1998 Vw Jetta TDI - Project / donor car

vwsnaps

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Update feburary 28th
Car is still available as a savable beater daily. Or as a complete donor car!!!

1998 Volkswagen Vw Jetta TDI Turbo Diesel - Parts / Donor / Project Car
located Nebraska
$1500 fIrm

1998 Vw Jetta TDI
AHU - 1.9l Turbo diesel engine - Just installed new timing belt this week along with tensioner
5 speed Manual Transmission
217,000 - miles shown on the odometer
Silver body is rough - dented fenders, doors , hood , broken grill , part of rear bumper cover missing, passenger headlight might be broke , missing interior lower glove box.
Interior is FILTHY - dirty - tons of dirt , rocks , gravel and previous owners trash still in the car.
Steel wheels with tires that hold air - not sure they are good but they do NOT go flat.
Battery is DEAD - will start with a JUMP START.

Car needs brakes - car will need towed!!! The brake pedal is soft and wont build pressure - you can pump them to slow down but i would NOT DRIVE THIS - TOW AWAY

I bought this Mk3 TDI as a donor car for an Mk2 Jetta Coupe Project ( for sale ) that i have decided to bail on. I bought this car not running , previous owner ran it out of diesel.
I primed the pump got it running and noticed the timing belt was in very bad shape ( old , needed replaced ) so i decided to do it so it didnt break and cause engine damage )

I expect this car to be a donor car to used in Jeep , Suzuki Samurai , Old Vw like i was going to do?

Car has NO sunroof , manual windows , cloth dirty interior , i dont know if the radio or Ac or heat work - you put a jump box on the battery, it starts right up. Previous owner has black tape covering the Check Engine Light on the cluster - i have NOT scanned it to see why its on. Its does NOT run in limp mode - cant really get it up to speed since there are NO brakes - master cylinder is full of fluid so i am assuming the brake booster is bad - but that is only a guess.

Did i mention the Jetta is FILTHY and i do not plan to clean it.

SOld AS IS WHERE IS - Outside Lincoln Nebraska - WILL NEED TOWED - Once you pay for it , you can drive it / tow it away - no test drives since it has no BRAKES.
These TDI swaps sell for good money - i did timing belt so its ready to drop into another car or fix up this beast and get 45 MPG all day long.

My daily driver is another 1998 TDI. I love it.

402-671-0355 - TEXT ONLY - if you have questions.

I might consider a trade for an older Volkswagen Rabbit Pick up truck - diesel or gas - or an older Jetta , corrado or dune buggy ? Manx ?

Last edited:

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
so why would someone have given you more than you were asking for the whole car for just the motor? Seems kind of odd.

A pulled, verified running engine is almost always going to be worth more than in an unsafe donor car. I parted out my car the same way. Once I separated the engine, I got more total value.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Let me see if I'm understanding this correctly.

You sold the engine on December 27th and now you're asking $1500 for the remainder of the vehicle?

vwsnaps

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
And I said. I sold the motor swap $1500. Ended up using a different car for motor. Turned down 5 ebay offers of $1200 for only the motor.. Sold 5 of these mk3 tdi's in the last 5 months. Not on this particular site. Cuz everyone here knows what cars are worth obviously.