Lamp on heater/ac controls

tampabug

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB Auto
Since I purchased the car the heater /ac controls do not light, all blank. I'm not sure if they are suppose to, if so what's a good way to remove the panel and check on the connections.

timmyd

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
tampabug said:
Since I purchased the car the heater /ac controls do not light, all blank. I'm not sure if they are suppose to, if so what's a good way to remove the panel and check on the connections.

There is DIY floating around about how to replace the bulb . It was very straight forward.

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Take a rag and put it over the fan control knob. Grab the knob with a pair of pliers and pull it out. The bulb sits behind it. Replace or reseat the bulb and you should be all set.

rhino77

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
McBrew said:
Push a piece of rubber tubing over the bulb and pull it out.
I did this two days ago. if you can't find a peice of tubing to grab this, ask for some scrap from a hardware store or the auto parts store... it is not a big hose either... and you only need two inches. You can also wrap electrical tape around the end of your pliers to protect the plastics and provide better grip.

Use the rubber tube to pull out the bulb as mentioned, then use a peice of wire to push against the bulb on the other side of the tube. OR, you can push your finger at the end of the rubber tube inside the fan control and pull on the tube, leaving the blub in place.

If you go to Autozone or something similar, they may have trouble getting the bulb out of their system. Take the bulb you have and match it to one in their stock. Make sure you get the "euro" bulbs, as the regular ones may look like the same size, but they are actually a little to wide. "Euro bulb" should be labled on the package. Mine were by Sylvania.

You can find the tutorial somewhere in here if you do a search of the forums.

kleinergti1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99.5,00,01 etc etc
well since i part out vw's i finally found a place to get the bulbs instead of from the dealer. the third brake light shares the same bulb just some info for you guys.