BRM Plug-and-Play Turbo Upgrade?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
After much searching an a long wait, we received two turbos that are used on the A5 with engine code BMM in Europe. Here it is:

This is off a 2.0 liter TDI that makes 140 HP stock. And it's a Garrett, not Borg-Warner. Here the two are side-by-side.

Although it doesn't appear a huge amount larger, both hot and cold sides are bigger than the stock turbo. And our thinking is that if it can make 40 more HP in a stock application, maybe it'll get a tuned BRM with stock injectors into the 160-170 HP range.

One of our major objectives easy installation. As best we can tell this will bolt on, intake and compressor exit will attach as normal. It does appear it would need a different downpipe as the turbine exit is in a slightly different location. But we suspect that people who want to upgrade to this turbo may want to upgrade exhaust, too. And the oil feed line location is different, as is the fitting.

The actuator doesn't have the feedback loop included, but I believe that's something a tuner can take out of the picture. Since the actuator and lever to the vanes is in an entirely different location, it doesn't look like an actuator swap will be easy.

I honestly don't recall the pricing (I ordered these in April!) but I think it was a few hundred more than the stock replacement. Given the ease of installation it may end up being a pretty economical upgrade.

We're eager to get one of these in a car and do a dyno with the appropriate tune. I think we already have a volunteer! :D

im570rm

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi a6 avant 2.5 tdi quattro
right a5 bmm is that manifold from,for an year or so i had tens of them and couldn't figure from what car is it from :D
anyway the actuator from a5 is pointed up ,you need to modify the bracket a bit so the inlet oil line will enter cuz as you see it haves a different inlet oil line .Also you need a flange to cover the egt hole if you don't need it ,it haves special screw ,eather make it or just weld it (second is easier :D )
Before putting the turbo on the car adjust the stopscrew,it will be easier now ...if the stopscrew is not in the right spot the turbo will not make requested boost untill 2200 rpm ,i suggest to start with same adjustment as on your original turbo.

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't that the same base that the ST upgrades are built on? :confused:

ducesrwld

Veteran Member
TDI
none
for the comp & exhaust sizes how does it compare to the vnt17vb? should be able to give you a good idea how much this turbo can put out.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
It's smaller. IIRC it's a 16/45. Not very big, but bigger than stock. Talked with Jeff about it today at Waterfest, I'm hoping to get him to tune for one soon, maybe at the next Ho5G.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Need any other volunteers, I have RC2 already, would get us in the ball park wouldnt it?

I can fab DP's as well...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
TDIRacing (Oliver) is getting one today to test fit. He feels the stock downpipe might fit. My only concern is getting oil feed and return lines sorted, as the fittings are different and the BRM return line is incorporated into that support bracket.

Oliver hopes this turbo will at least solve the boost creep a highly tuned BRM seems to suffer. Mach1, lets see what Oliver learns and discuss another test install.

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
Got the turbos. Hopefully have some time this week to test fit and see what I need to order to fab the feed and return lines.

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
I am hoping to get the -4 feed line and some weld fittings tomorrow. This looks like an easy install if the return line works it will be cake. Have it mocked up in basement on spare engine right now.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I'm interested if he's able to attach the downpipe. The turbine exit is a bit towards the passenger side of the car compared to the OE turbo. Oliver says there's room there. We'll see...

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
Got -3 line and not -4 damn!. Back to parts house tomorrow and hope they have the right hose. Dont realize it until i compared to my old one with one wrong end(npt and not AN). -3 is too small for these turbos. I think tig welding on one fitting for oil geed line and maybe the cat bracket may need some modification and it will all fit. Have to drill one hole in the compressor housing casting for the intake tube, but that is easy as well. BRM uses 2 bolts instead of one and clip. I like the Garrett compressor wheel better than KKK one as well. Has 12 blades 6main/6innner vs 10 5/5 on kkk. This turbo has a nice design to it. Has a hole for EGT probe, but will plug it and use my block off plate for the EGT prob instead. Easier than trying to fit it into the factory hole. Once I get it all test fitted on bench I will put it in. Hopefully this weekend if I can get the correct line.

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
Yeah I will plug the EGT hole and use the block off plate for my probe. The threads are large in the factory hole, so easier to use the plate location. I have everything ready for the install, just find the time this week to get it in.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Oliver has been wrestling with his schedule, in Ohio this weekend. He says he'll get it installed and the car re-tuned next week.

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
Very true. And I was trying to find a specific fitting(with no luck) this weekend that will make future installs easier.

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
Finally got the fittings I wanted which will be useful for future installs. Will try to get it in one evening this week still.

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
IT'S IN!!!!!!!!

And it works great. Just drove a few miles to heat it up and test it out. Had some issues with the oil line, but that was my fault from beginning because I broke it it not realizing it was reverse thread. Anyway...

It bolts up fine. Exhaust, oil return all fit like the stock turbo. i modified the oil feed line connection, but I found a fitting that will work for others that does not require welding like I did.

First impressions: It has slightly less whistle on spool up. It controls the boost better than the KKK. I have Rocketchip 2 and with stock turbo it would overboost at higher RPMs(creep). I did a few quick runs tonight, and the boost was rock solid at 18-19PSI to redline. It used to creep into the 20-25 range before. The blade design if different in this turbo so maybe that has something to do with it.

I have no actuator position sensor, so I have a check engine light for this because it is unplugged. Runs fine, but Jeff said he can tune that issue out for me.

I have some pictures that I can post up after I talk to Peter tomorrow.

Peter call me!:)