If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Emissions readiness would be a challenge, at least it would be here in MA. The inspection station would be looking for gasoline engine emissions hardware and readiness, and wouldn't see it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The transmission gearing's still different - MQB doesn't mean that everything shares one transmission.

Wouldn't need to be an Alltrack to donate a transmission or rear end - could be a normal Golf 4Motion in Europe. Or, even, an Audi A3. Maybe a Passat, too.

True on gearing, the Alltrack is about 400rpms higher at 65mph than our ‘15 Passat.

It would only be money and time right?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Emissions readiness would be a challenge, at least it would be here in MA. The inspection station would be looking for gasoline engine emissions hardware and readiness, and wouldn't see it.
Sounds like something an extra $20 could solve each inspection. ;) You guys gotta keep bringing reality into my dreams, kinda a buzz kill!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Sounds like something an extra $20 could solve each inspection. ;) You guys gotta keep bringing reality into my dreams, kinda a buzz kill!
Just acting like a parent. Crush those dreams!

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Many states actually require that the car be plugged in and logged in a central database, though.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
And now we have cameras that monitor the inspection process to make sure the inspector isn't overlooking anything or providing a false pass. Big brother is watching. Makes me appreciate my 15+ year old cars that are subject to safety inspection only.

Teepke

TDI
'14 JSW & '15 GTI
Another TDI to GTI buyback'r here.

The TDI was a 2011 Golf 6MT w/60K on the clock - pretty much swapped it for a CPO 2015 GTI SE 2-door w/26K on the clock. Just $400 out of pocket OTD. Good deal. Very much dig the GTI, my god the handling... just gonna take a while to get used to the change in mpg. :eek:

-tp
PS: very glad to keep our 2014 JSW - wife claims the 'fix' made the car (shift points in dsg) better.

Last edited:

NAZ TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
I decided to do the buyback last April, right after finding the best possible replacement: an almost identical but new 2015 Jetta TDI! Went to the dealer out of curiosity right after the 2015's were 'fixed' and released for sale. They had a black on black DSG Jetta TDI like our 2011 so I made the deal on the spot-didn't even test drive it. The buyback amount with the previous $1,000 goodwill and the money from Bosch actually put me a few dollars to the good! So just had to pay the sales tax, and got a four year newer car with 95,000 fewer miles, an upgraded engine, and a better warranty. Plus I still have that wonderful TDI efficiency! Couldn't be happier! Thank you, VW!!!

panamax

TDI
2012 Passat SE Tungsten Silver
Considering the CRV route too. After complete ABS failure, AC condenser failure, a host of recalls, Leatherette seats are cracking prematurely and all this by 60k miles why should I stay VW?

Last edited:

wbclassics

TDI
No TDI - VW Bought it Back (Dec 4th 2017)
The replacement for my 2013 Jetta TDI finally arrived two weeks ago.

2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport AWD. Placed my order with the dealer in early June and then waited 5 months for the car to be built in Italy, swim to the US, and get delivered to my door from the dealer.

VW takes back the TDI on Dec 4th.

I'm looking forward to a winter where my door locks don't freeze and the doors won't latch. Or the random surprise of my intercooler freezing, even though I had the cold weather intercooler upgrade from VW. After two decades of VW ownership, I'm done. Two weeks into Alfa ownership, and it is an awesome car. I've been so used to freezing in the winter for the first 10+ minutes in my TDI, that it is a joy to have a warm engine and nice warm heat blowing within 2 miles of moving out of the driveway.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I think you're brave to buy an Alfa as a more reliable alternative to a VW. Hope it works out. I like those cars, except for the lack of a manual transmission. Big oversight, IMO.

rcough

TDI
98 Jetta; 12 Golf
Considering an eGolf to Replace 2012 Golf TDI

So I have been on the fence regarding the options: buy back or fix. And then my wife collided with a car that had run a STOP sign and banged up the front bumper on our 2012 Golf TDI with 51,000 miles (and needs new brakes). Damage estimate ~ $1,600, mostly plastic and one headlight. So, I took a test drive of the 2017 eGolf SE. Pretty nice ride. The dealers around the DC area are asking high 20s for this trim; another $4,000 for the SEL package

Our needs have changed also, e.g., not a whole lot of long commutes anymore. Daily use is less than 50 miles now. I am jumping off the fence. Will sell it back.

Trying to figure out the lease vs. buy option also. Any thoughts...

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
So I have been on the fence regarding the options: buy back or fix. And then my wife collided with a car that had run a STOP sign and banged up the front bumper on our 2012 Golf TDI with 51,000 miles (and needs new brakes). Damage estimate ~ $1,600, mostly plastic and one headlight. So, I took a test drive of the 2017 eGolf SE. Pretty nice ride. The dealers around the DC area are asking high 20s for this trim; another $4,000 for the SEL package

Our needs have changed also, e.g., not a whole lot of long commutes anymore. Daily use is less than 50 miles now. I am jumping off the fence. Will sell it back.

Normally I would buy. but a lease may make more sense for the electric. in a few years there will be more choices, and you may want to switch.

but then again, if you like the car and want to keep it ten years, there is not much to go wrong. the brakes should last longer, with the regen braking.

hmmmm

good luck

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Ended up getting a 2017 Golf Wagon with 4Motion.

Looked at the Equinox, but my wife did not like the passenger seat setup with the center console. left her too crowded.

also the Alltrack, but learned that the tires are a size of limited sources.

will be good to have the 4mo with our ski trips, and the snows and tire chains I have will fit.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Looked at the Equinox, but my wife did not like the passenger seat setup with the center console. left her too crowded.

will be good to have the 4mo with our ski trips, and the snows and tire chains I have will fit.

just like anything, tire size can very. Any tire from the GSW will fit, the speedo will just be off. I'll be rocking 205-65-16 in the winter, and may go another size up on 17 when i junk the faulkans

Either way same platform, great handling, basically an under powered R.

Last edited:

spaceguy

TDI
2013 Beetle convertible
I mostly lurk on the forum to see what issues and comments people have. I have a 2014 Beetle Premium Convertible TDI. They did not make many in the Summer of 2014. I am one of the "difficult" cases as I moved overseas to work for the military, and shipped my TDI. VW has failed for many of us in this situation. I must ship the car back to the US to turn it in, but then VW wants me to give someone a power of attorney to do this, and will not pay for me to be there.

Anyway, I wanted another convertible. Nothing quite compared to the Beetle TDI. I looked at available convertibles. I wanted something with a soft top so as to preserve trunk space, heated and if possible cooled seating, and a back seat, although I realize most people would not be comfortable for a long trip in any convertible back seat. I ended up getting a 2012 BMW 650i with a manual transmission. It also has a heads-up display, and super great seats. While it is very nice, the trade off is of course, it is no where close to the MPG as my Beetle. Two different types of cars, I know.

I plan to return to the US in the Spring, and send my TDI back. I had not had VWs for 25 years. At my age, I will never have another.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Self maintenance is not an option for condo owner such as myself. People constantly forget that not everybody lives in a single family home with a garage. I have an assigned spot in an underground garage - if I attempted a simple oil change there, I would be stopped and fined as per building rules. Third party garage could do the DSG service but with labor rates where I live, it frankly wouldn't be all that much cheaper than the dealer. It's reality.
Autozone parking lot lol

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL

Nice choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
an eGolf (or electric anything, besides Tesla)... buy used!
Their value drops like a rock. You can get something for like a 50% discount with CPO warranty and low miles.

my $.02

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Autozone parking lot lol
There is one locally in North Carolina that has an ordinance that prevents the working on cars in the parking lot in front of the auto parts stores.

The manager of the store said, that location is the only Autozone store that is not allowed to work on the cars (replace batteries, wiper blades, nothing).

You can drive a mile or two down the road out of the town, to another AutoZone/Advance Auto and get work done.

norcorider

TDI
2013 Passat TDI (Buyback completed Dec 21st)
The replacement for my 2013 Jetta TDI finally arrived two weeks ago.
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport AWD. Placed my order with the dealer in early June and then waited 5 months for the car to be built in Italy, swim to the US, and get delivered to my door from the dealer.
VW takes back the TDI on Dec 4th.
I'm looking forward to a winter where my door locks don't freeze and the doors won't latch. Or the random surprise of my intercooler freezing, even though I had the cold weather intercooler upgrade from VW. After two decades of VW ownership, I'm done. Two weeks into Alfa ownership, and it is an awesome car. I've been so used to freezing in the winter for the first 10+ minutes in my TDI, that it is a joy to have a warm engine and nice warm heat blowing within 2 miles of moving out of the driveway.
Buying an Alfa Romeo because VW wasn't reliable, is a ..... great idea :D. good Luck!

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
My wife's liking the A3 well enough, but misses the pep from her Mustang. Considering selling it back next year and replacing it with a CPO S3.

Dr Chill

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 A8L TDI
My wife's liking the A3 well enough, but misses the pep from her Mustang. Considering selling it back next year and replacing it with a CPO S3.
My thoughts exactly. On the outside chance that they buyback my A8L, then my replacement will be a GT3 and an S3 for DD. If there's a fix which is much more likely, then I'll drive the A8L for 100,000+ miles. I love this 3.0 TDI, as I'm sure you do, Dan.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I love this 3.0 TDI, as I'm sure you do, Dan.
Agreed. I hope the fix doesn't change my mind (or, if it does, that a tune changes it back). Though I sure wouldn't complain about a buyback either, not at the price they'd need to pay.

Kitcat

TDI
2013 Jetta, 2005 Passat
Yeah I was thinking the same thing.
Seems most people replying here are not looking to purchase a car with similar fuel economy?
Looks like they are not looking for fuel economy, until gas/diesel prices go back to $4+/gallon.

turborod

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Sport Wagon
85k on my 328 D Xdrive now. No hassles so far. Haven’t done the maintenance on the tranny yet. Always use the propel diesel here in SoCal. Oil Changes regularly at 7500-8000 miles to extend the sequential dual turbos,Original brakes. Haha. $56k new, lease return after a year $47k, waited a month nreduced to $37k. $10 k VW buyback. Final price $27k
Only made 15k per year

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
85k on my 328 D Xdrive now. No hassles so far. Haven’t done the maintenance on the tranny yet. Always use the propel diesel here in SoCal. Oil Changes regularly at 7500-8000 miles to extend the sequential dual turbos,Original brakes. Haha. $56k new, lease return after a year $47k, waited a month nreduced to $37k. $10 k VW buyback. Final price $27k
Only made 15k per year
328D is a single turbo, it does have 2 exhaust paths (twin scroll) to the turbo to help keep the turbo spooled up

wbclassics

TDI
No TDI - VW Bought it Back (Dec 4th 2017)
Buying an Alfa Romeo because VW wasn't reliable, is a ..... great idea :D. good Luck!
I don't expect the Alfa to be problem free, but I doubt it will be as headache prone as my TDI was.

I can assure you that my time with the Alfa won't end in a court mandated buyback. My VW buyback turn-in is tomorrow at 9:30AM.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
328D is a single turbo, it does have 2 exhaust paths (twin scroll) to the turbo to help keep the turbo spooled up
BTW its "sequential dual turbos", so as I count, that's 4 turbos, no wonder the BMWs fly!!!!! :D