DIY Brake Fluid Flush

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
isnt there a brake bleeding program in vcds where it applie the brakes while you bleed? please correct me if im wrong.

jhs

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
Yes, there is that ABS pump test cycle with the VCDS, but it's just (optional?) part of the procedure.

I will be flushing soon too and I'd like to find out how mandatory is it and if there is a way to do the brake fluid flush w/o bothering with VCDS (still to buy one).
And if it is to be done, where in the sequence (clutch,FL,FR,RL,RR) is to be included? Probably dumb question but... first-timer.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I made my own "power bleeder/flusher" similar to the power motive. It worked okay, I had to buy a replacement cap that fit a GM and drill out and put a barb. All in all i think I saved $20 over a motive power bleeder.

VCDS was not needed to flush the system, my understanding is you only need VCDS if the ABS pump runs dry.

I did the clutch first, RF, LF, LR then RR. It took me a good two hours, I only had one jack, a lift would have cut down the time quite a bit.

DZL_Damon

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Loyal Edition
Most brake lines around here rust from the outside WAY before internal issues come into play...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
It also keeps the calipers from getting to nasty as well. The fluid had a few chunks at each corner. The clutch fluid was milky white/yellow for the first 10" of the 1/4" drain tube I used.

mjwhoopie

TDI
'06 Jetta, Black, 5 Spd
I bought a "Motive Products" bleeder kit and catch bottles from Summit Racing. They worked GREAT!! Made it an EASY 1 man job.