2006 TDI Blew UP! Part 2 "The Nightmare Begins"

skiges

TDI
2006 TDI Wagon
Hi Everyone,
A few weeks ago I posted about my TDI, here is the original post.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=284137

I am sorry to say things have gone from bad to worse.

I had it towed back to the place I purchased it from and the owner felt bad and agreed to source a new engine, charging me his cost $2500 and he would absorb the labor.

They installed the new engine started it and 2 min latter this engine also blew.

He said the original engine oil did not have coolant in it but diesel. They also found diesel in the oil of the second engine.

His repair people are stumped. They work on TDI's all the time and have never seen this. They have reached out to others in the field and not sure what to make of it. I mentioned the turbo as it was suggested by several people in the last post but they said it was fine. This time when the engine went it also did not do the same runaway acceleration that had happened to me. But the it did have diesel in the oil.

Now they are thinking of some kind of issue with the fuel pump, injectors, computer, etc..... They are of course very paranoid and have offered this solution.

I pay another $2500 for another engine, they install it and tow it to either a dealer or other TDI guru to start it and access it. They do not want to start it and be responsible for labor on another engine.

I feel pretty stuck as other shops I have spoken to want $5,000-6,000. I am also paranoid as once it get towed to another shop or dealer to get checked out that is another tab that I will start paying.

I got a pretty good deal on the car and have really enjoyed it but feel between a rock and hard place. I can't throw $15,000 out the window but need the bleeding to stop.

Any ideas on Diesel in the Oil?

Thanks,
Steve

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Retract the deal and see if they will go for it. Let them keep the car.

Their insurance would be involved on the engine issues too.

If they stuffed the injectors in without replacing the seals they could leak and cause thhe issues you had.

Steve99

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI, 04 R32
Ouch, care to mention the place you bought it from? You could always PM it to me if you don't want to post about it.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
Sorry I don't know the engine in your car as mine is the ALH. But I have run diesels for 40 years and IF your engine is the one with the injectors under the valve cover a number of things could be leaking diesel into the oil including a bad seal or cracked in the injection line itself. I once had a V8 Detroit fill up with diesel the same way and when the Valve cover was pulled of the fuel line was cracked in half.

BridelessRacing

TDI
97 jetta 02 beetle 03 Cummins
the engine is already dead. remove valve cover and pressure up the fuel system you will find the leak.

timk519

Veteran Member
TDI
Last: 2012 TDI JSW
skiges said:
I pay another $2500 for another engine, they install it and tow it to either a dealer or other TDI guru to start it and access it. They do not want to start it and be responsible for labor on another engine.
Let me get this straight - they sourced another engine, installed it themselves, started the car, and 2 min later the engine died - and they want you to pay another $2500 for another engine?

I don't think so.

I presume you've got all the receipts for the new engine, installation, etc?

Last edited:

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I'm wondering if they put in a long block without injectors and used your old injectors.

If they did, and there is a bad injector that is streaming horribly, I suppose it could quickly wreck an engine as you are describing.

But there is NO STINKING WAY I'd expect a customer to pay for an engine that I blew up!

Is it an engine out of a wrecking yard? Did they do any pre-installation inspection? I ALWAYS pull the head on a junk yard engine, just to make sure. Also, I never buy ANY engine for an installation without a minimum 90 day warranty from the guys I get it from.

So, where did they get the engine?

PM me.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I have read of a couple of instances of this happening on the pumpe duse TDI where the tandem pump, or the tandem pump gasket, fails in a way that allows fuel to flow into the oil galley that lubricases the pump and fills the crankcase up with diesel fuel.

Did the replacement engine end up using the tandem pump from the first engine?

--Nate

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
I have read of a couple of instances of this happening on the pumpe duse TDI where the tandem pump, or the tandem pump gasket, fails in a way that allows fuel to flow into the oil galley that lubricases the pump and fills the crankcase up with diesel fuel.

Did the replacement engine end up using the tandem pump from the first engine?

--Nate
If I read the initial post right the replacement engine failed after 2 minutes of running. I seriously doubt that enough fuel dilution could result from 2 minutes of running, even with a significant leak into the crankcase do take out an engine in couple of minutes of running. Somthing here doesn't wash.