How do I make the cigarette lighter plugs stay on ALL the time instead of timing out?

How do I make the cigarette lighter plugs stay on ALL the time instead of timing out after so many minutes. My GPS keeps discharging all the time, and I can't charge my phone if I leave it in the car during lunch.

My 2001 Jetta TDI was recently totaled by another driver rear ending me. :(

I have purchased one of the few remaining Jetta TDI 06's which happens to be a manual transmission. :)

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Is this feature by design? If so, that is ridiculous.

subspd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
I want mine to stay on all the time to keep my phone charged is there a way on the 06 to do this?

SootHappens

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I removed the fuse from the accessory port, and installed a jumper wire w/ built-in fuse.

All you need is a test light or volt meter to find a unused terminal that is full-time power, then jump it to the connector for the cigarette lighter ports. Quick and easy full-time power to your accessory ports!
Fuse locations vary from car to car, otherwise I'd give exact fuse/terminal locations for the jumper.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
and DEFINITELY put in a fuse- don't just jumper power to the outlet.

SootHappens

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
yes, your local auto parts store should have the "in-line fuse holder." I'm pretty sure it won't come with the blade connectors on each end, so you'd need to purchase those crimp on connectors separately and DIY.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Mine stays on all the time, along with the radio..05.5...

FlyA320

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
on my 06.5 SE, the lighter looses power as soon as you turn the key off. Very annoying because I often want to charge my phone with the key off.

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
2005.5 stays on all the time. I think th 12V outlet in the trunk is hot all of the time as well. You could just run an extension from there.

-Mike

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
FlyA320 said:
on my 06.5 SE, the lighter looses power as soon as you turn the key off. Very annoying because I often want to charge my phone with the key off.
Ditto here too. Same problem with cell phone, GPS and rechargeable battery adaptor for my digital camera. The plug in the trunk goes dead with key off too. What were they thinking????????????????????????:mad:

airwolf

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Well if you have all those items plugged in (gps, cell phone, radar detector) and leave them plugged in over night on a very cold night, you could run the risk of not having enough battery left to start it in the morning. I know that I am being extreme, but maybe that is what they were thinking......

invader

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
SuperJ said:
Mine stays on all night from the factory, my gps and phone are always charged:D .
If some stay on with the key removed and some don't, (like mine), I wonder if this can be changed by vag-com?