TDIFest 2016 location discussion

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Big Sky was "under discussion" earlier in the summer I do believe.

But it would be a BIG help if some bid requrements/needs existed in a printed form. That does not exist, so it makes putting together a bid package very much a hit and miss proposition each year.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Big Sky was "under discussion" earlier in the summer I do believe.

But it would be a BIG help if some bid requrements/needs existed in a printed form. That does not exist, so it makes putting together a bid package very much a hit and miss proposition each year.
Whoever does the "official" blessing of a proposal should have that (at least as a checklist) after what, 13? fests. If they don't, then maybe the group that did this year's could come up with one?

LarryMax

TDI
2011 Jetta
Newbe at this. 2015 was my first TDI Fest. great get away for the bride and I. Not going to step on toes but I have made some inquires at the Hershey Lodge in Hershey PA. and some other resorts in Lancaster County, PA. just to get an Idea of whats avaliable in my area. And would be willing to help here or volunteer at another site what that site is decided upon. until then I will try to compile something close by the Pennsylvania area. even if it gets used in 2017 or later. I know these take time and a huge effort. My hats off to those setting up the 2015 I had a great time. THANK YOU TO ALL AND THEIR EFFORTS !!!

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Whoever does the "official" blessing of a proposal should have that (at least as a checklist) after what, 13? fests. If they don't, then maybe the group that did this year's could come up with one?

Fred gives the official blessing to the location. They do have a check list. There is a lot more to it,as we have found out in the pass couple of years.

LarryMax

TDI
2011 Jetta
Also if someone could give me some insight about the auction and raffle I understand some states won't allow TDI Fest to conduct their own but have to hire outside licensed people to do this... Thoughts ?

MonsterTDI09

TDI
Also if someone could give me some insight about the auction and raffle I understand some states won't allow TDI Fest to conduct their own but have to hire outside licensed people to do this... Thoughts ?
This can be a problem.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
This can be a problem.
Right.

I'm not really convinced of the value of those things anyhow. From a vendor point of view, since much of the stuff sells at a significant discount, I'd much rather just donate the cash equivalent. From a user point of view, I'd rather have the banquet dinner feature a "keynote" speaker of some sort.

I'm not part of organizing these, so please don't take what I am saying as a criticism at all. That being said, I think that TDIFest would be well served if it made itself a bit more formal, more conference, less GTG. For me, I think a big draw would be for outside speakers and more in-depth and official tech sessions.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
Right.

I'm not really convinced of the value of those things anyhow. From a vendor point of view, since much of the stuff sells at a significant discount, I'd much rather just donate the cash equivalent. From a user point of view, I'd rather have the banquet dinner feature a "keynote" speaker of some sort.

I'm not part of organizing these, so please don't take what I am saying as a criticism at all. That being said, I think that TDIFest would be well served if it made itself a bit more formal, more conference, less GTG. For me, I think a big draw would be for outside speakers and more in-depth and official tech sessions.
It's not the value. It how the way money is exchange according to Maine Law. A keynote speaker cost big bucks. If you would like pay for a speaker
They sure would look into it.

I though the Tech sessions were fine not short or to long.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
The Tech sessions were of a nice length but I missed a few due to helping with other Fest activities. I'm sure a lot of people would attend if IDParts sponsored a keynote speaker.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Right.

I absolutely understand and appreciate your point of view, however, a simple cash donation is less interesting from an attendee perspective. So while it is more work to organize the various auctions and raffles, people get more entertainment out of it when they can win items and participate in those activities. This is just my point of view, of course. I may be totally off base, and a cash donation could free up our time to plan other activities.

We will be sending out a survey for this year's fest, and we appreciate brutal honesty. Positive feedback is wonderful, but we learn from criticisms. :)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Speaking of other activities, I would love to see a swap meet, and we have received feedback that more introductory tech sessions would be helpful for those attendees who aren't familiar with how vehicles work.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Big Sky is nice. I've been to that resort in summer. When I was there in July there was still snow at the top of the mountain.

Big Sky is daunting, being so remote for so many people. I know it would be an amazing place, but how many people would actually put up and show up?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You're probably right. It's in the middle of effing nowhere. Better to be in a more urban/central location. I still like Colorado Springs, Denver, Vail, or Aspen as options.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You're probably right. It's in the middle of effing nowhere. Better to be in a more urban/central location. I still like Colorado Springs, Denver, Vail, or Aspen as options.
Nah; Flagstaff, Sedona, or Prescott in AZ (so I can tie it in with a house hunting trip).

BRMTDI

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI BRM PD140 Turbo, PD150 Injectors RC2+
Colorado sounds cool, I have a cousin out there.

Just hoping which ever location is near everyone, that way the turn out stays huge.

I heard the more central the fest the bigger the turns outs, just what I hear at least.

But never been to Colorado,

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Who do I need to private message for the needs of the Fest ? Or am I to new to be considering this ?

I'm always willing to share Fest information. Send me a message when you get a chance.

dmcdon2851

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium
Newbe at this. 2015 was my first TDI Fest. great get away for the bride and I. Not going to step on toes but I have made some inquires at the Hershey Lodge in Hershey PA. and some other resorts in Lancaster County, PA. just to get an Idea of whats avaliable in my area. And would be willing to help here or volunteer at another site what that site is decided upon. until then I will try to compile something close by the Pennsylvania area. even if it gets used in 2017 or later. I know these take time and a huge effort. My hats off to those setting up the 2015 I had a great time. THANK YOU TO ALL AND THEIR EFFORTS !!!
I think Hershey would be fantastic and would assist in drawing from the Midwest and the East Coast...

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think Hershey would be fantastic and would assist in drawing from the Midwest and the East Coast...
It has never been a problem getting attendees from those areas; the problem is getting those from WEST of the Mississippi. Of course, a Fest held west of the river would probably draw more Westerners than Easterners. A location that is roughly the same distance between the East Coast & the West Coast, British Columbia & Florida, and Southern California & New Brunswick might be a good compromise (though I'd like to see one up in the four western provinces of Canada).

VeeDubTDI

TDI
It has never been a problem getting attendees from those areas; the problem is getting those from WEST of the Mississippi. Of course, a Fest held west of the river would probably draw more Westerners than Easterners. A location that is roughly the same distance between the East Coast & the West Coast, British Columbia & Florida, and Southern California & New Brunswick might be a good compromise (though I'd like to see one up in the four western provinces of Canada).
So... St. Louis?

The issue is not finding a good location. The issue is getting people to do the legwork in a good location. ;)

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So... St. Louis?

The issue is not finding a good location. The issue is getting people to do the legwork in a good location. ;)
Well, actually, it would be more Kansas City/Topeka/Omaha/Des Moines! :D I would really like to attend one up in British Columbia, Alberta, or Saskatchewan.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I would like to attend one in Belize or Alaska. Can we do a TDIClub Fest cruise? Something going through the Panama Canal would be nice, although probably a bit longer than we can fit into the Labor Day weekend. :D ;)

gloaming

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT CR170 (Sold); 2004 R32 (not a TDI)
Colorado is very cool (I took a trip to Denver this summer), but would we really want to put that many turbos at risk going a mile above sea level?

Tennessee would be really cool though. The state is absolutely beautiful. The VW plant is down there and I bet we can find some open roads for some light heart competition :)

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Tennessee would be really cool though. The state is absolutely beautiful. The VW plant is down there and I bet we can find some open roads for some light heart competition :)
*cough cough* THE DRAGON *cough cough*