Upgrade options

Joshthemedic

TDI
2000 Jetta
First and foremost, I already used the search option and didn't find exactly what I was looking for and I am looking for a few different pieces of info.

I just acquired a 2000 Jett MK4 5 speed manual in a trade for my old 2000 MK4 auto. I only had the auto for 3 months and it was my first TDI. The car has 388k miles on it and the current motor has 115k miles. It is stock with the exception of a 2.5" turbo back exhaust. Listed below are several questions I have about what I need to do to get to my goals and to just know more about my new car. I got this for my commuter car and a fun little around town car. I am looking for a goal of 150 HP. I already have a drag race car and a Ram 2500 Cummins, so I am not looking to race the car or pull anything with it. I know that I'll need to do a compression test, timing belt kit and all of the other stuff to make sure the car is in good mechanical order prior to doing any upgrades.

What is the 5 speed transmission called in the MK4's, I know the auto was the 01M?

The clutch is going out, hard to get into gear, good replacement to go with for my power goals?

Fueling needs to accomplish my power goals, do I need to upgrade to add a lift pump and a 11mm pump or either one or neither one?

VNT17 or VNT17/22 turbo?

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
First and foremost, I already used the search option and didn't find exactly what I was looking for and I am looking for a few different pieces of info.

I just acquired a 2000 Jett MK4 5 speed manual in a trade for my old 2000 MK4 auto. I only had the auto for 3 months and it was my first TDI. The car has 388k miles on it and the current motor has 115k miles. It is stock with the exception of a 2.5" turbo back exhaust. Listed below are several questions I have about what I need to do to get to my goals and to just know more about my new car. I got this for my commuter car and a fun little around town car. I am looking for a goal of 150 HP. I already have a drag race car and a Ram 2500 Cummins, so I am not looking to race the car or pull anything with it. I know that I'll need to do a compression test, timing belt kit and all of the other stuff to make sure the car is in good mechanical order prior to doing any upgrades.

What is the 5 speed transmission called in the MK4's, I know the auto was the 01M?

02j 5spd

The clutch is going out, hard to get into gear, good replacement to go with for my power goals?

Southbend Endurance 2

Fueling needs to accomplish my power goals, do I need to upgrade to add a lift pump and a 11mm pump or either one or neither one?

Either 10 or 11mm is more than enough for your power goals.

VNT17 or VNT17/22 turbo?
Vnt 17 turbo and pp520 or pp764's will do the job. You should average 45-50 mpg but this also depends on your right foot.

bajan