.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
most people here will recommend Rotella T6 15w-40

and dissuade most everything else
I'm thinking this was a typo and he meant the Rotella T6 full synthetic 5w40.

I've used it for over 200k miles and OEM filters.

My OCI is 5k (which some folks oppose but it works for me). For the past year or so hardly any long trips/commutes mostly short trips. But Ive always stayed on this schedule with one exception when I was commuting almost 500 miles each way weekly and it was cold, my Pella was broken, and my skidplate was on.

A lot of folks seem to run it in their gassers too.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Rotella T6 5w-40 or M1 TDT 5w-40 and Napa Gold filters or Mann if I order some, but usually I go to NAPA and buy 6 at a time. Rotella T6 and M1 TDT are both available at the locally owned fleet store so I can avoid WalMart like the plauge. I change oil every 10+K and the filter every 20K.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
10k miles on the same oil and 20k on the filter isnt that bad for the engine and decrease fuel economy?
10K is the factory recommended interval with the correct synthetic oil, and in fact many of the guys who have done used oil analysis are/have gone 25k miles between changes. In Europe, where they have the engine oil monitoring sensor, some of the intervals are even longer.
I've examined my changed oil filters and even after 20k there is no chance of them being clogged and since many go longer than 20k the life cycle of them is quite extensive. I don't recommend it, but it sure hasn't had any detrimental effect(s).
Bad for mileage?? Why would higher mileage oil/filters affect mileage with any significance?? It is still lubricating as it should, as seen from used oil samples, so why change it early and needlessly?? Look at my mileage numbers. I certainly don't think its hurting. I haven't updated mu Fuelly account for quite a while, but I've run some pretty good tanks for "winter" when I haven't been towing the snowmobile trailer, (a 55 mpg last fill). The '03 that I drive after it warms up here in the north country has often been averaging around 55 mpg on "old" oil. (Click on the Fuelly badge and check out the '03 "Black One". These are my work commute numbers, not road trips)
You've got to get past the old school 3K mile change interval thinking. The cylinders in my '03 when I got it at 167K still have the hone marks clearly visible in them. Now, if the guy that had owned it before had read much of the owners manual and realized there was a timing belt that needed changing now and then, I wouldn't have had that opertunity to look at the hone marks. But it is amazing that something can run that long and still look almost tlike new.

Last edited:

StealthATK

TDI
2005 Jetta (BEW)
what type of oil do i need for an 02 jetta tdi? I was told 5w40 synthetic castrol gtx what type of filter would I need? could I use mobil 1 0w30 advanced fuel economy?
VW is very specific when it comes to the grades of oil it allows to be used in it's diesel engines, and as such has released specifications that the engine oil needs to comply with. Your ALH engine needs engine oil that is 505.00 spec, which is basically an indication of quality. Check the backs of the oils that you have there, and unless it SPECIFICALLY says that it is 505.00 spec DO NOT USE IT.

Also, everyone here is pretty firm on the oil, and they know what they are talking about. If you're dead set on using up what you have make sure it's the right spec. Otherwise, don't chance it. :)

As far as the filter goes, talk to a parts store or your local VW dealership. They can hook you up with a filter. And remember, the longer your OCI, the better quality filter your should rely on.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
VW is very specific when it comes to the grades of oil it allows to be used in it's diesel engines,....
Check your owner's manual, but I believe it suggests Rotella T6 5W-40. With so many different engines it is always best to follow the manual.

Note: The numbers and letters don't mean that the the higher the number is better, rather the it is just a number

03Springer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL+ 2013 A3 TDI

Check this oil analysis out. I still have this oil (M1 TDT) in the car and will run it for another 5K until I change it. Eventuall I may go 20K oil changes. 12ppm of iron after 10K is very low. Granted I have a AMSOIL bypass filter but I leave that in for 30 to 40K.

]http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/03_Golf_Oil_Report.pdf[/url]

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Check your owner's manual, but I believe it suggests Rotella T6 5W-40. With so many different engines it is always best to follow the manual.

Note: The numbers and letters don't mean that the the higher the number is better, rather the it is just a number

No VW manual I have ever seen has recommended or "suggested Rotella T6 5w-40", or any other particilar brand of oil. Rotella T6 is a very good oil meeting the spec and I use it myself, but there is no mention of it in the owners manual.

True, higher number doesn't mean better, but they are not just numbers. They have very specific, useful meaning.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
VW is very specific when it comes to the grades of oil it allows to be used in it's diesel engines, and as such has released specifications that the engine oil needs to comply with. Your ALH engine needs engine oil that is 505.00 spec, which is basically an indication of quality. Check the backs of the oils that you have there, and unless it SPECIFICALLY says that it is 505.00 spec DO NOT USE IT.

Also, everyone here is pretty firm on the oil, and they know what they are talking about. If you're dead set on using up what you have make sure it's the right spec. Otherwise, don't chance it. :)

As far as the filter goes, talk to a parts store or your local VW dealership. They can hook you up with a filter. And remember, the longer your OCI, the better quality filter your should rely on.
M1 TDT and Rotella T6 out perform the 505.00 in many cases, and even the 505.01 in the PDs. Many posts on the forum to prove that.

Last edited:

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
No VW manual I have ever seen has recommended or "suggested Rotella T6 5w-40", or any other particilar brand of oil. Rotella T6 is a very good oil meeting the spec and I use it myself, but there is no mention of it in the owners manual.

True, higher number doesn't mean better, but they are not just numbers. They have very specific, useful meaning.
You are correct and what I wrote was confusing on several levels.

:(

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S

I take it as in the API ratings, not the VW ratings, I wasn't confused.

QUOTE=Joe_Meehan;3754878]You are correct and what I wrote was confusing on several levels.

Last edited: