Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Yeah, I saw a Valero with $4.949 a couple days ago. The ARCO across the freeway was $4.649. That Valero is always 30 cents higher -- they DO NOT want to sell diesel, not sure why they bother offering it.

KA1CQR

TDI
99 New Beetle TDI
Ouch

Filled up today at Shell for $4.739, up from $4.659 yesterday, RUG there $3.999, though across from my house at Mobil it it $4.059.

KALaBenne

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 B5.5V GLS
Paid $4.339 just north of Indy on I-65

Glad I'll be able to make it back there to fill up on sun. so I don't have to fill up in SE Wisconsin $4.559:eek:

Diesel on,

TDI2Fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000/2001/2002/2004/2009 Jetta GLS Auto/Auto/5M/5M/DSG 2010 A3/DSG
$4.249 for ULSD - Southern States by Shannon Airport
$4.329 for B5 - Shell by the intersection of Route 3 & I-95 in Fredericksburg

usadler

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
4.99 B99 diesel in santa cruz, CA
4.89 of Dino Diesel in San Jose, CA
4.53 of Dino Diesel in Reno, NV

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
The high-priced stations around here seem strangely reluctant to cross the $5 barrier. A couple stations at $4.65, a few at $4.69, most at $4.75 and $4.79 and $4.85. But the expensive stations in La Jolla have held at $4.99 for self-serve. (Probably $6 for full-serve)

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Filled up tonight at $4.49/gal at the local Quick Chek.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Heating oil futures up another 10 cents/gallon today -- up 75 cents in the last 13 trading days.

So if there was any chance that D2 would not break the $5/gallon mark around here, that chance is gone.

I actually did see $5.15 today, but that was some kind of cardlock station, not a public fuel station. I topped up Monday with $20 of D2 at $4.69, added $40 of B99 at $4.749. Bought a few additional gallons of B99 for future use as a lubricity additive.

I visited www.losangelesegasprices.com and found that stations in Whittier and Pasadena are charging $5.159.

Croberts

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Silver
TR, do you see the U.S. oil companies decreasing their current levels of distillate export at any point in order to have some kind of inventory for next winter? Or are the homeowners of the northern states going to face the most expensive winter in history (by far). At some point the safety and security of our own U.S. citizens should outweigh the pure profits of selling overseas. Oh but wait, then they can buy back more shares of their own stock.:confused:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Croberts said:
TR, do you see the U.S. oil companies decreasing their current levels of distillate export at any point in order to have some kind of inventory for next winter? Or are the homeowners of the northern states going to face the most expensive winter in history (by far). At some point the safety and security of our own U.S. citizens should outweigh the pure profits of selling overseas. Oh but wait, then they can buy back more shares of their own stock.:confused:
It all depends on how much foreigners are willing to pay. So far they don't seem to be backing off. It could be the Chinese are stocking up, so they don't get any bad publicity during the Olympics -- like factory closings because the electric plants are out of fuel. And everyone faces the same problem with refining -- crude oil is super-expensive, there's no market for gasoline, so they don't bother buying crude they just buy diesel or heating oil.

I've said it before: one big factor is that gasoline is simply too cheap relative to crude oil. If wholesale gasoline was 50 or 75 cents higher, then every refinery in the world would be running flat-out and there'd be no shortages of diesel or heating oil.

As for oil company profits, here's something interesting:
"Corporate insiders own 1 per cent of the shares; and big institutional investors own 5 per cent. Mutual funds own 30 per cent; pension funds own 27 per cent; individuals own 37 per cent – with most of the shares held in retirement accounts."

So for all the criticisms about big profits and stock buybacks, the winners are those of us with IRA's and 401-K's.

The losers will be the folks in the Snow Belt next winter, I'm afraid. You should invest in down parkas and plenty of blankets.

SilverD

TDI
Silver 2002 Golf
Saw $5.19/gal today in Santa Monica at the Chevron at the corner of Bundy and Olympic. That's always been a very expensive station, but seeing anything over $5.00 is still a shock. I last paid $4.79 at the Union 76 at the 405 and Sherman Way, which is about the cheapest anywhere. Most stations I pass seem to be between $4.83 and $4.89.

It really sucks having to pay $60 just to fill a Golf, especially in the summer when I always get the worst mileage.

KA1CQR

TDI
99 New Beetle TDI
Life in southeastern CT

Filled up with D2 yesterday at $4.79, was surprised to see it did not go up today :p . Governor Rell is increasing the diesel fuel tax by .25 cents July 1, that will make it over $5.00 bucks, given no more increases til then. Oddly enough, at the request of business owners, she is considering not raising the state's minimum wage as scheduled. Hmmm.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Heating oil futures up 10 cents/gallon yesterday, up another 12-13 cents today.

The next couple days are going to be wild, I think -- the shorts are getting squeezed, the hedgers are having problems with their banks, the charts are showing classic signs of a top.

KA1CQR

TDI
99 New Beetle TDI
I just posted this yesterday...

KA1CQR said:
Filled up with D2 yesterday at $4.79, was surprised to see it did not go up today :p . Governor Rell is increasing the diesel fuel tax by .25 cents July 1, that will make it over $5.00 bucks, given no more increases til then. Oddly enough, at the request of business owners, she is considering not raising the state's minimum wage as scheduled. Hmmm.
Today I drive past the station, it says $4.85. I come back after picking up a sandwich, it said $4.95, yup, that quick! RUG is $4.09.