2015 VW Golf TDI SportWagen Concept: New York Auto Show Debut

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
I get so much crap for driving a wagon. But really...compared to a SUV or CUV, a wagon has all the utility, gets better mpg, plus handles so much better.
AWD, 6spd Manual, Diesel, Wagon = Love.
I am surprised at that reaction in Austin. Maybe you need to add a biodiesel sticker.

RabbitRedux

TDI
B5.5 Passat (1.8Tgasser)
I am planning to buy a '15 TDI Sportwagen, and if they offer 4Motion, I will opt for it for sure.

I presume since MQB is a transverse architecture, it will be a Haldex system (Haldex 5?) Anyone know for sure?

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
What happened to the dual turbo concept? Or any turbo beyond the Passat turbo?

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
My parents would buy one of these for sure, but they would rather a bigger Passat wagon like mine - they just don't like the swap headaches I suffer!

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
2015 Jetta

From the NY Tmes:

What makes it tick? Three conventional gasoline engines, a 2-liter 4-cylinder, a 1.8-liter turbo 4-cylinder and a 2-liter turbo 4-cylinder are carry-overs from last year, as is the 1.4-liter 4-cylinder gas burner used in the full hybrid Jetta. At least partially new is an improved version of the automaker’s 2-liter TDI turbodiesel 4-cylinder. The revised 2-liter TDI generates 150 horsepower, 10 more than the previous engine. Fuel economy is also better, with VW estimating 32 city/45 highway. Upgrades to the engine include reduced internal fraction, intake manifold cooling and separate coolant loops for engine block and cylinder head to improve thermal management and help retain heat energy. Radiator grill shutters that close when the engine is not in need of cooling also provide thermal control while improving aerodynamics. A revised exhaust aftertreatment system, necessary to reduce diesel emissions, is said to provide better emissions control and improved fuel economy.
How much, how soon? Volkswagen says that the 2015 Jetta will go on sale in the third quarter of 2014. Pricing information is not yet available.
How does it look? The front and rear styling have been revised but not to the extent that heads will turn. LED jewelry “graces” the optional Bi-Xenon headlights. A minimalist spoiler adorns the rear deck. Available LED taillights add a bit of rear end razzle dazzle.

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
IMO looks like they are finally giving more options to us because Mazda is right around the corner with the Sky Active-D in the 6. Funny, Toyota just made a deal with Mazda, to use Mazda's Sky Active-G engine in the updated Yaris.

If Toyota, the giant car maker is taking notice of Mazda, you can bet VW is too.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
As long a 4motion is an option, yay. But I don't want it myself. I don't live or drive anywhere where I'd need it, and the cost of changing all the tires if only one goes out is a bit too pricey for me!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Perhaps (cross fingers) VW will surprise us with better head units when the new cars start showing up on the lots.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
So looking forward to this with 4motion. Up here in the Great White North, we love these things!:)
Not me. No desire for the extra costs: up front, upkeep, and extra fuel. Our current FWD wagon with 4 good winter tires, traction control and stability control works just fine in the worst that Quebec winters can throw at us, and consumes less than 5 L/100 km on the highway (at least in summer) and less than 6 in winter. I'm sure AWD would add: thousands to the purchase cost, at least 1.0 L/100 km in consumption, and just one more thing to go wrong.

Bill W

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
One new aerodynamic feature on the Jetta TDI 1.8T and 2.0 TDI Clean Diesel is a closeable shutter for the radiator grille. Closing the radiator shutter helps shorten the warm-up phase of the engine due to reduced air cooling. If the engine coolant temperature drops below a predefined temperature threshold while driving, the radiator shutter remains shut. Once the engine moves beyond the warm-up phase, the shutter can open and close based on vehicle speed and cooling demands. When closed, frontal airflow is guided around the body, which helps to improve the car's aerodynamics and thus reduces fuel consumption.
This is something I've seen people on here complain about not having. I pulled this from Green Car Congress concerning the new Jetta coming out.

Jim B PEI

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon 5M, (2010 Golf wagon DSG GONE, replaced by a 2014 Subaru Forester)
Well, too little, too late. The 2010 Golf Wagon w/TDI/DSG is GONE. Traded it and the 2004 Subaru Forester for a 2014 Subaru Forester with CVT, panoramic sunroof, backup camera, and all the things the Golf had and more. After all the freaking engine drama/free long distance tows already under warranty with the Golf--and it was under 100,000 km--and with the upcoming $$$ for DSG rinse out, keeping it longer wasn't an option. The Forester is already getting into the 6.8 Litres/100 km average range on trips (34.5 US mpg/41.5 Imp mpg)--at 110kph--through the steep hills in northern Nova Scotia, with an extra 400 kg on board. Factor in the much cheaper 87 RUG compared to diesel, and its CHEAPER to drive than a TDI wagon. Plus, its not a DSG. Mileage with a DSG isn't wonderful, and this car never was wonderful on mileage, no matter what. And, call me crazy, but to my way of thinking I prefer a good CVT to the DSG which has all the downsides to a torque converter automatic and more, and none of the benefits of a real manual. Subie has several more inches ground clearance than the Golf as well. Chalk/cheese I know, but that Forester is a sweet ride. Having put 300,000 km on the last Forester, I know what to expect.

IF VW had gotten its act together several years ago, with a TDI + 6 speed + 4 Motion Golf Wagon, that could have been the ONE car instead of the two car compromise that we lived through for several years. Maybe without the DSG I could have liked the Golf enough to consider another new VW with a TDI. That being said--I still love my 2003 ALH 5 speed Jetta wagon a lot, and its staying.

I'm not impressed by the specifications of the concept with its puny road clearance. Boulevard commuter. I don't go 'off-road' but there are gravel/broken pavement roads galore here, and clay/gumbo roads as well that during the soppy spring and fall seasons need AWD to get through, and every bit of ground clearance helps. I'll take the Subie's 8.7 inch over the Golf concept's whatever.

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
Beautiful car, I have no need to 4 wheel drive, but I like the exterior...

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Minor detail just popped up while taking self study tests - the rated fuel tank volume dropped from 55L to 50L. This is on Golf and GTI. Given the same MQB chassis I would believe the wagon probably has the small tank as well.

Also I was a little put off because to fit the DEF tank the TDI gets solid beam rear axle while the gas engines get 4 link rear suspension. I wonder how that is going to work on getting a 4Motion TDI?

Jason

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I remember seeing the comment a while back that they had to reduce the size of the fuel tank to make room for the Urea tank. Not sure why then they also have to do away with the irs.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I think the reduced fuel tank size is across the MQB platform, regardless of whether TDI or not. The loss of IRS is TDI-related. I just looked at the specs for the Golf in France and the fuel capacity is listed as 50 liters regardless of model.

Those are two major points in favor of retaining my Mk VI (and my wife's Mk V wagon)

twopassats-one-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf Wagon TDI Comfortline
Having driven a 4Motion Passat I can tell you that AWD chews up tires alot faster than FWD only. One possible future repair that may be required is the drive shaft/aka Torque-Tube. It went in my 4Motion Passat. $2,000 repair!

I'm of two minds on the whole 4Motion thing. I really liked it especially in the winter but there is a cost associated with it from the get-go...tires, more fuel, more maintenance. I really don't know if I'm going to rush out and get one. I really do love my Golf Wagon Comfortline for it's simplicity (as compared to my GLX 4Motion Passat). If anything I'll wait a while to see how it does in NA.

I do however think it's long overdue coming to North America

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
Having driven a 4Motion Passat I can tell you that AWD chews up tires alot faster than FWD only. One possible future repair that may be required is the drive shaft/aka Torque-Tube. It went in my 4Motion Passat. $2,000 repair!

I'm of two minds on the whole 4Motion thing. I really liked it especially in the winter but there is a cost associated with it from the get-go...tires, more fuel, more maintenance. I really don't know if I'm going to rush out and get one. I really do love my Golf Wagon Comfortline for it's simplicity (as compared to my GLX 4Motion Passat). If anything I'll wait a while to see how it does in NA.

I do however think it's long overdue coming to North America
Same reason STI's and EVO's go through tires so fast, AWD, and when your buying 18 inchers your going to have to go deep into your pockets...

twopassats-one-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf Wagon TDI Comfortline
Same reason STI's and EVO's go through tires so fast, AWD, and when your buying 18 inchers your going to have to go deep into your pockets...
The good stuff/fun stuff always costs more to buy but more to maintain. I think at some point though it becomes the law of diminishing returns.

Still...I can't imagine why they wouldn't bring it here, North America's lack of desire for wagons not-with-standing.

TDI's are unique and driven by a very discerning genre of drivers. I think the evolution of this wagon to 4Motion is a sure thing. They have the technology. There is no reason to not bring it here. It will sell.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Can't say I agree on AWD tyre life. My Forester is much easier on tyres than the (smaller, lighter, less HP) RWD Suzuki I had last.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
My Tiguan has 4Motion, and I'm still on the original tires at 41,000 miles. I think I've got about another 10k left on them, but I may not wait that long.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
So I was going over the Self Study for EA288 again and caught another detail that concerned me (refering to Passat Turbo thread).
Heat-up phase
If the oxidising catalytic converter and particulate filter are still cold, the engine management system triggers up to two targeted secondary injections immediately after the main injection. This brings the oxidising catalytic converter and the particulate filter up to operating temperature as quickly as possible.
The fuel that is injected during post-injection burns in the cylinder and increases the temperature level of the combustion. The heat that it generates passes through the flow of air in the exhaust system to the oxidising catalytic converter and particulate filter, and heats them up.
The heating phase is complete as soon as the operating temperature of the oxidising catalytic converter and the particulate filter have been attained for a certain period of time.
I thought I had also read about post combustion injections that sent unburnt fuel into the cat to help raise temperature, depending on conditions. EDIT: this is to start active regeneration.

It's way too early to make assumptions, but I definately will wait until cars with this engine have some miles on them to see how the turbo holds up to the heat load.

Jason

Ref: SSP 820433

Last edited: