2014 Passat with DSG

jbleu101

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDi, GLS
Hello all,
After 275,000+ miles on my MKIV Jetta with all the bells and whistles I wanted, I finally think I'm going to have to let her go. The rear axle came loose from the frame and I think the car is simply shot. Had lots of mods. It's a 5 speed.

Thinking about buying a TDI from a dealer that has less than 50K Miles on it, has all the options I'd like to have, except real leather vs fake leather. And it's in my budget. So I come on here and it seems it's all over the place, with 15's being better cars to buy. Or that it should be made a CPO car so you can get a better warranty. I surmise the car, despite the mileage is not eligible for CPO due to age. So then the question becomes about the warranty on the emissions issues......It seems I will have about 70K miles on the warranty?

How long do the DSG's last? I'd like to put 300K on this car, which would occur in about 12 years. Are they super hard to work on? Do they need to go to the dealer for every little thing?

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
CPO for TDIs goes back to 2012 and gas is 2013.

I love my 2014 tdi sel premium. I bought mine at 50,000 miles. Emissions warranty is until 10 years 3 months from original delivery date or 123,000 miles.

03 shaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL
I'll give my 2 cents on why I went with a 2015. Emissions warranty is 11 years or 162K miles (I think), and for the DSG cars, a 2015 has a taller 6th gear than earlier years. Runs like 300-400 rpm lower at 70 than a 2012-2014 Passat DSG.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
gearing of the '15 is pretty darn nice if you spend lots of time on the highway, I feel it helps MPG difference between DSG and 6MT as well.

jbleu101

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDi, GLS
FWIW I had a taller 5th in my 03 and loved it, unfortunately, I have my eye on an otherwise perfect car. I guess I should say pretty much....it has light interior that is not my favorite, but I want to try to keep this car super clean anyway, and it is not manual transmission, but going from Jetta to Passat seems like a good upgrade.
I'd like to find taillights that have amber turns....I think that should be standard on all cars. And I'd love to have LED or at least HID headlights, as I think the Passat front would look pretty sharp with a better set of headlights. I don't buy cheap junk, so it will be a good set, if there are any. If not, I would be content with LED bulbs in the halogen housing. But the main thing is getting 200K out of the car with 50K on it.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
For the DSG, I've seen A5 Jettas with them and the PD engine over 300k miles. My '14 Passat has 91k with DSG and don't feel like it would have a problem getting to 300k, with a couple of DPFs between now and then.

Finding the lights you want for the NMS Passat could be difficult, not impossible thought. Look to the Chinese market.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
My 2014 Passat SEL w/DSG has 188k miles, no issues >> target 350k. I change the fluid every 40k and use VW fluid. As for the lights I couldn't justify the increased cost to upgrade either end. Up front I put higher wattage bulbs and raised the adjustment slightly. Try https://store.candlepower.com/. Good luck, John

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
IMHO, the difference in gearing between the 2012-2014 and 2015 models is not significant from the driver or wallet perspective; both are fantastically economical on the highway and my 2013 cruising at 55-75 mph is in a sweet spot on the torque curve with great passing power. If I was in the market for one of these cars I would look for one in the best cosmetic condition with lowest miles, and documented service history, regardless of year. I do all my own routine maintenance and will be doing my first DSG service myself if andwhen I reach 40,000 miles.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I also noticed significant DGS tuning between our 12 and 15, but that might be up to the 15 having phase 1 since day on and our 12 wasn't fixed. The 15 has crazy fast shifts, must be a way to accommodate the stupid tall 1st and 2nd.

Agreed the gearing isn't mind blowing but 2K at 75mph just makes the car seem more relaxed, and the FE numbers between the two are spitting close, but the 15 does seem to edge it out even after phase 2 fix.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
really havent heard many issues with dsg, just change fluid and go...

the deauto led have been really great and way less finicky than the hid were (i was donated some and still went back to the led)

Sinner

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I have a 2014 with 120k. My local dealer has European mechanics that learned diesels in Germany, and always treat my baby right.
The only problem I has was the “fix”: now is very difficult to even get 730 miles in one tank when before 800 miles was pretty easy.
really havent heard many issues with dsg, just change fluid and go...
the deauto led have been really great and way less finicky than the hid were (i was donated some and still went back to the led)
What’s this deauto led you talk about? I might be interested.

Last edited: