What Should be Done After an EGR Delete

hblkr

TDI
2005 Golf TDI
Hello everyone. I have searched the various forum categories and haven't really found if I should do anything at all after a Malone tune (stage 2) and an EGR Delete.

I recently had this done to my BEW Mark IV 2005 Golf. I have seen some much older posts about people disconnecting components and or buying blockoffs that no longer exist or are sold from vendors that don't exist. Some people have even made their own block offs.

What I am looking for and probably didn't find because I don't have the right keyword terminology is a definitive write up of what you should, can, or ideally do after the EGR delete. For example, is it fine to just do nothing and leave everything alone? Or will that cause build up in carbon and eventually choke the system out somewhere? Does using blockoffs improve the system or do people do it just to clean up the system? Etc.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. If the post already exists a link to it would be great. Thank you to anyone for your help and time.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I assume you mean a software EGR delete via the tune.
If that is the case, do nothing beyond regular maintenance unless the IM/EGR is badly clogged.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
If enough years pass, the EGR cooler will start to leak either exhaust gas or coolant or both. There are still many places to buy a block-off plate, the vendors just aren't as obvious as they used to be; especially since the whole VW diesel emission scandal started.

hblkr

TDI
2005 Golf TDI
flee: yes I meant the software tune of both. The EGR software delete. My golf is surprisingly clean and there is hardly any build up.

Nevada TDI: so removing the EGR cooler and blocking off is ideal?

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
IDparts.com has the block off plates (for off road applications only). Put "block off" into the search on the site.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
With Malone tunes I'd get the Dynamic EGR option.

That lets the egr work to help the warm up the engine (faster warm up means better MPG's and less engine wear when cold then once warm the tune turns off the EGR for
better performance and mpg's too (your intake charge is not mixed with exhaust gases).

I did a stage 1 with dynamic EGR on mine.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I second what Andy did, I've done four of our cars with egr delete with dynamic idle.
1 stage one, 2 stage 2 and 1 stage 3. I've removed the coolers and blocked off the pipes.

hblkr

TDI
2005 Golf TDI
Thanks Andrew, I didn't even see that there was a dynamic EGR option. I'll definitely go that route since its the best of both.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
I second what Andy did, I've done four of our cars with egr delete with dynamic idle.
1 stage one, 2 stage 2 and 1 stage 3. I've removed the coolers and blocked off the pipes.
?
If you removed the EGR piping and blocked it off, how is that serving to work with dynamic EGR programming and to warm the coolant?

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
Two different tune items. There is Dynamic EGR and there is Dynamic Idle. Two separate and different tunes doing different things.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Yes sorry , dynamic idle not dynamic egr.

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
not sure if they have it in your state but in mine they do a visual check to see if the emissions equipment is there. For my year Diesel they don't care about check engine lights they care that the equipment is there and you're not rolling coal (<30% opacity)

I was going to put in the block off plates in between the exhaust manifold and cooler & cooler to intake and use longer bolts to hold it all together so it looks like it is there and working when in reality it's not working, & also bypassing the coolant to the cooler.