Which posts to supply to power in-tank fuel pump

dgoldsmith

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta sedan, "stick," with in-dash 6-CD changer, Sat., & AUX jack in glovebox that I'm no longer trying to figure out how to use, thanks to slamhouse! :-)))
Hi! To directly test my in-tank fuel pump, i.e., to make sure that it's not a power delivery circuit problem, I've been counseled to supply battery, i.e., 12VDC, power directly to the pump, but I'm having a helluva time trying to find out precisely which two, of the five, plate-posts to supply the voltage to for this purpose (the person who counseled me to do this seems either unable or unwilling to tell me). So, the pump's power supply receptacle has five plate-posts in a line: two wide ones at either end of the line, and three narrower ones in between them; the two ends of the line can be distinguished by the fact that one side of the plug has a semicircular side, the other has a linear side. Can anyone please tell me precisely which two, of the five, plate-posts I need to supply the voltage difference across in order to directly test the pump? Thanks!

PS: the person who counseled me seems to have thought that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hTNWo3E4nE

would have answered this question, but he either didn't watch the video, or he doesn't understand the question, because it doesn't come close to answering the question, so please don't reply by referring me to that video (or any other secondary resource you haven't personally confirmed answers the question: posting such a non-answer just clutters this Website with unhelpful information; if you don't know the answer, please, just don't chime in).

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
Polarity doesn’t matter with the pump
Jump the two outer ( thicker wires) to see if the pump runs.

Another good test is to scope the pump and check for abnormal waveforms. This is a great method for checking the health of the pump

These forums are free to use and you are not paying for help so lighten up a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dgoldsmith

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta sedan, "stick," with in-dash 6-CD changer, Sat., & AUX jack in glovebox that I'm no longer trying to figure out how to use, thanks to slamhouse! :-)))
Polarity doesn’t matter with the pump
Jump the two outer ( thicker wires) to see if the pump runs.
I already have the plug out of the receptacle, so "jumping wires" doesn't mean anything to me (nor is it clear to me how I would do that anyway: by splicing the wires? I certainly don't want to do that). Do you mean/is this equivalent to supplying the two wider posts?
Another good test is to scope the pump and check for abnormal waveforms. This is a great method for checking the health of the pump
Thanks for the advice, but I'm an unemployed, poor, amatuer DIY-er (because I can't afford a mechanic; why do you think I'm using a free site to try to get my questions answered?): I don't have a 'scope (I barely have sufficient tools)!

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
Sorry my post wasn’t clear. If you look at the fuel pump connector you will see two large wires(outer). One will be your ground, the other will be your feed wire

With the connector unplugged, using the above info above, jump the pump with a 12v source at the two outer pins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dgoldsmith

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks! But polarity doesn't matter, right?