2010 TDI golf confirmed for North America

Jeepmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI GLS
I will check again but i am pretty sure the graph covers all said car brands under/with Volkswagen (Which I now see is a subsidiary of Porche) like rotary said VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda, Porche, ect.

But I wasn't aware that they manufactured some models beside Ford, Chrysler and the such. That would probably put me in the wrong there.

Black Dung Beetle

TDI
2011 White Golf TDI
winterlocked said:
Hi fellas,

Good news - a North American golf TDI is confirmed!
Better news - All of them will be made in Wolfsburg!
Weird news - VW are dropping the Jetta Sportwagen in NA and replacing it with... a golf sportwagen? Made in Mexico??

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/February2009/11/c7575.html
I road my motorcycle up to BC last week when it was nicer out. While I was going through Vancouver on the way back down I saw what I think was the new Golf/Rabbit. Whatever it was it was better looking than the Rabbit we currently have here now. It looked more like a VW to me.

My dream car would be an AWD TDI Golf wagon. I don't like the fancier trim on the Jetta's interiors and have always though the Golf front end looked better. VW should looked at making the car they became famous for, utilitarian.

darrenf

Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW TDI Black/Black, Pano, Avignons
Jeepmb said:
I will check again but i am pretty sure the graph covers all said car brands under/with Volkswagen (Which I now see is a subsidiary of Porche) like rotary said VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda, Porche, ect.
Porsche can block decisions at VW with it's current stake (~50.5%) but they can't take financial control until they acquire 80% which is every single publicly traded share, so it's unlikely that VW will ever be a subsidiary of Porsche unless the law is changed to move that threshold to 75% (which is the required ownership for companies *other* than VW).

-darren

suffeks

Veteran Member
TDI
02 GT TDi
The 2010 Golf is sitting on the lot at a Calgary dealership for the car show next weekend.

TDIMOFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jstta TDI
I wouldn't exactly call the MK VI 2010 golf in this image an improvement from a design point of view.
I would not call it pretty.
Really Can't VW do better than this?
The seams between body panels look terrible as do the little sensor divots.
the grille is a step backwards.
Maybe this is a phony mockup... One can hope.
TDIMOFO

suffeks said:
The 2010 Golf is sitting on the lot at a Calgary dealership for the car show next weekend.

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/f/2/e/124956/golfvifront-0.jpg?rev=0

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
TDIMOFO said:
I wouldn't exactly call the MK VI 2010 golf in this image an improvement from a design point of view.
I would not call it pretty.
Really Can't VW do better than this?
The seams between body panels look terrible as do the little sensor divots.
the grille is a step backwards.
Maybe this is a phony mockup... One can hope.
TDIMOFO
Remember that auto stylists have a tough job. If they make a car that looks good now, it will probably look dated within its production run, which seems to be about 5 years for VW. Other car makers will be introducing new cars over that next 5 years, and the Golf will soon look stale.

Most people don't get the opportunity to go to car shows. Having worked in the auto industry, I've been to the Detroit and Chicago shows a few times. In that environment, you can see how the auto stylists look at the trends that are coming out in other vehicles. If the next car comes out with 'today's' styling, it will already look old. Think of the Ford 500 for an extreme case. Not a bad looking car, but it looked too much like the Passats, which were already looking stale. So the designers have to take some risks and design a car that might not meet with general approval now, but "it'll grow on you." A fair number of cars have come out that people thought were poorly styled, but through the vehicle's production run, and as people saw more and more of them on the roads, they got used to them and they appeared better in their eyes.

Surfers have to try to anticipate and time a wave. Stylists have to do the same, and it takes some guesswork as to where the automotive styling trends are heading, and what the population (or specific target population for a vehicle) will like. Also remember that the design process starts about 4 years ahead of the actual production of the car, so when a design theme is settled on, it won't actually be on the roads for 4 more years. That's a far-out wave to try to time.

An opposite case is the 7-series Beemer with the 'backpack' trunk. There, the stylists went a bit overboard with a style that did not "grow on you." In fact, they restyled the trunk in a year or so. I have to say I like the previous generations of BMW's. They look clean and sleek. The new ones look a little too 'busy' to me. But how will they be judged in a few more years, after people have gotten used to them?

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
TDIMOFO, I was told at the Toronto Auto Show that this was a current European model and the North American model may be slightly different by the time it gets here.
Suffeks, thanks for the photo, gives me an idea of what it will look like in a Canadian winter!
Frugality, I agree, tough job.

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
Does anyone have a link to a photo of the Golf 6 Sportwagon or does it not exist yet?

Also wonder why all this new release info is being given in Canada and not US. Has VW given up on the US? Maybe they finally saw the light.

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
Well some Americans do like hatchbacks. I've been driving a hatchback since 1975. Some Americans just don't get the practicality of the HB design. Then again most don't get the advantages of the TDI.

Last edited:

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Sorry for speaking in generalities re Americans not liking hatch backs, I just wanted to say that I think this is what most auto makers are basing their decisions on and I've heard it mentioned in Canadian Automotive media.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
No, it's true -- by and large, Americans see hatchbacks as cheap and ugly. The Golf is one of the lowest sellers here, while there are oodles of Jettas sold. What's funny is that in Germany, the Jetta (Bora) is considered an 'old man's car'.

I've always loved hatchbacks. I had a '79 Rabbit, an '80 Mazda GLC (rear wheel drive, a lot like a Chevette), and an '88 Ford Festiva. I moved all of my earthly belongings to my college co-op job in that Festiva. My Golf has exactly the same hatch space as a Jetta has trunk space, but I've hauled an entire dinette set with 4 chairs in my Golf. Just try that in a Jetta.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
To be fair since I've got one of those blasted trunk cars, if you can remove the legs from the table, it's possible to get it... assuming you've got 60/40 split seats and no passengers (you may end up with a chair in your passenger seat).

A hot water heater would have been a slightly better analogy. I tried for an hour, it was simply a half inch too large in diameter to fit the opening of the trunk. Curses. Thats why I also have a Jeep.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
O.K., O.K., O.K... An antique drop-leaf dinette set that isn't taken apart. :)

Or like the 'na-na-na' VW commercial with the funky-smelling recliner.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
NarfBLAST said:
I've heard that Americans don't like hatch backs. In Canada we have always loved hatch backs.
Some Americans love hatchbacks. The others are just morons.

canoenut

TDI
Former owner of Eurovan, Jetta, and Golf TDIs
DickSilver said:
VW no doubt has a secret vice president whose job it is to mess up both marketing and production! Similar logic caused the 1990s Eurovan to never be offered with a TDI or a stick shift.
Although I agree with the dismal track record of VW marketing in North America, I was one of the few to have owned a 1994 Eurovan GLS with the TDI with a 5 speed manual! This was after a 1992 Eurovan with gas engine and manual transmission.

MunchausenDrive

Veteran Member
TDI
None... yet
Glad to see there's some new news on this GTD. I figured they were waiting for the official release of the GTI, but was suprised to find no info after the official releases came out. Still not holding my breath for it to come over here. but at least it's getting made.

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
what an original idea to change the name from Golf to Rabbit. how many millions did they pay the advertising agency for that idea. they are even called 'Bogus-ky'. As a Brit would say "Did you think of that all by yourself?"
:confused:

tiguando

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan (Hopefully)
"The car will be called the Golf again in North America," Jochen Sengpiehl, executive director of Volkswagen marketing, told us as an aside at the international GTI launch in St. Tropez, France.

Volkswagen just announced that it would be called the Golf in Canada and Rabbit in the United States. :confused:

tiguando

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan (Hopefully)
It was in the first post of this thread but the VW press release made it sound like it was only changing back to Golf in Canada, not in the US. Apparently it is changing back to Golf everywhere.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
VW revives Golf name, kills Rabbit

DIANA T. KURYLKO
AUTOMOTIVE NEWS
MARCH 25, 2009 - 4:28 PM ET

After only four model years, Volkswagen Group of America Inc. is ditching the Rabbit name and returning to the Golf moniker for its smallest model in the United States

The new generation of the car, which goes on sale in October, will be called the Golf and makes it U.S. debut at next month's New York auto show. The Golf will be a 2010 model.

The move is part of a worldwide effort to use the same name in every market for a vehicle, VW spokesman Tom Wegehaupt said today.

VW decided to revive the Rabbit name for the 2006 model year to boost sales of its entry model and waged advertising campaigns using bunnies. The decision got a lukewarm reception in the press.

VW first launched the Rabbit in 1975 and used the name until adopting the Golf name for the redesign in 1984.

Said Wegehaupt: "A lot of consumers tell us they prefer the name Rabbit, but we are moving to this name strategy. There is so much weight behind Golf -- we have sold more than 26 million in 30 years in 120 countries."

He acknowledged that returning to the Golf name won't make it easier to do advertising because VW uses market-specific rather than global campaigns.

Wegehaupt also said VW will add a diesel engine to the Golf this fall. The engine is the same one used in the Jetta -- a 2.0-liter inline four-cylinder, 50-state diesel with 140 hp.

The Golf's entry engine will be a 2.5-liter inline five-cylinder gasoline engine with 170 hp. The performance GTI, marketed in the United States as a standalone vehicle, gets a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder inline engine with 200 hp.
(end of quote)

Several years ago, I wrote that my next new car would be a 2010 Golf TDI. Now we'll see if I put my money where my mouth was.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
TornadoRed said:
Several years ago, I wrote that my next new car would be a 2010 Golf TDI. Now we'll see if I put my money where my mouth was.
+1

I've been waiting, too. The only regret will be that the mileage will probably not be as good as my ALH. That will take some getting used to. Oh, and there will be the worry about the self-destructable DMF flywheel in there...

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
frugality said:
+1

I've been waiting, too. The only regret will be that the mileage will probably not be as good as my ALH. That will take some getting used to. Oh, and there will be the worry about the self-destructable DMF flywheel in there...
I thought my '03 Golf would have over 400k miles by now, and I thought I would then pass it down to my niece who will turn 16 in December 2010. But my annual mileage has dropped from about 55k miles down to less than 10k -- so I might not be shopping for a new one after all. We'll see.

anahata

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF GLS, 4dr, silver, 5sp,
"One of these days, we are going to hear about some disgruntled VW customer blowing away a whole bunch of service advisors, mechanics, parts clerks, and an innocent customer or two at a VW dealership. Some will ask, How could such a thing happen? Others will wonder why it took so long."
LOL!