The Adventures of CompuDub

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Thankfully PA turned out to just be rain when we went through. Made it home without issue :)

On the road again to PA to go visit Langhorne VW!

J

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e

Well that adventure is over. Now it's time to get some work done and make some money!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The fleet! 5 of our 6 diesels are sitting pretty at the house. The 300SDL is living in car54's neighbor's driveway at the moment.

The 350SDL just got a(nother) new turbo and it is running like a champ!

I hope the idiot neighbor doesn't slam into the back of the Benz... maybe we should get Haggerty $$$ insurance for it. :rolleyes:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
:eek:

This hotel is an adventure all on its own. Pro tip: never stay at the Ann Arbor Days Inn. What a dump!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
We were trying to save a bit of money, since we have so many road trips and GTGs planned for this summer. The Days Inn ended up being 2 stars because we slept well... the beds were comfortable.

Next time we stay on a budget, we'll be doing the Microtel. Same price, but a lot nicer!

Some post road trip pictures...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
And fuel economy?

You reminded me about availability-based pricing. The Red Roof Inns I stayed at were marginal (Ann Arbor), and lousy (Cleveland). I'm going to try to bump the hotels up a notch and book earlier for future GTGs this summer to get better rates. I can always cancel if plans change.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Fuel economy on the trip west was 44.0 indicated, 42.5 actual. Fuel economy on the trip east was 48.3 indicated, haven't filled up yet.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Oh yeah! The CB normally lives in the Mk4 with a nice mount on the passenger's side of the center console with the whip on the roof. We slapped it into the Passat for the two road trips and put the antenna on the trunk. The radio is just loose in the car - no holes!

It's great for road trips - traffic and police info, idle chat on occasion, etc.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Hmmm, maybe I'll dig out my old K40 radio. I forgot what make/model CB you have?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Oh snap! Forgot to update the thread.

We got back from CT on Sunday night to find our power at home still out... went down to car54's place and got a 6500 watt gasser generator and backfed the house until Tuesday afternoon when the power company got everything restored. Unfortunately gasser gens are pieces of crap with small flywheels and are unable to start large items like central air conditioning compressors - no worries, we just had a portable unit in our bedroom. Next time we'll hook up the diesel and enjoy central A/C. :D

GeekDrew left to go back home to Ohio yesterday - it was great seeing him. We all had a good time, explored the town and saw the fireworks. It was his first time in this neck of the woods.

Car is still running like a champ. 6,000 miles on it now. Fuelly average is going up and up with all of the recent road trips. Currently sitting at 40.7, but that should go up a bit more when we fill it up this weekend.

In other news, I cleaned up my ridiculous signature to make it a bit more streamlined and also to show off this year's TDIFEST. If you haven't signed up or been to a TDIFest yet, DO IT! It's a great time and supports the site, plus you can turn it into a great ROAD TRIP! :D http://www.tdifest.com

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Interesting pics from the last week...

Trip to CT before traffic

Tank average for same trip including 70 miles of city commuting before the trip

Friday's storm that caused so much damage (cell phone screen shot from Friday night in CT)

Fireworks from National Airport

My buddy's tree service doing a little light lifting with the million dollar crane (165 ton)

Oops! (across the street from the last pic with the crane)

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I'm overdue for a thread update - apologies for that.

Jason and I are heading up to Baltimore tomorrow for brunch and to see Wicked at the Hippodrome with some friends from work. :cool:

My goal is to get the MFI up to 55 MPG for the trip.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Oilhammer was in town earlier this week and took the ECOdiesel back home with him.

I'll miss that little car. :(

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Wicked was great and I recommend anyone in the Baltimore area do brunch at Little Havana!

To Baltimore: 50.0 MPG
Back home: 46.0 MPG

Not as good as I was hoping for but traffic and my patience weren't cooperating today.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Did you buy it Brian?
No money exchanged hands. I am the new "steward" of the car, as I will be trying to part it out for team compudub. Basically, their neighbors were none too happy about it being there, and I have no such neighbors (not no grumpy neighbors, but no neighbors PERIOD).

So if you know anyone that wants any pieces off of it, please let me know. The engine seems pretty tight. It starts easily, minimal start-up smoke, and sounds very good and strong. Gearbox is good, too. Has a lot of good pieces for an A2 fixer-upper, or even an A1 swap.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The 2nd gear syncro was weak. It does have 3 point seatbelts and lower dash trays. It did start great in the cold though :)

-J

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I towed it back with my Golf. Got my worst MPG tank ever... 39! LOL! That was going through the mountains, though. My average on the return trip was still a pretty respectable 42... got 49 going out with just the tow dolly.

I only did about 62 MPH on the return trip. Just fast enough to be able to use 5th gear and not be below 2000 RPMs. The entire trip, which included going to the ASE workshop about 40 miles away, was around 1800 miles. Golf consumed a whole liter of oil round trip, so it was working some on the way back for sure. But it really had no issues at all, even on the hills. Couple downshifts to 4th, but those were only for short stretches on extreme inclines, and I was still passing all the trucks :D.

I have an extra ECOdiesel 020 gearbox in the Archives already, so if this one isn't up to snuff, no big deal.