Losing power up hills again. Several questions

dbeag

TDI
99 VW bug 1.9
1999 Bug 150k

A month ago I had the fuel temp sensor go bad causing loss of power on any terain. Cell showed bad temp sensor. Changed it with some results but still had poor power. Cleaned the snow screen and air box and replaced the filter, no change. Changed the fuel filter and primed with injecter cleaner and the power came back.

Its been running fine until yesterday. I comute 90 miles one way. With 14 miles left in the morning ther is a short but steep hill. Wile going up the hill the car loses power, from 80mph to 60 if i'm luckey. Once I crest it has all the power back. I need to mention, there are several hills on my comute that are as steep but shorter, and I have no problem on those. Stopped by a mechanic I know to see if any codes were showing and none were. He doesnot have a VAG.

Acting like bad fuel or plugged filter, I changd the filter and added Cetain boost.

On the way home in the evning, went up the hill 14 miles out fine, all the way home, no trouble. However this AM, same place same problem, over the hill at a max of 60mph.

Questions:

1. Is there something that could be heating up nearing the end of the drive causing this problem when there is a higher demand for power? The drive home has no hills for the last 30+ miles, my thought is: less demand for power.

2. What is the coolant capacity of 1.9?

3. Does anyone have a loink for a parts list necessary for removing the intake for cleaning? And if possible a tool list link as well?

Thanks in advance!

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
My money says you have a clogged intake, espescially if it has never been cleaned before. If you want to clean it, you can find all thge info you need here http://pics2.tdiclub.com/gwillie/VW/Sballintake/INTAKEMAN101b.htm

Also, you should use the advanced search function at the top and search for power loss and similar terms. you will find literally hundreds of threads addressing this issue.

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
I have seen similar behavior twice with my car. The first time it was a bad MAF. The second time a clogged intake. You can test the MAF by disconnecting it and seeing if you have more power, if so you likely need a new MAF. You can check the state of your intake by opening things up at the EGR valve.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Lex4TDI4Life said:
My money says you have a clogged intake, espescially if it has never been cleaned before. If you want to clean it, you can find all thge info you need here http://pics2.tdiclub.com/gwillie/VW/Sballintake/INTAKEMAN101b.htm .
I usually feel the clogged intake gets blamed for a lot of things that are not it, but this one does sound like it fits well.

If it has never been cleaned and if the engine does not have any current error codes (most codes can be read by a lot of auto part stores and some will do it for free, try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts.) You don't need to have the light on for codes to be there.

dbeag

TDI
99 VW bug 1.9
The intake was cleaned at about 70k.

I checked the MAF it is fine.

Talked to the original owner today, he is a very good mechanic. He replaced the timng belt, tentioners and rolers at 107k, per this forum. He allso installed different injecters, dont recall what they are.

I described the problem to him. He believes that being a commuter, 180 miles per round trip at least 4 times a week with little town driving, the intake should not be the problem.

He sugested I ask about the "lift pump" pressure and how to check it.

Sooo... what do you think? Could the pump not be keeping up with demand in heavy load conditions, ie climing a steep hill? His reasoning is; if the car performs well on flat ground, which it does, the intake should not be the issue.

Any response before premature demanifoldation would be appreciated.

Thanks

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
dbeag said:
Talked to the original owner today, he is a very good mechanic. ....

I described the problem to him. He believes that being a commuter, 180 miles per round trip at least 4 times a week with little town driving, the intake should not be the problem.

He sugested I ask about the "lift pump" pressure and how to check it.
Lift pump? In a 99? Don't think you have one.

You replaced the fuel filter and it worked well, but doesn't now. I'm guessing you got bad fuel that plugged the first fuel filter, and now has plugged the new one.

My wag is worth every penny you spent on it.

dbeag

TDI
99 VW bug 1.9
The new filter only had about 20 to 25 miles on it. Is it possible to plug that fast?

So your saying there is no pump in or near the fuel tank? He seemd very convineced that would be the issue.

Not questioning your knowledge, I just have no idea and am hoping for simplicity.

Thanks

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Unless he installed a lift pump in the tank, there isn't one there.

And if there is one there that isn't working, the car should still take that hill at 80. Well... I guess if it has one and the pump isn't pumping, it could cause a restriction...

flip the rear passenger seat up and lift the carpet flap. Remove the three screws and lift the plate. If the sending unit underneath has two wires, you don't have an in tank pump. Time to look elsewhere.

Did you find Canadain Grizzlys thread on troubleshooting low power?

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
I'm saying bad fuel clogging something quickly. Or just too much water. See if any water comes out of your "water drain" in the fuel filter. Only let 1 ounce or so come out so you won't have major issues starting the car.