Two stroke with diesel....???

Milord

TDI
2001 1,9 Jetta 4
I met a guy this weekend that swears by throwing 500 ml two-stroke with every 2nd tank diesel when he is filling up(50 ppm low sulphur). He reckons he has been doing that for many years and experienced zero problems. What do think is the worst that can happen...??

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Fuels and lubricants forum section....
Been tons of disscussion on it. Good reading if you're concerned with needing extra lubricity in your fuel.

Dazzyweb

TDI
1993 Audi 80 1.9tdi @115bhp, 1999 Audi A4 Avant 1.9tdi, 2001 Audi A3 1.9tdi 5 door
Adding 2 Stroke to diesel..?

Hi! Seasons Greetings to all who celebrate...and peace to those who don't!

The usual senario for adding some 2 stroke into a tdi's fuel tank would be if one was running on a non-pump fuel, such as kerosene, agricultural diesel (often red/pink) or other very fine oil...peanut oil, etc.
Mostly all 'bio' diesels will be more than 'lubed' enough, as standard.. however, adding any 'extra' lubricant will in itself not cause any harm, so long as the lubricant doesn't contain solvents (a contradiction, I know)
Old motor oil, new motor oil, clean sunflower oil, clean vegi oil, etc will achieve the same (lubricating) results...as it is a 'lube' for only as long as it takes to pass through the fuel pump..Not long at all!
'Old school' mechanics would know the 2 stroke lube is only an ash reducer and therefore would help keep injectors clean..But that's it.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Been tons of disscussion on it. Good reading if you're concerned with needing extra lubricity in your fuel.
+1. I wanted to go into a long winded response, but there is just too much info that I would be repeating that's out there.

That being said, I run 2 stroke ashless TC3-W from Walmart in my Cummins and in my Golf. Ratio is 128:1 (1 oz per gal) or about 200:1.

In the golf, I also run some diesel kleen every fill up too. In the Cummins I'll run a bottle every blue moon. It won't hurt injectors.

There was a guy (moparman) I believe on another forum who pulled his injectors after running a couple hundred thousand miles on 2 stroke and his injectors looked fine.
There's guys around this form who have run it and then opened up their engines to find that everything was still in great shape. Quantitative proof, maybe not, but no ill effects from what had been seen. In the end it's up to. Dies it give you a warn fuzzy? It does for me...

He did the same test with atf (an old school lubricant, I think it started in the trucker world?) And it trashed the injectors.

That being said, I would never run used motor oil or anything of that sort through a high pressure fuel system. Nice thing about two stroke is it's made to blend with the fuel, so no ill effects...by the way the whole "need" for lubrication came about with the introduction of ULSD. That's another few hours of reading, but I suggest it.

So much for staying away from long winded

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
There's guys around this form who have run it and then opened up their engines to find that everything was still in great shape. Quantitative proof, maybe not, but no ill effects from what had been seen.
It's proof enough for me. I'm one of the ones that has over 200,000 miles running it (in just one car) and could still read the writing on the pistons at 393,000 miles. I run it in all our TDI's and have never had a negative result.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
It's proof enough for me. I'm one of the ones that has over 200,000 miles running it (in just one car) and could still read the writing on the pistons at 393,000 miles. I run it in all our TDI's and have never had a negative result.
You are definitely the one I was mentioning when I made that post! Nice that's plenty good enough for me too. Seems to quiet the Cummins down a bit too!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

8v-of-fury

Can never have too much lube..

I have a pre-mixer bottle, that I mix equal parts of; 2 stroke, ATF and Power Service (grey or white depending on season). Give ti a good shot every fill.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Can never have too much lube..

I have a pre-mixer bottle, that I mix equal parts of; 2 stroke, ATF and Power Service (grey or white depending on season). Give ti a good shot every fill.
You're brave man using atf...

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Regular pump fuel in MN has enough lube for me w/o "additives".
Some states add 5-10% bio at the pump...#1 lubricant for all the moving parts that are fuel related. If you're the lucky state that has this shouldn't need any more. If its straight ULSD with no bio, I would highly recommend reading about the fuel and why lubricants are being used!

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
If its straight ULSD with no bio, I would highly recommend reading about the fuel and why lubricants are being used!
Oh, I think jettawreck has a pretty good grasp of it. ;)

When it comes down to it, it's personal preference. I do it because I want to and it has served me well, but others can do as they like.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf

When it comes down to it, it's personal preference. I do it because I want to and it has served me well, but others can do as they like.
This is very true. Cars are expensive, and not cheap to maintain. I like my longevity:)

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta

Thanks.
Years ago, before MN went bio mandate, I used lubricity additives. Now, just when its really cold, (-28F overnight lately) I run some white bottle Power Service, but mostly as an extra precaution because of some of the remote areas I travel sometimes and to keep any possible moisture out of the system.
Those that use the two cycle oil seem to love it and I've yet to hear of any negative issue from it in the pre-HPFP/regeneration equipped TDIs.