Indiana People

05_new_jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
MKV Jetta TDI
whats the chances that one of the people going to the dinner soon has vag-com for mk5 cars? i have an airbag light that is bugging the sh** out of me..lol

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 5 sp., 2003, Silver/Grey Int.
I haven't heard from CoolWht yet about the dinner GTG this month, so if I don't hear anything by tomorrow evening, how 'bout I make plans for a Plymouth dinner Tues next week?

X_Railroader

Veteran Member
TDI
none
TDI_Convert said:
I haven't heard from CoolWht yet about the dinner GTG this month, so if I don't hear anything by tomorrow evening, how 'bout I make plans for a Plymouth dinner Tues next week?

I be game if you are:)

Maybe some from the South and East will show up as well:confused:

There a buffet or something like that down there??

Will be watching........

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Due to requests to try a Plymouth location here it is...

Tuesday - June 12 Michiana dinner GTG at:

Applebee's
2225 N Oak Road
Plymouth, IN 46563

I plan to arrive in parking lot about 5:30pm Eastern time - we go in when everyone is there or wait until 6pm Eastern time and go in with whoever has shown up by then - whichever one occurs first! :cool: So please post if you are coming and kindly also let us know if you WILL come or HOPE to make it so those of us who are hungry don't have to wait too long for someone who may not make it. :rolleyes: BTW to find me in the lot look for a white A4 Jetta sedan...

Reminder - the monthly Michiana dinner GTG's normally are held on the second Tuesday of the month there are less conflicts with holidays that way. This is not cast in stone as the date has been changed in the past to accomodate those who participate in this event which so far is a select lonely few. (But maybe that will change for real this time?!)

Be advised the July Michiana dinner GTG may be at the Logan's Steakhouse on the south side of South Bend near the US 31 bypass.

Last edited:

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
05_new_jetta said:
whats the chances that one of the people going to the dinner soon has vag-com for mk5 cars? i have an airbag light that is bugging the sh** out of me..lol
I've got Vag-com - can read and delete codes. LMK if you are coming to the dinner GTG (see post above for details) so I can bring it.

RussEanes

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon
help in Elkhart

My son Nate just moved to Elkhart and also just bought a 96 Passat TDI. It's in good shape, but needs a bit of work. Does anyone in Michiana know of a good TDI mechanic? Any other TDI owners in Elkhart/Goshen/South Bend? I'll tell him about your monthly GTG in Plymouth. I'm not sure yet if he's joined the forum.

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
Russ:

It depends on the amount (and size of the job). There are a few guys here that are kinda knowledgeable and are more than willing to lend a hand to an owner that wants to learn about the car (rather than have the car dropped off and do the work for the owner).

I'm not afraid to tackle most things on the car, but for my timing belt change, I drove to Michigan to have it done. I worked on the car during the TB change, but it was under the direction of someone that has done a few before.

I'm planning on driving to Fowlerville, MI to Marty's (and paying him) to do the brake/spindle/shock/strut swap on my car. He's got a lift, and while I have access to a lift at my neighbor's trans shop, and I feel comfortable in my mechanical ability to do the job, I feel even better helping Marty do the job.

By all means direct him to this place, and this thread. Plymouth isn't that far from SouthBend/Mishawaka (25 miles maybe) and about 30 miles from the South Side of Elkhart, and if he can't make it this month, it looks like next month's dinner GTG will be @ Logan's up there in Mishawaka (or is that South Bend?).

Last edited:

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
CoolWht said:
Due to requests to try a Plymouth location here it is...

Tuesday - June 12 Michiana dinner GTG at:

Applebee's
2225 N Oak Road
Plymouth, IN 46563

I plan to arrive in parking lot about 5:30pm Eastern time - we go in when everyone is there or wait until 6pm Eastern time and go in with whoever has shown up by then - whichever one occurs first! :cool: So please post if you are coming and kindly also let us know if you WILL come or HOPE to make it so those of us who are hungry don't have to wait too long for someone who may not make it. :rolleyes: BTW to find me in the lot look for a white A4 Jetta sedan....
From the North, come down 31 to approx 1 mile South of US 6 in LaPaz. Stay to the right where 31 splits off to the East (South) there and 17 (Michigan Rd) goes South. You will want to stay to the Right on 17 South. The first light you come to will be just North of US RT. 30. Take a right or West at that light on that road (West 7C Road). You cannot go left or you will be driving onto the Plymouth Airport. You will take that West approx. 1 mile to a stop sign where the road comes to a "T". That is Oak Road. Turn Left or South, and turn into the 3rd entrance for the Wal-Mart on your right (just past the Wal-Mart gas pumps). Appleby's is the 2nd building on your left. If you miss this turn, you will have to go across Rt. 30 and turn around.

From the East, take 30 West, past 31, (you will go under that), past 17 (you will go over that) to Oak Road. Once you go over 17, you will see a Lowes on your right (North side of 30) and a Carter Lumber on your Left (South side of 30). That light just past Lowe's & Carter's is Oak Road. Turn Right (North) and turn left at the first entrance available (try and not pass the Wal-Mart gas station). It should be a no-brainer from there.

From the South, take 31 North to US Rt. 30 West, then follow the directions above (from the East).

From the West, well I doubt anybody other than I will be coming from there, but anyway, from the West, take US Rt. 30 East to Plymouth. Turn left at Oak Road (where Wal-Mart is), turn left again at the first entrance to the parking lot (again, don't pass the Wal-Mart gas station) and take another left into the parking lot @ Appleby's.

X-Railroader, yes there is a buffet there, it's a Hong Kong Buffet approx. 3/4 mile to the East of Appleby's, on the frontage road along the South side of 30, actually between 30 and Tractor Supply. If you pass Tractor Supply, turn around in the Lowes parking lot.

Clear as mud???:D

Last edited:

RussEanes

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon
Scott,
thanks a lot for the help. I'll put Nate in touch with you. His problems are varied: clutch, AC, exhaust, door locks. He needs to get the clutch worked on first. Any good clutch shops in SB/Mish/Elkhart?

Amy_D

TDI
2005 Jetta PD-TDI GLS sedan automatic, black
Hi all from Indy. I think it's funny that there are more ppl from Michiana talking about GTG than down here! I actually see quite a few TDIs in Indy, including several at work.

I grew up in South Bend and will be visiting again this weekend. Have fun with the cheap diesel! (It's all relative...)

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
X_Railroader said:
Hows the new chipping TDI workind out???

I been thinking about it!!!!
Why don't you ask crummie (Dave) about his Golf? Remember I drove it up to Marty's for RC Stage 2 - it's an entirely different car now! :cool: Unlike TDI_Convert's wagon the Golf still has original clutch and injectors - clutch slip will not be an issue if he sticks with OEM injectors per Jeff and Oliver of RC. If driven conservately it gets better mileage now well as more useable torque at highway speeds. :) Dave just told me he took a trip to Merrillville and his wife gasped at it's newfound acceleration capabilities! :D

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
RussEanes said:
My son Nate just moved to Elkhart and also just bought a 96 Passat TDI. It's in good shape, but needs a bit of work. Does anyone in Michiana know of a good TDI mechanic? Any other TDI owners in Elkhart/Goshen/South Bend? I'll tell him about your monthly GTG in Plymouth. I'm not sure yet if he's joined the forum.
The local Michiana TDI'ers all have A4 / A5 platform cars (although we've never seen the A5 one yet - he's the one who started this entire thread! :rolleyes: ) and your son's B4 platform Passat TDI is the first one I know of in this area.

I second TDI_Convert's recomendation to head northeast to Marty's in Michigan if your son wants a good TDI oriented mechanic that can be trusted to do quality work the first time! If your son wants to learn and wrench on his Passat himself I'm sure at least TDI_Convert and myself would be happy to give advice/assistance in form of tools/labor depending upon the work scope. If he has not done so yet, tell him to join TDI Club ~and~ to post in this thread - then I can contact him privately off the forums to talk about his Passat. Perhaps we can arrange a local GTG this summer?

The monthly Michiana dinner GTG does not have a set location or restaurant(s) yet as the three of us (TDI_Convert, X_Railroader and myself) trying to make this an established tradition keep trying new things to get other local TDI'ers to join us. The other three local TDI'ers who have repsonded earlier in this thread have said in the past they would join us but so far we have not seen them. :confused: This month's Plymouth location was chosen to reduce the drive time for people from Noblesville, IN and Van Wert, OH who want to join us for dinner. Next month we may try the Logan's on the south side of South Bend where Scottsdale Mall used to be as it offers much easier/faster access to the US 31 bypass compared to the Logan's on Mishawaka's Grape/Main shopping corridor. One of these days we hope to settle on a consistent location(s) and restaurant(s). :cool:

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Amy_D said:
Hi all from Indy. I think it's funny that there are more ppl from Michiana talking about GTG than down here! I actually see quite a few TDIs in Indy, including several at work.

I grew up in South Bend and will be visiting again this weekend. Have fun with the cheap diesel! (It's all relative...)
This thread was actually started by someone in Mishawaka wanting to know if there were other Michiana TDI'ers around he could meet. Due to the broad "Indiana People" title we've had others in the state (and outside of it) post in here as well - mostly Indy area folks. The monthly Michiana dinner GTG was started as a direct result of this thread but so far as barely gotten off the ground for attracting more local TDI'ers - hopefully that will change this month! Same thing for the Indy area people - some posting but no GTG's of either dinner or wrenching kind I'm aware of unfortunely. I'd attend an Indy area GTG if one ever happens, maybe someday...:)

lonegeek

TDI
N/A
I'm in knox. But I travel up to La Porte,Valpo, Merrilville, Schereville areas a lot.

I'll be driving a TDI by the beginning of July.

Thats the plan anyways.

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
Crummie should like the RC2. That's what I drove for the past 85K or so, with the stock injectors. Plenty of power, plus pretty good mileage too!

Russ:
The only experience that I have with a clutch "shop" is doing mine. I actually try to farm out as little of the work on the car as I possibly can. I did mine at my next door neighbor's trans shop, (well, we both did it).
Dars Transmission Service, Plymouth, Indiana. 574-941-2156 Darren.

If you son calls, make sure to tell him to tell Darren that he got the phone # from me. I'll talk to Darren tomorrow after work.

He could also call South Bend Clutch. I'm unsure whether they just mfg. clutches or do installs too. For parts, I'd give some of the vendors here on the forum a shot. In alpahbetical order, BleachedBora, DieselGeek & TDIParts. Look here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=97080

Or, buy the parts on the forum and give Marty a call! I'm pretty sure that my neighbor will install the parts if your son supplies them, but I would call Darren and ask first.

AC? I'll have to look up another friend's number. ;) He worked with me (at my day job) doing AC prototype installs and troubleshooting. He moved on to another company, and is still doing the same thing. He also does AC work out of his house/garage. He lives on the South Side of Goshen.

A tip: I know that if I was working on someone's car, I would rather work on a motor that was freshly washed, rather than on a greasy, oily one. It's easier to see where things go too! I'm not saying that your son's car is dirty, I'm just making a statement in general. (because I see what most of the vehicles look like that are in my neighbor's shop :eek: )

Exhaust and door locks.... Exhaust, well, I would trust an independant shop that does custom work rather than a Midas or other chain.

Door locks - My only suggestion is find a GTG!

Is he the type that would get his hands dirty working on the car, or is he the "here it is, fix it please and give me the bill" type?

X_Railroader

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Baring any memeor lapses or other Old Navy stuff I hope to be there at the chosen time.

Think I will pass the Hong Kong Buffet, thanx anyway

Amy_D

TDI
2005 Jetta PD-TDI GLS sedan automatic, black
CoolWht said:
This thread was actually started by someone in Mishawaka wanting to know if there were other Michiana TDI'ers around he could meet. Due to the broad "Indiana People" title we've had others in the state (and outside of it) post in here as well - mostly Indy area folks.
I read the thread and noticed that... it's just strange to me that Indy doesn't have a more active group. I suppose we're all busy with other things! I did meet Greg out in Greenfield once to have him do my first oil change, but I do my own now.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
wouldn't ya know it... I quit my last job and thought I'd have some time off so I could meet for dinner in plymouth. Now I have to go to wisconsin for training the whole week for my new job. I guess I spoke too soon!
Speaking of greg, he just did a tb change for me yesterday- what a great guy! highly recommended!

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
DCELL said:
wouldn't ya know it... I quit my last job and thought I'd have some time off so I could meet for dinner in plymouth. Now I have to go to wisconsin for training the whole week for my new job. I guess I spoke too soon!
You are actually pretty lucky! It takes quite a bit of time for most people to find another job so congratulations on landing this one! :cool:

After you get settled into the new job let us know if it looks like you can at least make one dinner GTG up here. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be a Michiana dinner GTG regular unless the new job involves alot of traveling which brings you up to Michiana area at times.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Amy_D said:
I read the thread and noticed that... it's just strange to me that Indy doesn't have a more active group.
What's strange is how many TDI'ers are in Indiana period yet there is no GTG activity of any type since I joined here in May 2002! :eek: Only Indiana GTG's I'm aware of was at Drivebywire's ( < know spelling is wrong :eek: ) old place in Hammond years ago before he moved to the Pacific Northwest in late 2001. Up in northern Indiana most of us go to the Michigan GTG's to see other TDI'ers/do wrenching. I agree with you the Indy area has a bunch of TDI'ers - a couple of summers ago one member intended to host a GTG but due to job/family constraints it never happened unfortunely. :(

In all fairness the MI TDI GTG's also don't happen as frequently and I think one factor is that timing belt jobs are not as common as they once were thanks to the 100K interval with the current belt compared to the 40K auto/60K manual belts of the past. And there was the 80K belt for a brief time as well! GTG's used to revolve around timing belt jobs - heck, TB's used to dominate at the MI GTG's but that has changed in the last two years!

I hope someday the Indy TDI people will have a GTG so I can take a drive south for a change (instead of going north to Michigan) to meet them. < hint hint > ;)

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
speaking of garages... my new position is central indiana manager for a national post frame construction company... That's right, we build pole barns! if anyone needs a barn built, or knows anyone that wants to build a shop, refer them to me! I think the first thing I'm going to do is build one for myself...

05_new_jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
MKV Jetta TDI
is their anyone else coming from the east heading to plymouth tomorrow?? Let me know and we could meet somewhere and head that way.

RussEanes

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon
thanks Michiana guys

Hey thanks for all the tremendously helpful responses. I told Nate to get on the forum tonight and to try and make it to the GTG tomorrow in Plymouth.
Check your PM's TDI convert.
I can send you Nate's cell number if you want to contact him directly.
We liked car so much that we are now in the market to get a 97 Passat!