ALH TDI installing Bosio 520 injector Nozzles

black_tdi515

TDI
2002 VW Jetta ALH TDI
So a while back I bought some bigger injector nozzles for my car off of Kerma TDI. http://www.kermatdi.com/bosio-sprint-520-set-of-4-injector-nozzles/
And it says on the website these can be used in a stock application without having a tune or any other up grades. I was wondering if anyone has done this upgrade and fallen flat on their face. I tried it one time and my dumb @ss accidentally tipped the injector over when I had the nozzle off and all of the spacers and springs fell out, I then put it back together (knowing it was probably not going to work properly now) thus causing it to blow white smoke constantly and the stench of raw diesel was present. So I didn't waste time but I did waste money buying a new set of re manufactured injectors. And I know how to put the nozzles in this time without any issues. Just nervous if its a waste of time. And I did notice a good power difference highway driving when I had the injector nozzles on, just had a rough idle and blew smoke due to injector being put together incorrectly. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!!

InfoSec

Veteran Member
No experience doing it the way you did it, but I'm pretty sure that I've read on idparts.com that you need upgrades for those...

Just checked there website... this is what I found...

"...Bosio Race 520s are among the heaviest fueling nozzles offered for Rotary Pump TDIs. They fuel substantially more than Power Plus 764s.
These nozzles are generally considered too big to use in an otherwise stock TDI: Upgraded turbo, breathing, intercooling, and, of course, tuning should be considered required to get the best results and manageable smoke levels with these nozzles. They may not be the best choice with our VNT 17/22: PP764s or PP502s may work better.
Includes injector seals...."

Mike in Grand Rapids... (BTW, I have a set of Race 520's and they are awesome).

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
These are Sprint 520s - you can absolutely install these without a tune, but be prepared to adjust your fuelling IQ to minimize smoke.

If it were mine, I would absolutely install them myself, but I always:

1) scan and jot down group 13 balance #'s first
2) check spray patterns and primary breaking pressures prior to install
3) scan and check group 13 #s after install to make sure none of the nozzles is streaming or overfuelling and making any of the #13 #'s out of whack compared to prior, or compared to each other

There are others on the board who will spell out gloom, doom and grenaded pistons if you don't use their injector install services, so caveat emptor and make sure you know what you're doing. You will be responsible for any mis-install related engine carnage.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
The Sprint nozzles are supposed to be the same size as the "old European" 110 HP nozzles. Yes you should notice a power increase as our ALH motors are notoriously lean from the factory. If you have smoking then you can adjust the IQ to minimize it.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta wagon, 1949 willys cj3 ALH TDI swap
I ran these without a tune for about 2 months until I got my flashzilla. They ran great with the stock tune. I did have to change my IQ. when I first installed them it would shudder and lope really bad at idle. I bumped my IQ up to 6 and it was perfect. Smooth idle.....only a tiny bit of smoke at WOT. now I am running the same nozzles with a stage 3 tune. I love them. :)

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
I got a malone eco tune when I was stock and just put DLC520 recently. I noticed better power and did not have to adjust IQ or timing at all. I don't get any noticeable smoke, but I am sure there is a little at WOT. I can now slip my clutch in 5th after changing nothing but nozzles so the power is defiantly increased. Maybe find a diesel shop or Bosch service to check them out for you to make sure they are within spec.

Last edited: