Glow plug issue

mabrown

TDI
2000 2006
2001 TDI Jetta and the glow plugs do not come on until after the engine has started. We have followed the troubleshooting threads for glow plugs and everything checks as OK to the last step which is to replace the temp sensor. We have tried 6 different temp senors and still the same issue. The glow plugs work when the temp sensor is unplugged.

Where to go from here? Which wires on the temp sensor are for the glow plugs?
Thank you

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
The fact that you're getting afterglow *and* a full glow cycle with the CTS unplugged suggests that the system is largely working as designed.

The plugs themselves don't pre-glow much until around the freezing mark. Unfortunately not too familiar with Iowa weather... is it around below freezing where you are?

If so... the glow plug control module is probably your next suspect... it's what decides how long run the plugs based on temperature.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
If so... the glow plug control module is probably your next suspect... it's what decides how long run the plugs based on temperature.

It's an 01 I don't think it has an indipendant GP controller.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The component I'm referring to is P/N 038 911 253, position 10 on the relay panel, usually has a "180" label on the top. :)

It's a relay plus some electronics that reads the CTS and decides on pre-glow time.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
The component I'm referring to is P/N 038 911 253, position 10 on the relay panel, usually has a "180" label on the top. :)

It's a relay plus some electronics that reads the CTS and decides on pre-glow time.

Yeah you're right, was looking over the schematic on it :) Try another one I suppose. I wonder if it'll log a code in VCDS if it goes bad.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I've read the GP system monitoring is pretty good and usually will trip the appropriate code, but it also sounds like nothings left but the relay. Do check the associated wiring/connectors.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No worries. :)

The ECU has a pretty good handle on overall glow plug system operation and the specific health of each glowplug, but there are some subtle things it can't detect, such as a CTS sensor that's lying about the actual temperature or if the module itself is making a bad decision.

The OP's issue seems to be on the subtle side, since it sounds like he's getting proper afterglow power to the glowplugs *and* a new CTS / proper response when the CTS is disconnected suggests the sensor side is fine.

Expensive part to shotgun, unfortunately... maybe a local junkyard has 'em?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Does the glow lamp come on when you turn the key on and go out after an appropriate time period on a cold start?

Does the engine start up OK cold?

Does the ECU see the coolant temp on a cold start as it actually is?

There is a preglow period somewhere in the ECU data (I forget where, rarely need to look), I'd be curious to see what it says.

49ish F is the threshold for preglow, but there are other factors like altitude pressure figured in to the preglow map , not sure how much difference it actually makes.

The glow control unit inside the car can fail and set a specific DTC, that is NOT an actual glow plug DTC. I have seen that a couple times, the MIL will be on though, as it would be with any specific plug circuit failure. These cars are actually VERY good at monitoring the glow system.

mabrown

TDI
2000 2006
Does the glow lamp come on when you turn the key on and go out after an appropriate time period on a cold start? Yes but glow plugs are not energized

Does the engine start up OK cold? Summer it starts fine w/o glow plugs but are needed now in the winter.

Does the ECU see the coolant temp on a cold start as it actually is? It reads 10.8 C so that is just below room temp Actual temp is about 45 F.

There is a preglow period somewhere in the ECU data 9.95

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Just to be clear, do you have a glow plug code of some kind that is causing your engine light to come on?

Check the wiring to the temp sensor. Be especially observant of where the wires go into the CTS plug itself. I've found several VW wiring problems at the plugs themselves. If that checks out, follow the two wires as far as possible and check for chafing/breakage.

You have an 01 so you have a two wire glow plug system, and the relay is located under the dash above your feet with a 180 printed on it. If you don't find any wire compromise you could try changing that out and see if it fixes the issue.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
10.8 C likely will not do any preglow, it is right on the threshold. Look to see what the preglow period is supposed to be, I bet it is at 0.00 sec. You have something else going on, and the extra aid of preglow helps get it going. Low compression, poor fuel injection, slow cranking, bad fuel, etc.

Unless the CTS value is off "just enough" but usually they either work or they do not. Even with no functional preglow at all, a healthy ALH will start right up at 45 F.