How To: Aftermarket Clear Fuel Lines

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
The tygothane has become a bit yellowish over time, but remains as elastic and flexible as it was new. It doesn't appear to have degraded.

I bought some Tygothane lines based on your experience over a month ago for my Cat filter setup. I haven't installed them and they have yellowed a little just sitting on the shelf in a bag. no worries, just an observation:)

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
I bought some Tygothane lines based on your experience over a month ago for my Cat filter setup. I haven't installed them and they have yellowed a little just sitting on the shelf in a bag. no worries, just an observation:)
That's odd because the line I have left over is still clear. I live in a milder climate though...

garybeck

TDI
2012 Sportwagen
I am interested in replacing my fuel lines with the clear line so I can see my fuel better.

however the hose I got from my local motorcycle shop is fairly thin walled, does not have the braided reinforcement in it, and I think that over time the vacuum pressure from the IP pump could make this stuff collapse.

does anyone know where to get clear fuel line that is a little better than what they stock in the motorcycle shop? Ideally we are looking for

--thicker walls w/braided reinforcment
--5/16" I.D.
--rated for solvents such as fuel
--rated for high temperature
--some really good hose clamps that match would be great

i know i've seen this before online but I can't find anything like it now. anyone know where?

this might be one possibility
http://www.motorcyclepartsmegastore...ium=shopping&gclid=CNuhupa7-bsCFclQOgodeH8Aww

thanks

Last edited:

slam

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI B4V Wagon
Hey Gary. Two years later my motorcycle shop polyurathane lines are still going strong. And that's after an extended trip through a couple of hot deserts and a freezing winter in NYC. The only repair I had to make was tightening one clamp last month that was allowing an air leak. I've had no issues with bent lines or the ip pump collapsing the tube. It feels pretty stiff.

I bought the tygothane tubes, too, but I've never bothered to install them.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
I've been using the Helix brand from a local motorcycle chain store, "Ride Now". No issues over 5 years I've been running these clear fuel lines.

Tony
Sent from my e-diesel fleet

AnnaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf 5-spd [BEW]
however the hose I got from my local motorcycle shop is fairly thin walled, does not have the braided reinforcement in it, and I think that over time the vacuum pressure from the IP pump could make this stuff collapse.

does anyone know where to get clear fuel line that is a little better than what they stock in the motorcycle shop? Ideally we are looking for

--thicker walls w/braided reinforcment
--5/16" I.D.
--rated for solvents such as fuel
--rated for high temperature
--some really good hose clamps that match would be great

i know I'm digging up a pretty old post here, but I'm doing a clear lines conversion, i ordered tygothane clear tubing from mcmaster-carr, PN 5549K35 with 5/16" ID, but upon receiving it, it seemed REALLY thin walled to me. it specs 1/16" wall thickness now that i look it up. is this too thin?? on top of this, i have a PD, so there's actually a slight pressure applied on the tubing, (but no tube between IPs, cause i don't have any)..

trying to understand how much wall-thickness should be considered... any suggestions?

slam

Veteran Member
TDI
I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Almost three years later my motorcycle shop tubing is still going strong. No weeping, still pliant but not soft, appears to have no chance of collapse either.

I still have the more expensive special tygothane blend polyurethane tubing under the seats as a backup, but I have not needed it. The tygothane and the motorcycle shop tubing seem about the same wall width. I would expect it to perform about the same or better.

What is a PD?

I think the pressure in these tubes is minimal. Without a lifter pump the IP will be drawing on the tubes but it's not much. With a lifter pump (and on the return line) there's a slight positive pressure but again it's pretty low.

BTW, I also have to mention that in my setup the bendy metal fuel lines are missing thanks to the previous owner. So I am running motorcycle shop tubing between the filter and the metal lines under the car, and also from the filter half way across the motor to the IP. That's about two feet of tubing there and back. Still no issues.

If all your lines are pressurized you can buy some steel braid to wrap them in. Aside from looking cool and protecting from abrasions, I don't think it will serve much function. There's just not that much pressure before the IP.

i know I'm digging up a pretty old post here, but I'm doing a clear lines conversion, i ordered tygothane clear tubing from mcmaster-carr, PN 5549K35 with 5/16" ID, but upon receiving it, it seemed REALLY thin walled to me. it specs 1/16" wall thickness now that i look it up. is this too thin?? on top of this, i have a PD, so there's actually a slight pressure applied on the tubing, (but no tube between IPs, cause i don't have any)..

trying to understand how much wall-thickness should be considered... any suggestions?

Last edited:

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Anna,
I don't know the line pressure from the in tank pump on a PD.
It would be easy enough for you to use the clear line and 't' a pressure gauge into the supply line.
If it's over 20 psi or so, I would stay with conventional fuel line.

Tony

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Slam,
PD is short for pump-deuse: the unit injector used on late '04 - '06 TDIs.

Tony

AnnaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf 5-spd [BEW]
I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Almost three years later my motorcycle shop tubing is still going strong. No weeping, still pliant but not soft, appears to have no chance of collapse either.

I still have the more expensive special tygothane blend polyurethane tubing under the seats as a backup, but I have not needed it. The tygothane and the motorcycle shop tubing seem about the same wall width. I would expect it to perform about the same or better.

What is a PD?

I think the pressure in these tubes is minimal. Without a lifter pump the IP will be drawing on the tubes but it's not much. With a lifter pump (and on the return line) there's a slight positive pressure but again it's pretty low.

BTW, I also have to mention that in my setup the bendy metal fuel lines are missing thanks to the previous owner. So I am running motorcycle shop tubing between the filter and the metal lines under the car, and also from the filter half way across the motor to the IP. That's about two feet of tubing there and back. Still no issues.

If all your lines are pressurized you can buy some steel braid to wrap them in. Aside from looking cool and protecting from abrasions, I don't think it will serve much function. There's just not that much pressure before the IP.

im in the wrong group haha, I'm a mkiv, PD is pump duse, so i have a lift pump, filter, tandem pump, injectors.. no IPs.

anyway, i just wondered if 1/16" wall thickness was enough. what do you mean by "more expensive special tygothane blend polyurethane tubing" - is it thicker, or reinforced somehow?

Filmshoot

TDI
1.9TDI AFN
Hi,
Does anyone have a part number for the biodiesel compatible fuel hose? I called mcmaster and asked about tygothane but the max temp is 170f. Dont you think this is too low of a heat rating? Is there a better option?

...just tapped out with a thumb or 2, please don't mind the abbreviations and grammatical faults.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
the one guy had said nylon line(a long post ago, and early in this topic). use only fuel rated hose.
i have a length of this tygothane from mcmaster. i have for inlet and the inbetween injector over-flows used for me on older idi's. it wasnt long before the larger inlet hose turned a yellow and got cracky, not really too much problem, after several years just sitting, they still work, are ok. for me as well an observation. its somewhat expensive line. my main problem, when first setting up, the wall thickness is rather thin, my hose clamps that take wrench or socket(1/4") or screwdriver, can and at first did rather easily bite thru the lines where clamped. its kind of testy material, if you dont tighten the clamp right, you will get a leak where you have to tighten more, biting thru hose. i have to tighten over the filter the nipple lip, and snug clamp so it works.
the inbetween injector lines, i find useful, in my old idi's are real testy, zip-ties can work here. otherwise i ll get #3 leaking, usually, can be another.
as a suggestion where you can use rubber fuel line, use fuel injection line. on another forum at least one newer member some how was under the impression to use fuel (non-injection line, hence carburetor fuel line)line. carb fuel line you cannt use for injection line/hose, injection hose you can use for anything fuel line, that we d use it for. just pointing that out.
was thinking of any type of fuel rated clear line as long as it can handle diesel, for us. thicker wall thickness id prefer.
as far a prev poster, except for my comments observations, and others, for our car, VW purposes most times for inlet line and return line(s), your ok, unless you personally have heat requirements for what your doing. if your running your fuel lines right, that sounds normal, fuel runs cool. you ll set up and 'tie down' in a cool spot.

slam

Veteran Member
TDI
I still haven't installed that tygothane.

It been six or more years now on the motorcycle shop polyurethane and I've had zero issues.

I used braided nylon fuel before that. It's NOT biodiesel compatible. In a short time they were "sweating" biodiesel and shortly after that they polymerized into goo.

Last edited:

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
as i ve never tried this, while plastic line is turning into goo i wonder if your getting plastic 'goo' in your injector pump and lines and such. later on it can cause problems.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
FYI, there are a few formulations for Tygon that are compatible with diesel:
SE-200 - "Excellent" rating
C-210A - "Good" rating
LP-1200 - "Good" rating
LP-1500 - "Good" rating (previously mentioned)

The SE-200 is under the name "Ultra-Chemical-Resistant Versilon PVC Tubing" on McMaster-Carr: 1/8" ID (injector return), 1/4" ID (pump feed/return)
Reference

TDI
2013 NB Convertible 6-spd. M/T TDI
I know this thread is 8 years old, but I wanted to know how the tygothane is holding up to diesel fuel. I'm going to replace my fuel lines from tank to IP. I'm considering nylon as well as this material.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
So far so good for both of my cars. One has been sitting for a year waiting to get painted and no fuel ate away at the lines.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I use nylon or even the cheap pvc tubing, which is readily available everywhere. It’ll last two or three years, then yellow and will need replacing.

For the jumpers, I’ve also used pvc, but have been using the standard braided stuff, for the last few years The returns will always have air in them.

-Todd