Survey of TDIClub members

If your turbo has not failed, how many miles are on it?

• Performance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Longevity

• Emissions

• Able to use Biodiesel

• Performance

• Economy

• Longevity

• Emissions

• Able to use Biodiesel

• Performance

• Economy

• Longevity

• Emissions

• Able to use Biodiesel

• <10,000 miles (16,000km)

• 10,001 miles – 15,000 miles (24,000km)

• 20,001 miles – 25,000 miles (40,000km)

• 30,001 miles – 35,000 miles (56,000km)

• 35,001 miles – 40,000 miles (64,000km)

• 45,001 miles – 50,000 miles (80,000km)

• It’s a Volkswagen

• It’s a diesel

• It runs on biodiesel

• It’s fuel efficient

• It saves me money

• I pretty much never have a problem finding a station, and dont mind the experience

• I pretty much never have a problem finding a station, but I dont like the experience (ie smell, clea

• I only have a problem finding a station when Im traveling far from home, but I dont like the experie

• Yes, I often have a problem finding stations, but dont mind the experience when I do

• Yes, I often have a problem finding stations, but I dont like the experience (ie smell, cleanliness

• This is my first

• This is my second

• This is my third

• This is my fourth

• This is my fifth

• Too many to count… It has been a lot.

• A diesel of course

• Diesel cars are not for sale in my state, but if it where I would buy another diesel

• A gasoline car

• A gasoline hybrid

• I only run regular diesel

• ~B5 (5% blend of biodiesel)

• ~B20 (20% blend of biodiesel)

• ~B50 (50% blend of Biodiesel)

• B99/B100 (Pure biodiesel)

• It’s too expensive

• There is no local availability, but I would like to use it

• I don’t have confidence in it (I’m looking for more Standards, tests, etc)

• Driving Range

• Driving Range

• Driving Range

• Total voters

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
I’m polling TDIClub members to get some actual numbers on what drives makes us such enthusiasts to TDIs and diesels in general. I’ll be using this for part of my presentation to the Diesel Technology Forum in Washington DC later this month. They would like to hear from us consumers on what drives us towards diesels. Comments can be left below as well.

Thanks for your time on this and I’ll be closing the poll on Saturday at 9pm Pacific.

For those how love to write, they also have a ” Why I Love My Diesel Essay Contest” where you could win a $150 diesel fuel card.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I have to say, it's the convergence of ALL the "Like about your TDI" items which can't be beat. The total package just comes together so well... these cars were meant to be driven hard, for long distances, without stoping. It makes my 40 mile commute to school much more pleasant.

-J

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Yep, all my classmates are envious that I can get 45 MPG and only have to fill up once every month and a half...but then when I have the long road trips, the car is that much more fun!

Thanks Derf!
-BB

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Fred, you forgot one attribute that's just about foremost for me:

Driving range!!! The ability to go over 700 miles / tank (more like 800...) which gives me the utmost flexibility in my driving.

Of course, the thing that makes owning this car affordable, is having this website to help with the little annoyances that are built into most VW's...

Thanks for keeping this going !!!!!

Yuri.

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
The question about finding diesel made me chuckle.

Everyone asks what I do when I'm traveling. And I always say... "there's plenty of diesel on the highways... trucks use it".

And in practice, I've never had a problem. When I'm alone.

However... stick my wife in the car, and it's a sure way to make all diesel stations vanish. If the interstate sign has a "D" on it, the respective station is sure to be out of business, or dug up. And when I do find diesel, it's a 10 gallon per second truck pump where you need to pay inside (biggest peeve), and when I'm finally done... I've got fuel hiccup and spray all over my pants.

deuskid

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta GLS, dark green, stock, 120K miles
My reason is 'a' reason but are reasons. It is a multivariable decision and diesels have the best 'blend' of attributes in total.

I would entertain drving a diesel other than VW if/when they become available here in the states. I'm not so married to VW or TDI as I am diesels.

John

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Fred, you forgot one attribute that's just about foremost for me:

Driving range!!! The ability to go over 700 miles / tank (more like 800...) which gives me the utmost flexibility in my driving.
Opps, that is a very valid point. I have added that now.

Fred

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
Will you be making the poll results available when completed? I had some difficulty deciding what to enter under the bio-diesel entry as my use is more complicated than the choices available. I run B100 when the Maryland Soybean Board rebate is available as that cuts the price in half and B20 or so when it isn't. I tried to show this by selecting B50 and then checking the "bio-diesel is too expensive" button in the next question. Sometime in the future I might start producing my own at which point I will go B100 as possible here in Maryland.

jimlockey

Veteran Member
TDI
14 TDI Jetta & 09 TDI Sportwagen
I've been driving diesels for 10 years and have never had a problem finding diesel all over the US. Two trucks, two VW's.

armoredman

TDI
96 Passat TDI sedan 141K/89 Jetta diesel 187K
I'm a second generation VW diesel owner and I have over 500,000 lifetime miles in VW diesel cars alone. I also drove trucks for a while and so I have a great appreciation for the fuel efficiency, and longevity of these vehicles. I look forward to the day that Bio-Diesel is as readily available as Diesel is today...

05TDIPDHappy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2005 Indigo Blue
Always a VW owner and have lusted after a Diesel for years, but couldn't get rid of my old (paid for) VW untill I felt it was time (410K).
Now I'm in heaven, my parents keep asking me if I still like my TDI. I just can't wipe the smile from my face when I think about it. The Economy of 55mpg, with a range of 800+ miles and still not on Empty, comfortable car with great road manors for something with a price tag of <22K how can you beat it...

Well by bringing in the VW Polo of course. If the US wants to reduce the consumption of fuel, in my opinion economy is the only way. The Polo would get another 10-20% better economy than the Golf and is plenty roomy for the average comuter.

Rather than makeing cars safer by building bigger and bigger (which means less and less economy) the governement needs to encourage smaller vehicle production and regulation. Who realy needs an Excursion when you vertually can't find a parking place in any city that it will fit in. Just think you could put in 2 parking meeters and double city revinue from parking alone.

MrK

TDI
2005.5 Jetta 5-spd Pkg 1 Black/Beige
One other option should be added about non-use of bio: my car's still under warranty and VW hasn't approved of anything higher than B5!

Vectorer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premo
One practical reason why Mrs. V. & I drive diesels is "combustible vs. flammable". In a bad wreck, the diesel isn't going to go kablooey. This is at the top of our priority list. All else is sweet icing on our TDI cakes. Bad wrecks happen. I slammed into a Pinto once that had just pulled onto the road after topping-off. Both cars totalled.

No crispy critters. We want to keep it that way!

DieselLover

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS 2002 Black
This is my first Diesel car that I've owned, but my parents had three Diesel cars back in the 1970s/1980s (one Peugeot and two Oldsmobiles).

Stuart

DieselLover

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS 2002 Black
One practical reason why Mrs. V. & I drive diesels is "combustible vs. flammable". In a bad wreck, the diesel isn't going to go kablooey. This is at the top of our priority list. All else is sweet icing on our TDI cakes. Bad wrecks happen. I slammed into a Pinto once that had just pulled onto the road after topping-off. Both cars totalled.

No crispy critters. We want to keep it that way!
Ditto here. Safety is another reason for Diesel. I've seen too many stories over the years of "car flambe."

Stuart

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
I run B100, and drive a long way to get it (75 miles each way). You might want to add an option for that.

bear's TDI

TDI
1998 Jetta, 2005 Passat GL, (2) 2010 JSW
I've driven many diesels by many manufacturers over the past 40 years. VW has supplied 3. Overall, performance and economy have kept me coming back. Longevity means I can keep driving 30K+ a year and still keep a car after it's paid off!!

bradfa

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDIs anymore :(
Main reason I have a diesel:
I saw an ad back when the mk3 style Jettas came out about getting 50 miles to the gallon and how it was the cheapest speeding ticket you could ever hope to get. This was before I had my license. Always wanted a diesel Jetta since.

I even have pictures of diesel Jettas from when my family would go on vacation. I used to take pictures of the ones I saw on the road. My mom always laughed at me. Now she laughs even harder.

If anyone has a high res picture of the ad I'm talking about, I wouldn't mind a link.

Othern than that, I just like being unique. Basically, the Jetta is my first car that I pay for (used to drive my parent's old minivan at college). My choice was between a Mini and the Jetta. Although now I like the Golfs too. Sadly, probably won't be buying another diesel, as long as I live in NY. I just hope I don't wreck.
I love my Jetta.

Really wish the CARB laws didn't make diesel cars illegal. But ironically, no emissions laws for diesel cars. Gotta love NY.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Glad you changed the poll... I did vote "Longevity" yesterday (before the change), so if you'd like to move one vote from that column to "Driving Range" that would more accurately reflect at least my point of view.

All the best,

Yuri.

DezlDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat TDI Variant - United Grey
For me the reasons for driving a diesel are too long to list, but aside from the savings, longevity, etc, it comes down to the fact that a diesel car is truly a unique piece of machinery; particularly in North America. It says so much about the driver/ owner, who is likely a discerning individual who desires much more from a vehicle than a "cookie cutter" experience. In other words, the diesel owner tends to look at his/her car as a loyal companion, rather than just an appliance. This is my second, and I'm hooked for life! The rattle of my diesel engine makes me grin with pride.

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
For me the reasons for driving a diesel are too long to list, but aside from the savings, longevity, etc, it comes down to the fact that a diesel car is truly a unique piece of machinery; particularly in North America. It says so much about the driver/ owner, who is likely a discerning individual who desires much more from a vehicle than a "cookie cutter" experience. In other words, the diesel owner tends to look at his/her car as a loyal companion, rather than just an appliance. This is my second, and I'm hooked for life! The rattle of my diesel engine makes me grin with pride.
DezlDan, Your description here is so close to mine, it's actually scary because I can't even add a fricken word in addition
!

DeathEngine

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB
NA TDI and performance is an oxymoron.
I for one disagree, Performance is my number 1 reason for loving my tdi, with economy being a close second. I just hope NA gets more options in the future. Perhaps thats what you mean by NA and oxymoronm in which case I would tend to agree.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
One of my College friends family had 3 Oldsmoblie diesels and the they loved them. The replaced thier fuel pump gaskets with metal ones and car cars ran forever in fact the still have 2 of them on the road (this goes back from the 80's. GM just got lazy and skimped on a few things and the gave diesels a bad rap.

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
NA TDI and performance is an oxymoron.
Care to explain, that doesn't make sense?
I think he means 'North American' TDI.
Unless "NA" refers to Naturally Aspirated TDI.

I didn't buy mine for the performance... 0-60 wise, it's definately not fast. Even compared to our minivan. But the engine characteristics make it one of the easiest cars to drive that I've owned. As a commuter car... that's more importaint than how well it does a 1/4 mile.

MileageDude

Veteran Member
I would image that some of these members on this board have lived in europe/middle east or did military duty over there [living and duty combine]. It's too bad that there wasn't a poll question asking if you had experience/ownership with diesels over seas.

M.D.