BV39 Turbo (BRM) on a BEW

Edle Sieben

TDI
'05 Golf GLS
I'm in a tough spot with my BEW Golf daily. The turbo has failed and I need to replace it.

I have an ALH and BRM laying around and want to know if the BRM's turbo will plug and play with the BEW. Worst case, will the ALH turbo work? This is just a bandaid fix for the moment as I'm looking into bigger turbos soon but I'm waiting til I can afford it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

'05 Golf TDI, BEW

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
The ALH idoesn't have the smart actuator so you'll get a code for that (can be addresed with a tune). EGR hooks up differently as well as the outlet hose from the turbo (BEW clipped, ALH clamped).

I can't say on the BRM - haven't seen anyone try it. Too bad you aren't closer - I have a BEW turbo installed on my ALH beetle that I'd trade.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Neither will be work. The BRM is completely totally different. The ALH *could* be made to work with some other modifications which would end up being more of a headache and cost than just buying a new BEW turbo. You may be able to find a used one somewhere.

Edle Sieben

TDI
'05 Golf GLS
Too bad you aren't closer - I have a BEW turbo installed on my ALH beetle that I'd trade.
Well I do have another BEW turbo but I'm avoiding taking it because it is on a running car, but it may be coming off if what Oilhammer said is true. It's just my absolute fallback since the car is in a grey area of use.

'05 Golf TDI, BEW

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
alh turbo actually works pretty well.. you need a tune to delete the vane position sensor and the vnt15 turbo outlet hose... running a vnt15 on my 05 golf BEW right now

Edle Sieben

TDI
'05 Golf GLS
alh turbo actually works pretty well.. you need a tune to delete the vane position sensor and the vnt15 turbo outlet hose... running a vnt15 on my 05 golf BEW right now
That's good to hear. Would you happen to know where you got the tune from? @jimbote

'05 Golf TDI, BEW

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Well I do have another BEW turbo but I'm avoiding taking it because it is on a running car, but it may be coming off if what Oilhammer said is true. It's just my absolute fallback since the car is in a grey area of use.

'05 Golf TDI, BEW
Grey area of use??

With a few gaskets and labor it could be removed & swapped.
Would buy you time to find a used turbo to save costs or save for a new one.
Don't know how much a tune and the outlet tube would cost.
Something to think about.

What is wrong with turbo?

Edle Sieben

TDI
'05 Golf GLS
2 of the most popular are Rocketchip and Malone Tuning.
Thanks. I'll try and see if there's something that fits my case.

wonneber said:
Grey area of use??
Yes, the car isn't mine, and while it doesn't get used much at all, I'd like to avoid stealing stuff from it if I can, but I'm leaning more and more towards it just for time's sake.

I hadn't thought of a used turbo but is that really a good idea with the KP39? I'm fairly certain my actuator took a dump and I'd hate to invest any kind of money into another one only for it to have the same issue.

For context, I was going down the road, and either my vacuum line disconnected, or had been disconnected, and as a result, the turbo stopped working. I got an O2 sensor code and the inlet side of the turbo had no suction when the car was running, and the car would choke itself to death a few seconds after startup. I could remove the hoses from to turbo to the IC and motor, and have a loud, slow, (non-T)DI but I really don't want to drive the car around like that since it's my only option at the moment.

That being said, TDIinTexas was with me, and diagnosed it as the turbo was borked, and is willing to help me swap out for one of his already available VNT15's or a GV39. The KP39 in the car is still an option but we'd like to avoid it if possible.

'05 Golf TDI, BEW