hard shifting

TDIPOWERMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I have a hard time getting into 2nd gear when shifting down from 3rd or 4rth. It just totally refuses to go untill I shove it in first then back down into second. It works great coming out of first.

I locked the trani and the shift knob and got the adjustment right on but It didn't help. Is there some bushing I should check?

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
Do you double-clutch at all when downshifting? 2nd can balk pretty easily due to the high ratio. Spooling up the gearbox before downshifting makes it easier to shift and preserves the synchronizers.

Forcing the selector, especially to first gear, is very hard on the synchronizers.

TDIPOWERMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Well, I better not make a habit of forcing into first then........

I've been playing around a little with clutching and can't seem to get it to work good.

Is there a part on the trani that I could replace? I don't know much about the internals..........

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Check your tranny oil level............ I bet it is very low, if not basically empty!

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
^^ x2. Also, how many miles on the car?
There is no VW specified trans oil change interval, but many do it at 100K.
I have direct experience that taught me the specific oil used makes a difference with shifting. I strongly recommend, if you have to add or change trans oil, use this stuff:

OEM G70 manual transmission fluid ~ $14/bottle, need 2 bottles for A4
http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1438

Someone else on here also indicated good results with Lucas. Do not use the auto parts store off shelf stuff.

TDIPOWERMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Ok........ I have another question. I saw some oil drops on the bottom of the trani, so I believe it is leaking. Is there some seals I should replace?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
My tranny never showed any signs of leaking........ but was all but empty.

There are three seals........each axle and the input shaft (inside the bell housing where the clutch/flywheel is located. Of course, the tranny "splits" open as a part of design (no seals or gaskets there).

I'd just make sure it stays full of lube!...........until the leak gets really bad, which I doubt will ever happen.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
also, don't "nessi-celery" assume it's the trans. I had a weeping EGR valve, which was sending oil slowly across the back of the valve cover, and down the trans side of the engine, resulting in drips at the bottom of the trans that looked like a leaking rear main seal.

TDIPOWERMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
OK I changed the trani oil..... it wasn't very low at all.

The problem is getting worse.... its shifting hard into 2nd and 3rd and the other gears are getting a little sticky.

Is my manual trani going bad on me?