SMF flywheel on 4motion TDI?

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
I was advised against doing this but the person didn’t give me much of a reason. I discovered I have oone of Whitbreads magical flywheels on a parts car so I would like to put it to use. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
I had terrible noises from my 01e with a solid mass flywheel. I believe the synchros were rattling at certain resonate frequencies in lower RPMS. It was only a stock audi 80 flywheel, which is not like whitbreads. I love the 240mm SRE setup, and it was worth every penny after going through 3 very expensive flywheel and clutch combinations.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
6 speed gearbox will get syncro damage from SMF, had a b6 a4 1.9 tdi with a TTV Racing single mass flywheel and Southbend rs4 clutch kit and the gearbox got destroyed 2000 miles after the swap ! ‘

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
my 7.3 with too light a flywheel certainly has the GRAAAAAAK going on any time it's lugged or at low idle

The common solution is to put thicker oil in, but it gets cold here so that'll destroy synchros quick. I raised the idle and ignore the gear chatter. It is just the backlash being taken up back and forth by the individual power and compression strokes speeding and slowing the input shaft.

The real end-all solution: Run a heavier flywheel. Make an extra weight for the balancer to get extra rotating mass out front if you run out of room in the bellhousing.
My 0A6 is running glass smooth with a 40+lb flywheel despite a solid flywheel and solid hub clutch disc.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
It will be an 01e when I’m done with it ��
There's nothing inherently wrong with the 01A. Granted, it's not as strong as an 01E, limited to 5-speeds, and your 1.8T will have the wrong ratios, but on the positive side: 01A is perfectly adequate if you're budget conscious and not doing a crazy build, not picky about SMF vs DMF, allows for more plentiful 228mm clutch options than 240mm, and ones with TDI-specific ratios are dirt cheap out of Europe, and you don't need to replace the starter motor, center driveshaft and rear diff (if your 1.8T already has a 3.889 ratio) and consequently the rear axles too.

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
There's nothing inherently wrong with the 01A. Granted, it's not as strong as an 01E, limited to 5-speeds, and your 1.8T will have the wrong ratios, but on the positive side: 01A is perfectly adequate if you're budget conscious and not doing a crazy build, not picky about SMF vs DMF, allows for more plentiful 228mm clutch options than 240mm, and ones with TDI-specific ratios are dirt cheap out of Europe, and you don't need to replace the starter motor, center driveshaft and rear diff (if your 1.8T already has a 3.889 ratio) and consequently the rear axles too.
So the Auto Drive shaft work with the 01a? As will my whitbread clutch and flywheel?

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
I’m going with an 01a and an FX300 clutch with the whitebread 240mm flywheel. I may also go woth a high bias diff as well.