Help! Can't get 02J right seal flange out

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
My 03 Jetta 5-speed had a leak at the right drive axle where it exits the diff. I needed to change the right axle anyway, so I went ahead and removed the drive flange/stub axle in order to change the seal.

The seal on the right has an attached metal seal flange - Google part # 02J409528A for photos to see what I mean. I got the replacement seal from idparts.

I used a seal puller to remove the seal/flange assembly, but to my surprise, the seal popped loose from the seal flange, and now I can't figure out how to get the metal flange itself out. I've tried prying it with a prybar, but there are not many decent fulcrum points. The seal puller is no use, as there is nothing on the inside of the flange for the seal puller to hook onto.

I thought about removing just the seal from the new flange/seal assembly, but I suspect I would damage the seal getting it out. Besides, the seal and flange are intended to be replaced as a unit.

I'm stuck until I can figure this out. I would appreciate any tips or tool pointers.

Thanks!

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
If you haven’t damaged the alloy flange I would just press in the new seal into it.
Problem is your prolly going to damage the new seal removing it.

I usually just replace the seals in these units. The only time I replace the alloy flange is if it’s bent or warped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
If you haven’t damaged the alloy flange I would just press in the new seal into it.
Problem is your prolly going to damage the new seal removing it.

I usually just replace the seals in these units. The only time I replace the alloy flange is if it’s bent or warped

Certainly a possibility, but VW parts are closed on Sunday. I can try to match it to National etc,, but I would hate to install the wrong seal and have to go through all this again.

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
Certainly a possibility, but VW parts are closed on Sunday. I can try to match it to National etc,, but I would hate to install the wrong seal and have to go through all this again.

Grab a large flat blade screwdriver and punch a hole into the old flange and pry it inwards. Do this on a few spots and the flange will pop right out.

Try not to knick the case while doing this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I would clamp vice grips on the flange and pry against the grips.
Punching the flange in a bit (mentioned above) may help also.

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
I would clamp vice grips on the flange and pry against the grips.
Punching the flange in a bit (mentioned above) may help also.
Thanks, good idea.

I just called all my local auto parts stores (NAPA, O'Reilly, Advance Auto, and AutoZone looking for the seal alone:

• VW: 084409189B (084 409 189 B)
  • Corteco: 12015555B
None had it in stock, but most could get it in a day or two. So I guess I will start working on getting the flange out.

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, got the flange out using a small chisel (Craftsman 42973) and a 3# sledge. I don't think I caused any damage to the aluminum housing. I have a photo, but I'm getting an error trying to upload it. I'll try again later.

Thanks again to mr.loops and wanneber for your help.