Low beams out after work done.

dale_p

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
So I've replaced my alternator, alt. belt and tensioner on my 2002 Golf TDI this past weekend. As well have just replaced my lower intercooler-intake pipe with some pvc until I get a new one, but now my low beams don't come on. My high beams work, and the only other part that I know of that doesn't work is my stereo, but I think I just have to reprogram that (I have the code) although nothing shows up on the LCD when I press the power button, and the little blinking red light doesn't blink anymore.

Now my question is does anyone have a clue to where to start to figure out if I disconnected/cut/shorted something to stop both low beams at the same time(I've already checked the fuses and they're ok)?

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
I'd check the bulbs. There is such a thing as coincidence.

If you have a similar bulb on another car/friends car, swap one out and see if it's good or bad.

If bad, replace.

If good, start looking at the few areas in which there are connections. Fuses are one (perhaps a better one to start on - can't give you the locations of those specific fuses, but check them all with an ohm meter.

dale_p

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
I think I have a spare bulb kicking around and I'll give it a try tonight. Thanks, I post on the results.

dale_p

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
So I guess it was a coincidence. The spare bulb worked in both sides, and now the horn magically works again. Now I just have to re-work the wiper linkages (it's been raining here for the past few days) and finally replace the intercooler pipe and I'll be on the road again.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
I'm glad this was easy. As far as the horn, likely bad wiring or ground wire.