oil pan remove, do i have to lift the engine off the car?

joy123

TDI
97 passat 1.9
hi, its 98 passat tdi, AHU engine, i need to reseal the oil pan gasket, do i need to lift the engine up to remove the oil pan?? seems like all the machanic think i do have to and its a big job to remove it:(, please help if u know how to do it. thanks

cage

Top Post Dawg
I just asked on WikiAnswers. As soon as I hear I will let you know.
Oh, who changes your oil? Ask them. They would know if anything crosses beneath the pan requiring the engine to be lifted.

joy123

TDI
97 passat 1.9
i do it myself and i have the car for 3 months now, there is a things under the oil pan, its only 2" gap between them , so my machanic told me its not possible to slide it off :( , thanks

cage

Top Post Dawg
Yeah if you only have a 2" gap then you are screwed! Sorry. You could clean it up and try a silicone line around the outside to see if that works. I mean there isn't any pressure behind the oil there. What's leaking is the oil running back to the pan from the engine as well as the sloshing of the oil itself while driving. If you don't have or want to spend the money try that.

ScorpionBoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
can you just re-torque the fasteners on the oilpan? maybe you will get lucky.

joy123

TDI
97 passat 1.9
thanks guys for the input, i will try to re-tourqe it then if its not works i will clean it up and then reseal it :) they r actually very good idea. thanks guys.