Northern Virginia Now Emision Tests Diesel Cars

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I was hopping it would never come to this, but from the Virginia DMV web site:
Emissions Inspections

If your vehicle is garaged in the counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, or Stafford, or the cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Manassas or Manassas Park, your vehicle must meet the emissions inspection requirements.
Which vehicles require an emissions inspection?

The following vehicles require a Virginia Emissions Inspection PASS or WAIVER before DMV can complete the registration process. The requirements are categorized by fuel type [I omitted the stuff about gasoline cars]:
  • Diesel-powered passenger or property carrying vehicles with a model year of 1997 or newer and with a manufacturer’s designated gross vehicle weight of 8,500 pounds or less.
Diesel-powered vehicles:
1997 and newer diesel vehicles with a manufacturer’s designated gross vehicle weight of 8,500 pounds or less will receive the on-board diagnostic computer system test. Diesel vehicles will not receive the tailpipe test, fuel cap pressure test, visual component inspection, or the visible smoke inspection.

You can not renew the vehicle's registration unless the emissions test is passed. The emissions test is required every two years.

--Nate

Maven

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI, Black/Black, PKG2
As long as they still let the hummers roam free without emissions testing then we are all still safe...oh wait!

You could always rent a garage in southern VA :rolleyes:

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
PDJetta said:
Diesel vehicles will not receive the tailpipe test, fuel cap pressure test, visual component inspection, or the visible smoke inspection.
I'd say be glad they're only checking for OBD codes. Having your own VAG-COM setup is a worthwhile investment!

I live in NH and NH already does OBD code scanning instead of pipe sniffing, etc.

In NH, it came down to either do tailpipe testing in the southern counties (the most populated) or do OBD code scanning statewide. NH chose to do OBD code scanning statewide. With the power mods to my 02 Golf and 05 PD JWagen, I'm glad NH opted for OBD code scanning. I'm also glad they're not doing any kind of load test on a dyno!

The thing to do is take care of any issues you may have that would trigger a CEL code, clear code(s) with VAG-COM, and then drive about 50 miles to set the readiness code in the ECU. The 50 mile drive should also include some highway driving. Then go for your inspection.

Last edited:

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
Correct me if I'm wrong (it's been a while since i've vagged my TDI)... but I don't think Diesels have the same "readiness" codes that gassers do.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
"The thing to do is take care of any issues you may have that would trigger a CEL code, ..."

Dave, that's the problem. I am in Northern Virginia and was dreading the day this testing of diesels was finalized. VA has been saying "any day now" for about 5 years. I'll have to remove my stainless steel EGR block-off plate every two years before the test, then reset the codes and drive a bit like you say.:mad: Then re-install it. I just hope my Check Engine Light LED does not burn out (a non-functional CEL is an automatic test failure). Its on continuously because of the block-off plate. I consulted my Bentley manual for replacing ithe CEL LED, and what it says is for a non functioning CEL, after the wiring has been checked and the ECU replaced, and if it still does not function, to "Replace instrument cluster":eek:. I bet you could just replace the LED if you could get the cluster out. I think these LEDs are good for 20,000 hours, though. That's like 750,000 miles of driving.

And yes, the diesels have the same OBD II protocol that the gassers do (same rediness code structure), just the components supported may be different.

--Nate

meetis

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW Jetta silver
01tdimkIV
Basically yes. You can very easily verify if you will be fine for the check by contacting someone with a vag-com and have them run a readyness check on the car. Essentially tho if the car has been getting driven for a while and has not had a CEL in a while then the car should pass without a problem. There are a lot of factors tho that come into play when it comes to the ECU setting the readyness to be ok. It is possible to drive the car for a long time before readyness is set it all depends on the driving habbits. My volvo for example took about 1 month of daily use for readyness to be set. Every car is different tho.

meetis

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW Jetta silver
PD
Why do you have the EGR blocked off with a plate? Does it really offer that much of a benefit compaired to simply codeing it to be severly reduced.

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2002, Reflex Silver
Man...this is news to me...glad I have a year to get ready! ...hah... With all EGR hardware off an unplugged...need to put resistors in so no codes thrown... I hope that does the trick or my car will 'live' in Floyd, VA with my sister ;) ...yikes.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm just hoping the Virginia DMV somehow screws up and misses the fact my car is to be flagged for testing now. My mother, who has a 2000 Jetta TDI, and who lives in Fairfax City (testing now required) recently got her registration renewal letter and it stated "emissions testing not required":confused: Maybe she slipped in right under the wire. All I know is that about 4 months ago when I checked the DMV web site, it said "Diesel cars are exempt", so the change occurred within the last 4 months.

I'm hoping that's my case too! But six months ago I renewed my registration for TWO years, just because I new the emissions testing was right around the corner. I always renewed for one year before, since there was no discount offered. I got an added benifit too, registration fees just went up by $10.

Heck, on my '85 Jetta that I had for 17 years, I had a stack of "year"
stickers on its liscense plate that was over a quarter of an inch high!

--Nate

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
meetis said:
PD
Why do you have the EGR blocked off with a plate? Does it really offer that much of a benefit compaired to simply codeing it to be severly reduced.
There is no way to lower EGR flow via VAG-COM on the PD, like you can on the ALH engine. I am not sure if the chip tuners can (or will) eliminate the EGR on road cars. I have an RC 1 chip and still get a CEL with the EGR blocked off. And, when I read the code, it says "1 code stored. Insufficient EGR Flow". I reset the CEL and about 10 minutes later it comes on again.

My next step is to explore EGR delete via chip tuning. I have heard both "Yes they can" and "No they can't", but I plan to look into it seriously. I also want to keep my throttle plate intact (I removed it as well to prevent an effeciency loss (intake vacuume) since the EGR is blocked off)

No EGR keeps the intake nice and clean and I suspect lengthens engine life due to less abraisive soot in the engine oil to wear the cylinders.

--Nate

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
PDJetta said:
You can not renew the vehicle's registration unless the emissions test is passed. The emissions test is required every two years.

--Nate
I got my renewal in the mail just this afternoon, and I noticed that it said an emissions inspection was required. I just assumed that it was some sort of stupid clerical error :mad:.

01TDIMKIV

TDI
2001 Jetta
meetis said:
01tdimkIV
Basically yes. You can very easily verify if you will be fine for the check by contacting someone with a vag-com and have them run a readyness check on the car. Essentially tho if the car has been getting driven for a while and has not had a CEL in a while then the car should pass without a problem. There are a lot of factors tho that come into play when it comes to the ECU setting the readyness to be ok. It is possible to drive the car for a long time before readyness is set it all depends on the driving habbits. My volvo for example took about 1 month of daily use for readyness to be set. Every car is different tho.
Thanksfor the 411. I live in Northern VA, but amregistered in the state ofFL, no testing. But I may permenantely move to NoVA, and I wanted to make sure I would be ok. It sounds likeI should be fine. Thanks for the info!

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
In Delaware, they do the OBD check on newer diesels. They failed me for a glow plug CEL.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ericy said:
I got my renewal in the mail just this afternoon, and I noticed that it said an emissions inspection was required. I just assumed that it was some sort of stupid clerical error :mad:.
As someone above mentioned, the change in Virginia's emissions law requiring testing of '97 and newer diesel cars in Northern Virginia, most likely became effective July 1st. A whole slew of new legislation in Virginia becomes effective on that date (like $1000 fines for agressive driving, but ONLY applies to Virginia drivers, to fund road improvements).

I would imigine that if your vehicle registration expires on or after July 1st, you are now required to have an OBD II emissions inspection. If it expires in June (this month), no emissions test required (but will be the next time your registration is due for renewal).

--Nate

Last edited:

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
It's not an actual 'emissions' test as they're not testing the exhaust for content, opacity, or anything else. They're only checking the OBD computer for error conditions. No codes? No problem!

On a lighter note, my TDI is a '96 - no tests for me! Yippie! :D

JetJoK

Bummer, Good thing it is the OBD check only. I did keep the original CCV hoses just in case they ever do a visual inspection.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you are in Stafford, I do not think you are required to have the "emissions" test. Also, I read the procedure for the diesel OBD II check. It specifically EXCLUDES a visual inspection of emissions components:confused: . Its required in Northern Virginia only!

--Nate

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Man yall really got scr3wed this year in VA . Emission rules now apply to diesels & the most expensive speeding tickit in the country now applies .

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, geneva][SIZE=-2]Thursday, June 21, 2007[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, geneva][SIZE=+1]Virginia Introduces $3550 Speeding Ticket[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, geneva]Virginia motorists convicted of minor traffic violations will face a new, multi-year tax beginning July 1. Led by state Delegate David B. Albo (R-Springfield), lawmakers slipped a driver responsibility tax into a larger transportation funding bill signed by Governor Tim Kaine (D) in April. Albo, a senior partner in the Albo & Oblon, LLP traffic law firm, can expect to see a significant increase in business as motorists seek to protect their wallet from traffic tickets that come with assessments of up to $3000 in addition to an annual point tax that tops out at $700 a year for as long as the points remain. "The purpose of the civil remedial fees imposed in this section is to generate revenue," the new law states. (Virginia Code 46.2-206.1) Driving as little as 15 MPH over the limit on an interstate highway now brings six license demerit points, a fine of up to $2500, up to one year in jail, and a new mandatory $1050 tax. The law also imposes an additional annual fee of up to $100 if a prior conviction leaves the motorist with a balance of eight demerit points, plus $75 for each additional point (up to $700 a year). The conviction in this example remains on the record for five years. Other six-point convictions include "failing to give a proper signal," "passing a school bus" or "driving with an obstructed view." The same $1050 assessment applies, but the conviction remains on the record for eleven years. Although the amount of the tax can add up quickly, the law forbids judges from reducing or suspending it in any way. The tax applies only to Virginia residents, so that out-of-state motorists only need to pay the regular ticket amount. Michigan, New Jersey, New York and Texas also impose a somewhat more modest driver responsibility tax which they apply to out-of-state residents. The Virginia Supreme Court provides a full explanation of the new penalties for each traffic infraction in the 34k PDF file at the source link below.[/FONT]

Just one more reason to avoid VA .

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
JetJoK said:
Bummer, Good thing it is the OBD check only. I did keep the original CCV hoses just in case they ever do a visual inspection.
The OBD check doesn't sound like anything that would be difficult to pass. More the nuisance factor of having one more thing that needs to be done to get the tags renewed...

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
rotarykid said:
Just one more reason to avoid VA .
For you, not really. The law only applies to residents of Virginia :mad:

Unfortunately, albo is my rep. I'm thinking of making up some bumper stickers that say "I'm going slow because of Albo" and then go out in the fast lane at the speed limit...:rolleyes:

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
This is ridiculous. Albo, who himself is a traffic lawyer passes a law that will guarantee him more work. How is this ethical? He sounds like a psychopath. (click this link for more info: Political Ponerology)

Oh wait, most politics is not ethical and they hook eachother up... look at the no bid Halliburton contracts lol. Both sides do this. Ron Paul for president... he truly follows the constitution!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They are instituting OBD checks for passenger car diesels for '97 and newer here as well. Luckily, they will be DEcentralizing it, so I will be able to inspect my own cars.

We have had OBD checks for '96 and newer gassers for a couple years now. System works OK except most people do not like the lines and having to go 2 places, one for OBD check and another (me) for safety.

Really all boils down to this: if people just maintain their cars, and fix it if it breaks, you really have nothing to worry about.

Nice thing abaout the diesels is, we have no worries about some of the biggest OBD failures: evaporative emissions, lean codes, and catalyst monitors. At least not for most of the diesels currently on the road.

So, no cat, straight pipe, RC, whatever, you are still fine in the OBD dept. :D

Justler

Veteran Member
Thank god I live in the great state of Maryland. I'll just bring my diesel polution to virginia for work and not worry about emissions!

Most of the diesels that drive through NoVA are not from VA.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
oilhammer said:
They are instituting OBD checks for passenger car diesels for '97 and newer here as well. Luckily, they will be DEcentralizing it, so I will be able to inspect my own cars.

We have had OBD checks for '96 and newer gassers for a couple years now. System works OK except most people do not like the lines and having to go 2 places, one for OBD check and another (me) for safety.

Really all boils down to this: if people just maintain their cars, and fix it if it breaks, you really have nothing to worry about.

Nice thing abaout the diesels is, we have no worries about some of the biggest OBD failures: evaporative emissions, lean codes, and catalyst monitors. At least not for most of the diesels currently on the road.

So, no cat, straight pipe, RC, whatever, you are still fine in the OBD dept. :D
Yea, but I have to get by EGR system working again before my first OBD II test (I'm in Northern Virginia). It mysteriously got plugged somehow:confused: . And yes, it throws a CEL.

--Nate