Buying a post-fix 2013-2015 TDI?

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I do about 33K per year, pretty much all highway. You're right about the 2015 fixed TDIs though. Stupid expensive. Seems the 12-14 TDIs are much less. Although seems like they have more undesirable effects from the fix which may be why.
Couldn't tell you but I would honestly stick with a tsi wagon... It'll get under 7L/100km on the highway... It won't be 5L/100km but like I showed, unless you're getting a tdi for close to the price of an equivalent gasser, it ain't worth it for the amount of km you do

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
Couldn't tell you but I would honestly stick with a tsi wagon... It'll get under 7L/100km on the highway... It won't be 5L/100km but like I showed, unless you're getting a tdi for close to the price of an equivalent gasser, it ain't worth it for the amount of km you do
Wonder if a TSI wagon can confidently go 300K without major repairs. I'm actually thinking about a Honda Fit at this point.

Last edited:

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Wonder if a TSI wagon can confidently go 300K without major repairs. I'm actually thinking about a Honda Fit at this point.
With proper maintenance I don't see why not... Plenty of old vag cars with over 300k still on the road, and with all the new tech and now the emission update on the tdis, the same can be said about them if they'll make it to 300k. Now if you're thinking fit, I would suggest looking into a hatchback civic, much bigger and more practical...

You can honestly find something wrong with every single car...

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
TSIs and many other direct injection gasoline engines has problems with intake carbon build up and require periodic maintenance that, includes removal of the manifold and walnut blasting the ports. This procedure isn't cheap. Basically this is the same thing that the TDIs need when the EGR is not blocked off. Having said that, the regular FI 1.8t engines can go well beyond 300K with very little effort.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
TSIs and many other direct injection gasoline engines has problems with intake carbon build up and require periodic maintenance that, includes removal of the manifold and walnut blasting the ports. This procedure isn't cheap. Basically this is the same thing that the TDIs need when the EGR is not blocked off. Having said that, the regular FI 1.8t engines can go well beyond 300K with very little effort.
Unfortunately this is true, and from what I know, early DI VAG engines seems to have this issue quite a lot... i'm at 52000km and some have reported that you could see build up as early as that, but knock on wood, I have yet to have any issues

I suppose this is the price to pay for newer, more "efficient" technology... can't wait until mazda comes out with their HCCI engine. If/when that will happen, I wonder how many issues it'll have :rolleyes:

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
Unfortunately this is true, and from what I know, early DI VAG engines seems to have this issue quite a lot... i'm at 52000km and some have reported that you could see build up as early as that, but knock on wood, I have yet to have any issues

I suppose this is the price to pay for newer, more "efficient" technology... can't wait until mazda comes out with their HCCI engine. If/when that will happen, I wonder how many issues it'll have :rolleyes:
My mk6 GTI (2.0 TSI) suffers from this. I had to get it cleaned out shortly after I bought it (covered under warranty) at around 60K. Not sure if there was something about the previous owner's driving habits or fuel selection that caused this so early. I'm hoping it will last longer under my 80%+ highway driving conditions.

Are the newest TSI engines better for carbon buildup than the mk6? I've heard rumblings that this may be true but I haven't seen any compelling data.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
My mk6 GTI (2.0 TSI) suffers from this. I had to get it cleaned out shortly after I bought it (covered under warranty) at around 60K. Not sure if there was something about the previous owner's driving habits or fuel selection that caused this so early. I'm hoping it will last longer under my 80%+ highway driving conditions.
Are the newest TSI engines better for carbon buildup than the mk6? I've heard rumblings that this may be true but I haven't seen any compelling data.
Some say yes, but like you I haven't seen any evidence to support the claims... Fuel unfortunately won't help the issue, as from what I read, the issue lies in the design of the intake or something like that (I can't remember specifically off the top of my head what exactly). I'm under extended warranty until 2020 or 120k so at least I'll be covered if it does happen anytime in the near future

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
I've heard that now some direct injection gasoline engines have small conventional fuel injectors in the intake manifold (where there used to be in the past) that sprays the port and the valves with small amount of fuel to keep them clean. I haven't looked this up yet but makes sense to me if this is true.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I've heard that now some direct injection gasoline engines have small conventional fuel injectors in the intake manifold (where there used to be in the past) that sprays the port and the valves with small amount of fuel to keep them clean. I haven't looked this up yet but makes sense to me if this is true.
This is actually true of MK7 golfs in Europe, where they have both multi port injection and direct injection specifically for this reason, now why it's not in North American engines beats me

here's a link to vortex talking about this

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6984506-What-Happened-To-The-Dual-Injected-EA888