Which AMSOIL?

• Total voters

AndyH

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'97 Passat Wagon 410K RIP
Tisey06 said:
Hi Andy H

So that means I can't use the D.G filter in conjunction with the HDD-5w30 or the AMO 10W-40? What brand are these oils? sorry about the questioning but I am new and I am learning, thanks for all your replies
Sorry Tisey - yes - you can use the bypass with any oil you care to run! No trouble there at all. Even if you don't extend the oil change interval, the oil will be clean!

The HDD and AMO are product codes for AMSOIL 5W-30 heavy duty diesel oil (HDD) and for their 10W-40 premium protection motor oil (AMO). They are both CI-4+ long-drain oils.

Delvac 1 and any of the other synthetic CI-4+ diesel oils are good long-drain selections as well.

Andy

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
AndyH said:
Sorry, WJ and mparker - I could have communicated that better.

WJ - I think your wear numbers with any of the Gen 2 505.01 oils will be very similar once you've gotten to the 2nd and subsequent oil change with that oil. I trust Ted's view that these products are more alike than different. That seemed to be the case with the Gen 1 products as well.
I agree 505.01 oil are similar - I bet it does not take two changes to get AFL to perform optium, even when switching from GRP III/IV 505.01 to AFL GRP IV. I will be switching to AFL in 20 hours. I will send out my second UOA on Motul specfic on the 21st, the first was very good and I expect similar for the second. So the end of June we will see my first AFL UOA. I have two very favorable Motul UOA's . So AFL has its work cut out, I should be less than 20 Fe 3.5 per/k.

tdijerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2000/ beetle/sliver
amsoil

from what i see and understand from this forum amsoil is one of the best or better oil's out their in the market ? can some one give me some feed back on this queston ?:confused:

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Amsoil is a very good oil - but the gap has closed over the last twenty years. There are many good oils, Mobil, Shell, Redline, Schaeffers, are domestic. There are also some good imports. You are pre PD and Amsoil DEO is a excellent 10k oil, priced very well.

Staley

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
82 Rabbit TD / 00 Golf RC3!
I use amsoil at my shop... and in my personal cars as well..
however my favorite saying is "as long as there is oil in the engine.. that is a good thing" haah

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
I've used Amsoil in my cars for many years. Even before I got my TDI Beetle. I just switched it over to Amsoil DEO about a month ago and it seems to run a lot smoother than the oil that was in it when I bought it last fall. My next fluid switch that I'm planning is to Amsoil ATF in the auto tranny when I can get some time to do so. Just my thoughts about it.

MYLittleTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Galactic Blue
wjdell said:
Amsoil is a very good oil - but the gap has closed over the last twenty years. There are many good oils, Mobil, Shell, Redline, Schaeffers, are domestic. There are also some good imports. You are pre PD and Amsoil DEO is a excellent 10k oil, priced very well.
AmsOil is domestic also and has been for 35 years. I have been using it for 28+ years, in extreme cold and extreme heat. You can't go worng. I have been using the Series 3000 5w-30 in my TDI since 5,000 miles on odometer.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
MYLittleTDI said:
AmsOil is domestic also and has been for 35 years. I have been using it for 28+ years, in extreme cold and extreme heat. You can't go worng. I have been using the Series 3000 5w-30 in my TDI since 5,000 miles on odometer.

really - I was selling the stuff in 1977 :)

its because i did not list twice - :)

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
And I dare say that Amsoil has led the way in synthetic oil development in North America. And thanks to their distributors, it has become easier to come by. Even seeing storefronts today!

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
I actually know of three different auto parts stores close to me that sell Amsoil. What's even more amazing is that they are all in the same town.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I actually saw Amsoil being sold at the local Murray's a while back along with Redline. This was gasser oil though and the price was high AFAIR.
The Chicago Amsoil distributor is not far from where I live in the NW burbs.
JB

Kier

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Limited Diesel Edition, DSG, Reflex Silver/Anthracite
Amsoil DEO & ALH 1.9L Engines

I just noticed on the Amsoil web site that the 5W-40 DEO is no longer recommended for the 2003 and earlier (non PD) TDI's. They are now only recommending the Euro Formula 5W-40. I submitted an inquiry to Amsoil. Their reply stated "not recommended". I suppose following VW's 505.00 recommendation is the best way to go. It seems like some of these lubricants are built up initially, then after running in the real world, they are retracted.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you have a older motor that requires a C? rating it would be fine to use the new DEO.

AndyH

TDI
Kier's right. DEO is still recommended for 1997, but not newer model years. That doesn't make sense. I sent a discrepancy report and will pass-on the results.

Andy

AndyH

TDI
I received 'an' answer today...

"In response to your inquiry, thank you for your input. To avoid
confusion and possible misapplication, we will continue recommending
only the AFL, as it is required for newer models. The DEO and many other
choices are OK to use in these older VW's however."

snappy1

amsoil 5w40

is amsoil european car formila 5w40 ok for my 2004 jetta 1.9tdi type bew ? it is recommended for vw 505.01.

SuburbanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle TDI, and two Jetta TDI
snappy1 said:
is amsoil european car formila 5w40 ok for my 2004 jetta 1.9tdi type bew ? it is recommended for vw 505.01.
No, it is not OK. It is not a certified VW505.01 oil and it's use may void the VW warranty.

That's the answer.

And here's some more search results showing the many, many posts on this topic, a topic that's been beaten near to death:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/search.php?searchid=1280128

AndyH

TDI
snappy1 said:
Yes it is. It was the first oil available formulated and tested VW's 2nd generation 505.01 spec. This oil is sold in VW dealerships and independent shops, has been running in PDs since it's inception, and is fully covered by both your VW warranty and AMSOIL's warranty.

Andy

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
AndyH said:
This oil is sold in VW dealerships and independent shops, has been running in PDs since it's inception
really? that's the first i've heard of it. of all the countless amsoil/afl/pd/505.01 oil threads, i never recall you mentioning this little tidbit.... :confused:

SuburbanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle TDI, and two Jetta TDI
burpod said:
really? that's the first i've heard of it. of all the countless amsoil/afl/pd/505.01 oil threads, i never recall you mentioning this little tidbit.... :confused:
He did, and it was almost complete BS. A lie wrapped around a small nut of truth - there was a VW dealer that sold Amsoil, AndyH just took that and made up the rest of the story:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=1225146&postcount=21

AndyH said:
I know of a number of VW dealers ... using AMSOIL exclusively

Andy
Could you post the name of one?

AndyH said:
I have in the past 2 weeks -- break out those awesome search skilz! :)
OK, I was able to dig it up:

AndyH said:
Autohaus South VW in Orchard Park NY a call. (716) 662-5500.
Found it tucked into a little Amsoil warranty debate you had with Sunrg back there, interesting to see you were also got him to engage in "private messages" to limit open debate and public knowledge about the loss of VW warranty from using non-505.01 oil in the PD TDI VW.

So I called Autohaus South VW in Orchard Park, NY and spoke to the parts department. They do carry AMSOIL.

1. It is not "using AMSOIL exclusively".
2. They sell Castrol VW505.01 for the PD engine.
3. They state that using AMSOIL for the PD engine will void the warranty.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
lol, thanks for digging that up SuburbanTDI - obviously i wasn't paying close enough attention ;) didn't think any VW dealer would recommend (or even stock) amsoil for a PD. as far as i know, in the US they almost exclusively use castrol TXT, and i think i've read a few here and there carry motul/elf 505.01 ... unless that was a candian dealership that i saw mentioned in a thread somewhere...

Skymedic

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I am using ALF with all the trust in it. I am doing this on a 10k PD motor too. I think all will be ok.

Skymedic

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
No. I used TXT at 5k and switched to AFL on this last change. I have 10800 miles on odo currently. I screwed up big time on the UOA. I had a kit from Polaris and had every intention of grabbing a sample of the TXT. I had worked some killer overtime hours and was in a mad rush to the dealer on the day of the oil change and totally left the sample bottle in the kitchen. I will do a sample on the AFL at 15k and at the change at 20k. I drive a lot so the 5k should come soon.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
This is intriguing to me as I'm currently running DEO in my car. Maybe I should switch over to the AFL on my next oil change? I don't know what was in the engine when I got it from the dealer, but this is the first batch of oil that I put in the car.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Stay with DEO - do some UOA's, I have to use AFL, would have preferred to try DEO. My coldest start this past winter was ounce 48 F and the rest 54 F and above. Compare the specs and then your UOA's if you switch to AFL and you will find the DEO is abetter oil for wear numbers. A 2002 there must be a dozen good oils available to you. Besides Amsoil Mobil, Shell, Redline, Schaeffers, and more.