Bad day for my new golf

Moparnut88

TDI
2004 Jetta, 2011 golf
Well I'm gonna buy back my wrecked 11 for sure. Haven't decide on a suitable replacement car yet. Test driving this this week. Its def a blast to drive but wish it had lower rpms on the interstate for mileage. 2017 Golf R. It's got 9k miles on it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Nice. The genuine article. I've always thought badge fakery is sorta cheesy. I did put a GTD grille/badge on my previous golf, but only after upgrading all of the hardware to GTD spec or better.

Moparnut88

TDI
2004 Jetta, 2011 golf
I tell you I get to drive this r until Tuesday and I'll say this if it would get a few mpg better on the highway I'd buy this no questions and fix my tdi when I get time. And I still might do that. This one is almost new idk how much one can expect the mileage to increase. Getting mid to low 20s mixed driving.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was looking at low mileage R's recently myself. They seem to be the most mature of the hot hatches. How is the power delivery compared to your tdi?

Moparnut88

TDI
2004 Jetta, 2011 golf
The power delivery is incredibly smooth and seemingly unstoppable and always on tap. Only complaint I've found is the high cruise rpm. I got to push her pretty hard on some damp pavement in tight corners and the 4motion never let me slip and held like glue to the road. Gotta drive it to believe it! If you can afford the fuel to feed it bc sub 20mpg could be had with a heavy foot! But the smiles per gallon def will go up though!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'll have to test drive one sometime. The awd would be so nice to have up here. I was looking at Subaru WRX's too, but much prefer the golf styling.

Moparnut88

TDI
2004 Jetta, 2011 golf
We just got about 5" last night and took this one out and very impressed. Never spun! I wonder if there was a way to have an economy tune for this car? Only thing I've seen. As much as I loved my tdi this R is incredible the more I drive it the more I've about made my mind up to take her home.

Moparnut88

TDI
2004 Jetta, 2011 golf
Economy tune? Lighter foot :)
I know! Hard to do with that much fun! I'm gonna be taking it to work tomorrow night about 45min on the interstate straight and flat. Hoping for high 20s. What's the best cruising speed I wonder? It seems to turn close to 3k at 75mph.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What's the best cruising speed I wonder? It seems to turn close to 3k at 75mph.

For mpg? Slower than you want to go ;) . Probably around 60 mph. It starts falling off pretty quick past 70 mph usually. I wonder if regular unleaded is ok in the R. I know the newer gti's can run on 87 octane.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
If no airbag deployment in your old one, swap that interior if cheap enough to buy the car back. Check ebay/lkq etc for price of interior swap before making your decision.

Moparnut88

TDI
2004 Jetta, 2011 golf
Well as of right now I've bought my car back from the Insurance to either fix, or part out and just bought a near new 17 golf r to get me by until I get another tdi. Been driving the r all weekend and all i can say is wow. Exceptional car. Kinda one of those you got to drive it to understand. I was able to squeeze close to 25mpg on the interstate running 78mph so that was acceptable for my needs.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
Drive a stage3 MKVI TDI, 350ft lb of torque likely mimics to a degree the thrust of the R. Plus the increase in economy over the stock TDI leaves one feeling they have the best of both worlds.

I laugh every time some one expresses their concern of reliability of a tuned car. Any car that gets hammered on daily will have reliability issues a tuned car that is driven in a caring manner will last as long as a stock one.

My 03 golf with 300,000mi used no oil and ran like it did the day I had it tuned. (stage 4 rocketchip)

Last edited:

Moparnut88

TDI
2004 Jetta, 2011 golf
Yes that's what I think I've got in mind is to drive this r while I build and play with this tdi.