1996 Passat Driver's Side Kick Panel Removal

Ed Thomas

1996 Passat Driver\'s Side Kick Panel Removal

I want to replace the infamous Relay 109 on my car. I looked at the kick panel. The door threshold piece lays on top of it. Does this need to be removed before getting the kick panel out. Secondly, do you need to remove the hood handle before the kick panel will come out? I'd appreciate any help by someone who has done this before.

E.T.

MORE_MPG

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon, 1996, Grey
Re: 1996 Passat Driver\'s Side Kick Panel Removal

Hi Ed,
- I was able to replace this relay by just removing the fuse cover. It was a little bit of a trick, but do-able. I recommend not removing the orginal until you have the new gray one in hand. I think that there is a blank relay socket up there that gets to be confusing if you wait between pulling the black one and inserting the gray one.
- If this doesn't make sense based on what you see let me know, maybe I can take some pictures tomorrow.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....

And if that's too tight, you only need to remove the under dash panel (an easy job), not the kick panel.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke

When you need to remove the door sill trim piece for another project, just press down on the top surface. The lower lip will then disengage from its retainer. The lower lip can then be pulled slightly towards the center of the car and the whole sill piece can be lifted (not rotated) up and out.

Ed Thomas

Thanks Guys! I did a search on Relay 109 on the existing posts and found a description of taking the under dash panel out and replacing the relay. For some reason I had the misconception that it was located behind the kick panel.

I ordered two Relay 109s from VWparts.com today. They were on special for $16.20 plus shipping.

E.T.