Motor Mount Recommendations?

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
Hi,

I’m in the process of determining which direction to go with my motor mount selection. I have a mk3 Jetta with the AHU and the engine mounts are shot.

I’m looking to do a suspension refresh to tighten up the car and part of that will include addressing those mounts. Does anyone have a recommendation for a lightly tuned car that still needs to be comfortable enough to daily?

I was looking at either just getting new OEM mounts, but the BFI stealth and stage 0.5 kits are also compelling if they can help the car’s responsiveness. I was also considering their motor mount spacers for the sake of peace of mind.

Curious to hear your thoughts.

rcollierf350

TDI
2012 VW Jetta TDi, 1998 VW Jetta TDi
Really nobody has posted anything,
I am looking at doing the same thing through ECS.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
solid stage 2.0 from blackforest is amazing
Prothane bushings are epic as long as you bathe them in grease before you instll, i have never heard even one squeak from my set. a bit tricky to install but worth it.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Why would you want stiff motor mounts that will transmit all the vibrations to the chassis?

Go hydraulic if they’re still available. Do not if they’re aftermarket. CascadeGerman sold the last few sets I bought but if they say they’re NLA, see what they recommend.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Ditto, do not go down the road of thinking that stiffer mounts will make the ride better. The whole point of flexible mounts is to isolate the vibrations of the engine from the chassis it's attached to.

Cascade German has some good replacements but IIRC you need to call them to get the best ones. There are lots of mounts out there but some are just not as well mannered as the OE variety. Aftermarket mounts tend to be less specific and more general in fit, i.e. they'll make a single mount for the 2.0L gas engine and the 1.9L TDI when the factory specified two different mounts.

How many miles on the mounts you have now?

Steve

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
To be honest, those 2.0 yellow from blackforeat is almost as soft as the OEM. A tad more firm. I like the solid trans mount but if I could have found the OEM on it I would have.

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
For the record, since I originally posted this I have settled on a solution I am happy with. The BFI Stealth mounts are too stiff when used all-around. I would only recommend their front mount. I am using the Stealth front mount, a Febi hydraulic mount for the engine side, and the solid rubber mount for the transmission mount. Engine vibrations are well controlled with this setup, but I wouldn’t call it OEM smooth.

Do NOT use a solid mount of any kind on the rear passenger mount, you will be sorry. It will feel like a jackhammer on your firewall.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My mistake, I meant to say the .5, Not the 2.0. the yellow ones right? yea, there great.

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
My mistake, I meant to say the .5, Not the 2.0. the yellow ones right? yea, there great.
Actually, I wasn’t using the 0.5, I was referring to the Stealth mounts, which are like Stage 0.25. I’m sure the yellow 0.5s are fine for gassers and the Mk4 TDIs, but I wouldn’t run them in a Mk3 TDI. The mount system is a bit primitive on these cars.