Replacing front parklight bulb experience

studebaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta pk 1
Re-writing this now that I have had the unpleasant experience of changing out the parking light bulbs.
After pulling the rubber covers off in order to get to the bulbs, I had to use a light and mirror to actually see the parking light wire/bulb location. I could see some wire that had the insulation fraying off the wire. I tried to gently pull the wire/bulb out and not go. Pulled hard enough that I thought Id break something. Finally wound up pulling the front bumper cover off so I could pull the light assemblies out just to remove and install new bulbs. When I placed them on the table and took a look with good light, it looked like the wiring was 50 years old. The insulation was cracking and fraying. I don't see a way short of cutting the light assembly up, to redo the wiring so I ordered two Hella headlight assemblies to put back in. Don't see a way to add picture from my camera. (These are the stock VW headlights that came with the car new)
ok, just added picture, not very good but I think you can see the wiring.

Last edited:

studebaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta pk 1
James, if the wires had been ok, if you can get some pliers on the plastic part and give a slight twist, they will come out. Problem is getting the pliers in to that space. Mine would have needed to come out anyway, due to the condition of the wires.

Last edited:

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
I had a similar experience today, so I am reviving an old thread rather then start a new one.
I had an intermittent bulb outage. The buld itself is fine, but the wires are not. I am assuming the wires would short once and a while and cause the "Front Right Parking Light" notice to illuminate. It's odd that the fuse didn't blow...

It seems like this is a fairly common problem with the VW's. I read about some people using "Liquid Electrical Tape, so I am going to give that a shot and hope for the best.

FYI, If you have human sized hands, removing the Fuel Filter gives you much better access to remove/replace the light. Even then, getting your fingers around the base of the bulb holder and turning it is NOT easy.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
I used the liquid electrical tape, and although it should be okay for a while, the insulation is in really bad shape and has splits/cracks everywhere.
Does anyone have a PN or a link to replace the headlight harness?

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
I am still looking but can't find the bulb harness for sale.
New lights seem to come with a new bulb holder (which comes with a pigtail). Does the pigtail have pins on it that go into a connector or do you have to cut/splice the new holder in place?

Diesel Larry

TDI
'09 Jetta
Had to replace my little bulb (driver's side, with less room of course) the other day, and had insulation falling off as well. They sell a replacement piece*, but I don't know what it goes to, nor how to get it there. Parts guy seems to think the wires aren't that long... maybe 6 inches.
Are there other wires on this car, where the insultation is substandard and falling off? I also noticed the protective rubber around the trunk lid wiring harness has almost completely disintegrated, exposing half a dozen wires.
I'm guessing I ought to figure out how to remove the headlight, and go from there - Sound right?

* VW part# 000-998-953