Anyone still have their TDI's?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
My TDI are gone, mostly. I still have far too many parts and need to start posting them in the for sale section.
Do I miss any of the 14 VW diesels I owned? some less than others, but I miss none as much as I had originally thought I might.
Then again I'm not driving 45k miles a year any more. My work commute had been 62 mi each way 5 days a week, then add on field service calls. Now it's 6.5 miles each way, four times a week, and no travel.
I still have the idi diesel lawn mower / snow thrower, and still run biodiesel in that, so I haven't completely left the fold.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Like Homer's spirit guide in the insanity peppers episode said, 'if anything you should get more TDI's'. I asked my son how he liked his Focus provided by the folks he works for. He likes his 2000 Jetta better. Can't say I'd disagree... :)

Douglas

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
My niece's friend years ago got in the back seat of my '91 Jetta and sat and stared at the window crank (she was probably 12 or so at the time). It was comical. :D

ITSPREZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 5spd
I still have mine, bought in 2003 with 20k miles on it. Just put new set of tires on and bought a donor for the leather interior and rear bumper.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Bought my 2015 Jetta SEL TDI loaded 6 Speed Manual ordered for me by the Late Great Chris Farnham in Feb 2015 Chris Passed a month Later :(. Diesel gate dropped 6months later changing the TDI scene forever……Vw Paid me 8K to keep and a Long Warranty it was a no brainer for me!

Last edited:

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I am the second owner of my 2001 Jetta, I just crossed 305k; my Wife wants to get something that doesn't need the occasional this-or-that. Well, I don't want to pick up a car payment and extra insurance.
The Drivers seat is well worn and needs to be replaced as well as the Driver's side door card.
After all the goodies under the hood and new suspension, I can live with a well-worn seat and elbow rest until I find one priced fairly.

Golf Wang

TDI
2016 Touareg TDI Exec
I bought my first TDI this year in January. I managed to make out like a bandit selling my 2019 Alltrack for 10K more than I paid brand new after 2 years of ownership and 20K miles. I put all the cash into my 2016 Touareg TDI Exec which was stop-saled on its way to America in 2015/16. The in-service is 5/2019 so I am covered to 2029 on my factory power train and dieselgate warranties. Currently at 40K, bought @ 30K in January.

best car I’ve ever owned. Obsessed with the diesel torque.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I've been on this forum for a good number of years. I don't have a TDI anymore as I sold mine and then diesel prices went through the roof and continue to be almost $2.00 gallon higher than RUG around here. I can't find a clean TDI at a decent price that can justify paying the high fuel prices. I know this is a bad time to buy any car, and TDI's are vanishing from the marketplace. I'd love to have a clean 2000 - 2005 Jetta again.

DCM1

TDI
2001 Jetta sedan 5 speed
I just bought my first TDI jetta, with 364K kms. So far it’s okay. Doesn’t smell like my Toyotas inside and I don’t like the interior plastics, but it’s only a to and from work car.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I just bought my first TDI jetta, with 364K kms. So far it’s okay. Doesn’t smell like my Toyotas inside and I don’t like the interior plastics, but it’s only a to and from work car.
Yeah, those early model Jetta's (and likely Golfs) have some nasty plastic .... Great engine and transmission.
You should confirm the age and miles on the Timing Belt and associated components. Also, unless you can confirm, you should change the transmission oil too. Happy motoring !

DCM1

TDI
2001 Jetta sedan 5 speed
Yeah, those early model Jetta's (and likely Golfs) have some nasty plastic .... Great engine and transmission.
You should confirm the age and miles on the Timing Belt and associated components. Also, unless you can confirm, you should change the transmission oil too. Happy motoring !
Lol, yeah it’s like a slimy coating on all the dash and door plastics.
I bought the car with a blown timing belt, and swapped in and engine and transmission from a same year Golf tdi. I did the timing belt, tensioner and water pump with the engine out of the car, as well as an 11mm pump. The engine already had a bv43 and Passat exhaust manifold, bigger injectors, and the usual engine stuff deleted, oh and 3 bar map sensor. I didn’t know that when I bought the parts car from salvage. Stage 4 Malone tune as well. VCDS has been fun to learn as well.
Thanks for the suggestion on the transaxle oil change.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
IIRC, things like clorox wipes work for removing the slime.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I'm still here...still have the 1997 Mk3 TDI I bought in 2002, still driving the B3V TDI conversion I finished in 2016. Working on a B6V conversion now. Have too many cars, need to sell off some of the accumulation.

Steve

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Still have my 2015 Jetta SEL TDI ( Diesel Gate Car) wife‘s Daily driver now….only has 66k miles on it! Also have a 2014 BMW 328D Xdrive and a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland EcoDiesel ove them all all with low miles

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Still have my 03 Jetta with an 01 engine. The car belonged to my brother. His 01 was T-boned. He purchased the 03 from a Trusted Mechanic (on the list). About 12k miles later the engine blew (long story). An employee at the place said they bought the car at auction and it had to be pushed thru the line. Anyway, I bought the car from my brother. It has 278k miles on it with 328k on the engine.... I'm doing some major maintenance on it. My son has my first TDI (2000). It has 380k and still going fine. Oh, an the ALH TDI in my Vanagon is doing great too!

Last edited:

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Still Rocking the '02, 433K
You were one of the first tdiclub members I met. Probably around 2003 at a gtg somewhere in the northern twincities suburbs if I'm remembering correctly. Congrats on keeping your car for so many miles! I often feel I made a mistake going from my a4 first to an a5 and now to an a6.

I do like my '14 wagon but definitely miss the mpg and range of the a4. I do still have a B4v so if I REALLY want some long road trip range I can always jump in that.

Not sure if you made it to the gtg that Pete (drivebywire) came up from Chicago for or any of the ones Deafbug 😢 was at.

Hope many more good miles for you and your car!

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I haven't been around for a few (5-6 ?) years, but
1. I'm still driving my 2000 NB (5 speed conversion). 385,000+ miles. Clearcoat doesn't look very good, some rust spots. Have a loose glowplug that will require pulling / replacing the head to fix. Front suspension rattles like heck, needs new front tires / alignment, was thinking about replacing the front struts while I was at it.
2. Still driving 2015 Golf SE. 137,000 miles, still running good. Looking at having Timing belt job done at 140,000 miles (probably in 6 weeks or so)
3. Have acquired, and got running a 2012 Jetta SW (car was free - but we had to invest way too much getting it running). Still needs the DPF taken care of, and some IAT temp sensors . 167,000 miles, maybe some glowplug sensors ? We have a CEL and a flashing glowplug light on this, although the car is running good right now. It was a classic "VW's do not like being neglected" car.

The independent mechanic we have been taking them to doesn't seem too enthused with working on these old cars. Maybe I need to find another independent not too far from KC Kansas. The dealer that we had get the Jetta running has been great.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
1. I'm still driving my 2000 NB (5 speed conversion). 385,000+ miles. Clearcoat doesn't look very good, some rust spots. Have a loose glowplug that will require pulling / replacing the head to fix. Front suspension rattles like heck, needs new front tires / alignment, was thinking about replacing the front struts while I was at it.
2. Still driving 2015 Golf SE. 137,000 miles, still running good. Looking at having Timing belt job done at 140,000 miles (probably in 6 weeks or so)
3. Have acquired, and got running a 2012 Jetta SW (car was free - but we had to invest way too much getting it running). Still needs the DPF taken care of, and some IAT temp sensors . 167,000 miles, maybe some glowplug sensors ? We have a CEL and a flashing glowplug light on this, although the car is running good right now. It was a classic "VW's do not like being neglected" car.

The independent mechanic we have been taking them to doesn't seem too enthused with working on these old cars. Maybe I need to find another independent not too far from KC Kansas. The dealer that we had get the Jetta running has been great.
Welcome back!

On the NB, you may want to look at the control arm and swaybar bushings as well - those could also be contributing to the rattling, and better you do the bushings before the alignment than after.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I got my 2015 5 1/2 years ago with 49,000 kms .... just turned 102,000 last week. Retired and not driving much anymore.
Yeah, my driving nose-dived when I retired. My daily commute was long and I did about 1,000 miles per month on the job.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Welcome back!

On the NB, you may want to look at the control arm and swaybar bushings as well - those could also be contributing to the rattling, and better you do the bushings before the alignment than after.
Thanks for the welcome back, and the bushings had been a thought as well

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
no need to pull the head to fix that glow plug. They can be carefully drilled out. Threads repaired even with timesert without pulling head.