CP3 fuel pump upgrade thread

T1MMBOJONES

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH 01M wagon
I think if you read far enough back it’s explained why the d max cp3’s wont work, if I remember right the pumps are closest to or are the same as CR jeep liberty’s
I thought huckstorf sent their pumps out? or they used to i have a alh they replaced the pump on in 16 and they were sending them out then.obviously that was a while ago though
ok thanks, they might send it out now which would be kinda odd as they began specifically as a diesel injection pump rebuild shop and gradually began servicing all things diesel. i know a lot has changed in 30 years and also
know very few people own tooling to rebuild bosch injectors so the pumps may be similar...

T1MMBOJONES

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH 01M wagon
well i ordered my whitbread kit today with a remanufactured cp3. also ordered my timing belt kit and 40k kit from idparts today. got the billet lower cover while i was in this deep...owned it for 18months and 40k miles now currently approaching 90k. this will be my second dsg service, fourth oil change and third fuel filter... just paid it off and want it to last a bit. i still have 40k remaining on my extended warranty but wanted to check some items off my list. not gonna lie im a tad intimidated but thanks to the forum im pretty confident it will go well, i replaced a cp3 in my old duramax about ten years ago it cant be worse than that.... as much as id love to tune and delete it i intend on keeping it stock for the moment however there seem to be contradictions as to whether this is doable wothout a tune? just realized i dont have a signature... car is a 2013 Sportwagen obviously tdi/dsg combo. only "mods" include the osiris skidplate and rear wiper delete.

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Cp3 dont need a tune. Its a “plug and play” kit but tune will make it nicer and benefits you a tad smoother operation overall but its your hard earned penny to pay for if you desire for it. As ling as you get the correct fuel meter valve then you are golden.

whitbread already started to provide the correct fuel meter valve for a while now.

T1MMBOJONES

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH 01M wagon
Cp3 dont need a tune. Its a “plug and play” kit but tune will make it nicer and benefits you a tad smoother operation overall but its your hard earned penny to pay for if you desire for it. As ling as you get the correct fuel meter valve then you are golden.

whitbread already started to provide the correct fuel meter valve for a while now.
yeah my understanding is most issues were related to the aux pump still being intact. my intercooler has frozen but since adding a winter front that issue hasnt surfaced, but in general a tune would be nice to make certain things inoperable for ultimate longevity im just not positive i want to go that far yet. sometimes i wonder why i even bought another diesel as the world seems to be pushing for EVs. answer: i drive a lot and EVs just arent where i think they should be range and conveniece wise yet. but i do fear having so much money dumped into a potentially obselete car so for now im content...

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh yeah, always remove the aux pump when you do the Cp3 swap. My friend locally who helped with the cp3 swap forgot to remove the aux pump back in 2015 and my old JSW stalled shortly after the first test drive LOL 2micron (no longer in business but still in contact from time to time) helped to solve that issue right away.

Do your state do emission testing? If no, go delete, you will delete all the fragile parts (EGR and EGR cooler and your engine will thank you and longevity would be a lot further).

EVs is not feasible and wont be for a very long time. That's my opinion. Heck, I drive 30-45k miles per year hence why I have TDI for.

T1MMBOJONES

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH 01M wagon
Oh yeah, always remove the aux pump when you do the Cp3 swap. My friend locally who helped with the cp3 swap forgot to remove the aux pump back in 2015 and my old JSW stalled shortly after the first test drive LOL 2micron (no longer in business but still in contact from time to time) helped to solve that issue right away.

Do your state do emission testing? If no, go delete, you will delete all the fragile parts (EGR and EGR cooler and your engine will thank you and longevity would be a lot further).

EVs is not feasible and wont be for a very long time. That's my opinion. Heck, I drive 30-45k miles per year hence why I have TDI for.
honestly i think the whole push toward evs will disipate but i still am not opposed to the concept if the technology or lobyists or whatever force allows it to become practical. i average around 30k a year myself, this is my fourth and probably not my last diesel, i still own #2 of 4 also.... wisconsin has 3 or 4 counties that emission test diesels i live in one and grew up in another, that said i actually am exempt for another reason. i really do intend to delete eventually just want to ride out my watranty at the very least first. i debated the cp3 for the same reason but age wise im due for a timing belt/water pump so it seemed logical. i also really cant justify spending any more money on it currently as i bought it to replace my aging money pit alh and semi retire my similar situation 7.3l and claimed i would only service it..... dsg tune is top on my list of "performance mods" ultimately its a daily driver/commuter so mpg gains are more appealing to me than going "fast" its still much quicker than anything ive owned. im sure i will eventally contradict this...

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
02,03,05, Jetta 99.5 Golf
I would think putting a cp3 on will void your warranty anyhow? They’ll find any thing they can to void it

T1MMBOJONES

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH 01M wagon
I would think putting a cp3 on will void your warranty anyhow? They’ll find any thing they can to void it
you are probably correct. im considering just ditching the warranty and getting a prorated check. as now that the main problem part will be addressed, but at the same time its quite possible if lets say my moonroof leaks and fries my electronics they might not look at the Hpfp.... i know im just waiting for problems at that point...

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
you are probably correct. im considering just ditching the warranty and getting a prorated check. as now that the main problem part will be addressed, but at the same time its quite possible if lets say my moonroof leaks and fries my electronics they might not look at the Hpfp.... i know im just waiting for problems at that point...
just clean the drains every year, you are golden. I have 2015 Passat TDI and daughter's 13 Jetta Sedan TDI with sunroofs. mines sunroof deleted (solid roof from factory)

once you are deleted, you have no FRAGILE parts remaining to warranty for. it will be pretty much bulletproof once you get CP3, timing belt protector plate, and tune and DSG tune. those TDI's will be a lot of fun as DD car.

T1MMBOJONES

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH 01M wagon
just clean the drains every year, you are golden. I have 2015 Passat TDI and daughter's 13 Jetta Sedan TDI with sunroofs. mines sunroof deleted (solid roof from factory)

once you are deleted, you have no FRAGILE parts remaining to warranty for. it will be pretty much bulletproof once you get CP3, timing belt protector plate, and tune and DSG tune. those TDI's will be a lot of fun as DD car.
thats where im leaning, the moonroof was merely an example of "what if?" it leaked once, i cleaned it, problem solved. but yes im essentially trying to bulletproof it as mentioned, i also need to recoup some funds for a bit so im just making excuses not to delete for a while longer maybe...

coolusername

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
thats where im leaning, the moonroof was merely an example of "what if?" it leaked once, i cleaned it, problem solved. but yes im essentially trying to bulletproof it as mentioned, i also need to recoup some funds for a bit so im just making excuses not to delete for a while longer maybe...
If you want to bulletproof, I would suggest dropping the headliner and having the connections where the tubes hook up to the sunroof tray reinforced. The front ones especially are somewhat susceptible to coming loose, and then any water will just pour straight into your headliner and soak the area by the sunvisor vanity light. Ask me how I know.

T1MMBOJONES

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH 01M wagon
If you want to bulletproof, I would suggest dropping the headliner and having the connections where the tubes hook up to the sunroof tray reinforced. The front ones especially are somewhat susceptible to coming loose, and then any water will just pour straight into your headliner and soak the area by the sunvisor vanity light. Ask me how I know.
about a week after i bought the car i had a literal water fall running down my fuse panel and onto my feet. i was not thrilled to say the least. thus far ive snaked, and even blown air, despite being advised not to, through the front lines, i swear i managed to get the rear also but i think im mistaking it for my old mk4 wagon. also i make sure to keep the cowel free of debris, its been very wet out lately and so far so good. no signs of moisture in my headliner so as of now my issue seemed like it was clogged fender drain vs failing couplers. i seem to have derailed this log a tad though so before i get called out maybe we should focus on my future cp3 swap lol

ShelbyRazorback

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6MT (traded in). None at the moment.
Why use the timing belt protector plate? What is it preventing?

coolusername

Veteran Member
TDI
From what I vaguely understand, if the serpentine belt goes out it can get sucked into the timing belt and jack that up at the same time. A protective cover prevents this, so if/when the serpentine belt fails, the timing won't go too. I personally have no knowledge of the failure rate of the serpentine belt, so I have no idea if it'd be worth it. But if you were to go down that route, it would be best to install concurrently with a TB job or a CP3 install, since those items are in the same area.

sauron18

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI DSG

Yeah. Malone did a tune for the cp3 because before i tuned for the cp4 with the upgraded metering valve when i upgraded to the Xman cr170. If it hadn't i would had probably would not have tune for the cp3. At leas my car dosen't go into limp mode at wot and don't throw the p0087. Is feel a lot smoother and everything in everyway possible. The cp3 with the correct metering valve dosen't need a tune still Whitbread recommend tuning for it and neither the upgraded metering valve for the cp4.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI

actually... the stock CJAA one are skinny metal... it is a worthless protection. (yes I have it on my hand that was removed off my engine that's how I know. the CNC cover is thicker therefore the belt wouldn't go into the timing belt and kiss the engine good bye.

ShelbyRazorback

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6MT (traded in). None at the moment.
actually... the stock CJAA one are skinny metal... it is a worthless protection. (yes I have it on my hand that was removed off my engine that's how I know. the CNC cover is thicker therefore the belt wouldn't go into the timing belt and kiss the engine good bye.

Ahh, ok. I had my Timing Belt done about 10k miles ago so I don't think I'll be doing that anytime soon....

T1MMBOJONES

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH 01M wagon
my parts from idparts came last week. my kit from whitbread arrives monday but i think the cp3 comes seperately. anyways somehow i spaced the fact that the egr valve gets removed also. will i be needing to replace the gaskets? if so i see a paper and tin version are they interchangeable or do i need both? id parts has a "kit" which only includes the paper one, im thinking the kit is what i need. i would like to get this ordered asap. i ordered basically all the hardware needed for a timing belt/water pump job including the tensioner pulley stud. any other parts yall think i may have over looked? i might post my invoice as a punch list per say.... thanks!

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
my parts from idparts came last week. my kit from whitbread arrives monday but i think the cp3 comes seperately. anyways somehow i spaced the fact that the egr valve gets removed also. will i be needing to replace the gaskets? if so i see a paper and tin version are they interchangeable or do i need both? id parts has a "kit" which only includes the paper one, im thinking the kit is what i need. i would like to get this ordered asap. i ordered basically all the hardware needed for a timing belt/water pump job including the tensioner pulley stud. any other parts yall think i may have over looked? i might post my invoice as a punch list per say.... thanks!
just get EGR delete to make it easier. I have it installed, below is the link:

T1MMBOJONES

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH 01M wagon
anyone ever consider putting a 90degree fitting of sorts either onto or inplace of the one on the cp3 that interfers with the egr? it seems this would prevent having to make such an agressive bend. i believe this is the fitting that needs the ehancer anyways so this could potentially kill two birds. i know i know "delete the egr"

coolusername

Veteran Member
TDI
anyone ever consider putting a 90degree fitting of sorts either onto or inplace of the one on the cp3 that interfers with the egr? it seems this would prevent having to make such an agressive bend. i believe this is the fitting that needs the ehancer anyways so this could potentially kill two birds. i know i know "delete the egr"
I'm no fluid dynamics professor, but I feel that a sudden 90° turn would be bad for the flow and have unforseen consequences.

T1MMBOJONES

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH 01M wagon
I'm no fluid dynamics professor, but I feel that a sudden 90° turn would be bad for the flow and have unforseen consequences.
the lines make several 90degree turns already. and everyone ive seen that kept the egr intact basically bent the line 90 degrees immediatly out of the pump. ksing44's post way back on page 8 is a good example.

Last edited:

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
the lines make several 90degree turns already. and everyone ive seen that kept the egr intact basically bent the line 90 degrees immediatly out of the pump. ksing44's post way back on page 8 is a good example.
I called that my Frankenstein fuel line after the initial CP3 install. But 2micron volunteered to help me. It turned out he had a custom jig for bending fuel lines and he personally sent one to me. He also informed me and GDM that the CP3 pump has an alternative connection for the fuel line oriented at the lower back side of the pump. GDM changed mine to the alternative connection in the back because it eliminates the clearance issues with the oil check. It also just looks better.

Below is an image from SoundGuy215 with the alternative connection.

...Mine was a brand new pump from German Diesel Moterwerks, but get this... Mine has the high pressure fuel line coming out in a completely different place...

T1MMBOJONES

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH 01M wagon
I called that my Frankenstein fuel line after the initial CP3 install. But 2micron volunteered to help me. It turned out he had a custom jig for bending fuel lines and he personally sent one to me. He also informed me and GDM that the CP3 pump has an alternative connection for the fuel line oriented at the lower back side of the pump. GDM changed mine to the alternative connection in the back because it eliminates the clearance issues with the oil check. It also just looks better.

Below is an image from SoundGuy215 with the alternative connection.
thank you soooo much!
i assume there is a plug you just swap out with the fitting? still waiting for my pump to arrive, i do happen to have a cp3 from my old duramax i can look at in the mean time.

Last edited:

T1MMBOJONES

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH 01M wagon
I'm not a mechanic, but from what I could see the two mounting points are exactly the same just in different locations on the pump.
yeah on the cp3 in my garage it appears to be configurable for multiple aplications, given that they were on just that it makes sense. thanks again! now even if i choose to do a delete further down the road i wont have do look at ugly lines. as of right now it all functions and its nice having a clean/quiet diesel. im starting to get old i guess.... everything else ive owned or curently own has been a loud old diesel....

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I am contemplating the CP3 pump upgrade was I approach the timing belt interval (90K mi - 100K mi). Noticed that the auxiliary electric fuel pump is also deleted as part of the CP3 installation.

Questions:
1. when doing a fuel filter replacement, how are folks priming / filling the filter housing w/o the electric pump? The typical procedure for me has been to use the VCDS to activate the electric pump to refill the filter housing.

2. are folks doing the CP3 upgrade themselves, or do you have an indy shop do the upgrade with you supplying the parts? I do most of my own work, but thinking I will have a shop do the timing belt replacement and was going to ask them if they have any experience with this upgrade.

I am sure I will have more questions as I do more reading.

Thanks