No reverse lights

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
So, my reverse lights do not want to come on. I disconnected the wire connection to the switch and used a paper clip to make a connection between the 2 electrical connection and that got the reverse lights to come on. Thinking it might be the back up switch thing, I bought a new one (generic one, not a genuine VW one) and installed it but that did not fix my problem.

So I put the old one back on and wiggled it around and then it came on. This lasted for about a week and all of a sudden they are not coming back on. I used a paper clip again and it came back on but when I connect it to the switch I get nothing.

I was thinking maybe the part that moves when you shift into reverse may be a little worn out and not making contact with the part of the switch that gets pushed in. Is there something underneath the reverse switch that can be adjusted?

Anything else that you can think of? I need to get this fixed so my car can pass the Virginia safety inspection.

Thanks,
-Nick

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Make sure the wires aren't chaffed through that lead up to the connector.I found one of my wires broken a few years ago when I had the B4....

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
I thought that since the light would come on when I used a paper clip to bridge the connector, that would indicate the wiring was fine. Is it not as simple as that?

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Wiggling the wiring around (say to disconnect it and jumper it) can cause a broken wire to make a connection it won't make when plugged in.

The switch itself is simple enough to test if you have a multimeter too.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
Wiggling the wiring around (say to disconnect it and jumper it) can cause a broken wire to make a connection it won't make when plugged in.

The switch itself is simple enough to test if you have a multimeter too.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

I do have a multimeter. How can I test the switch?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
As cheap as that switch is, I'd just replace it if it tests bad.

I think I paid less than $3 for my Uro brand switch, on my 02j shifter swap.... no cutting/splicing and it works just fine.

-Todd