MkV / MkVI Bluetooth FAQ (Updated 12/30/2010)

Parva

TDI
Now have a '13 Beetle Turbo, had a '10 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
So then, what are we "supposed to do?"
Should we wait a while longer, what's too long to wait to get this done?

The part # we want is the 9W7, correct?

What all should we tell our local VW service department guys to do if they "know nothing of this?"

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
Good questions. I don't know. I'm going to give it a couple more weeks at the most, and if they don't know, I'm calling VWoA and getting it sorted out. I'm also going to make sure they get me the 9W7 module.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
If the settlement does not specify the 9W7 module, then the only way your going to get one is buying it yourself. The dealer is not going to eat that cost.

Chi2

TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG
It is too early to call it, but we may have been hornswaggled by those dirty lawyers. Please review my shallow knowledge of the events, and consider our options. Please correct any errors I make.

• A class action suit was filed and a firm requested TDI owners to join it.The firm has more power with higher numbers of people attached to the case.
  • By joining the class action we agreed to some terms:
    • If you had already bought a replacement bluetooth device you could be reimbursed up to a certain amount of money, or
    • If you had not done anything you could go to the dealer and have an "upgrade" installed, or
    • Not sign on to the class action and take matters into your own hands.
  • We were told to wait for an announcement about when we could take our cars to the dealership for the upgrade.
  • Those who submitted reimbursement requests were paid.
Do we have the option for buying the 9w7 and requesting a reimbursement after we opted to have a dealer upgrade?

Having read that some members are receiving parts hereto unknown, and likey less feature rich than the 9w7, I would like to take matters into my own hands now. However, it seems like once we opted-in we might be stuck with whatever crappy part VW deems will meet the minimum criteria of the lawsuit.

If the settlement does not specify the 9W7 module, then the only way your going to get one is buying it yourself. The dealer is not going to eat that cost.

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta SE 2.5L Tip (gasser)
...If you had already bought a replacement bluetooth device you could be reimbursed up to a certain amount of money,...
No, you got ALL your money back, including shipping and any installation costs. I got all my $472.25 back.
...Do we have the option for buying the 9w7 and requesting a reimbursement after we opted to have a dealer upgrade?
No. But here's one for $175: Ebay item 180947884267. This is the module I currently have and it works just fine. I paid over twice the typical current price because I bought from a dealer who simply ordered the part number I requested. I was the very first person to make a 9W2 to 9W7 exchange in May 2010.

Last edited:

JettaNite

TDI
2010 Jetta SportWagen
BT and VCDS

Hi All:

Finally joined after discovering the site about 1 month ago...

Got the BT exchange done this week. I also have a VCDS....
From reviewing the site,
-Made the change for power windows via remote
-Disabled DRL's
-Steering Button active for Phone Book

-Got the coding window for the Telephone (77), but is only showing Long Coding and there is no decode available...so I don't know what the settings are.

Anyway, my goal is to get the MFD to display Phone, etc. From what I read, looks like the "upgraded" BT can't do this...which sucks.

Otherwise the BT is better IMHO than the original. I got the steering button active for voice dialing. I do like Voice Control, and I even like having the BT overhead light off....

So, my question is....does anyone have the decodes for the long coding on 77 Telephone?

witecap4u

TDI
'10 Sportwagen TDI
I opened up thread on vortex under the vag com forum asking for help on it from them. Im guessing they are the same as the 9w7 module though due to the same default coding and the fact that bit 4 acts the same on both modules.

ElectricMayhem

Veteran Member
TDI
None!
My bluetooth only works intermittently with my iPhone 4S. Sometimes the phone will ring over the car speakers, but more often it won't. The car claims it is connected to the phone throughout.

Have tried unpairing/pairing, updating phone to latest firmware, but no joy. Any suggestions? Believe I have 9W7.

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
So I was told at first we were getting the 9w3, but it turns out that what we are getting is a module specific to this lawsuit. Can anyone who has had it placed tell us what added functions you get (and what you lose functionally)?

witecap4u

TDI
'10 Sportwagen TDI
You gain the push to talk(PTT) button which brings up the voice commands with access to you phone book. This function allows you to say commands like, call bob @ home and it will dial bobs home number. The steering wheel PTT button can now be programed to also initiate the voice commands but will not be programed by the dealer.

You loose the LED indicator to show if your phone is connected and also the ability to reconnect/reset the bluetooth module by the bluetooth icon button.

A2DP is unchanged as well as MFD still doesnt not work. .

OlyJetta

TDI
2010 Sportwagen -sold-
Blutooth Module From Dealer

So my 2010 Sportwagon is at the dealer at this moment. They have the replacement module. They just called me to tell me that they can't complete the install without my phone. And...they want my phone for 2 hours! :confused:
Has anyone else had this experience???? I've cancelled the install untill I return from an upcoming road trip.

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
I assume they want the phone to be sure they can pair it to the car, but that shouldn't take more than 5 minutes (unless it isn't pairing correctly).

ddhd

TDI
2013 Jetta TDi 6spd
Was wondering if anyone had an answer.

I have a 2012 sedan and my iphone4s syncs up fine. However, couple of days ago I notice that along with the names and JUST the phone numbers of my contact the MFD showed (mobile), (home), (work)!!! Now it doesn't.

Does anyone know how to activate the this feature.

Thanks

dwpc

TDI
2010 JSW DSG
I just had the lawsuit module installed yesterday and to be blunt, its more like VW's revenge than an improvement. It seems to meet the bare minimum for the lawsuit complaint (voice activation) and I'm not impressed. You gain ONLY voice activation. You completely lose the LED showing you're linked. All that was provided is one sheet of basic instructions. As far as I can tell, you must use the roof panel button to activate it, and there's no "phone" menu; no accessing or scrollling thru the phone book via the display; only by voice activation. Yes, you can say "Call (name)" but I'd guess many like me have added numerals, "ICE", etc. to most frequently called entries and that's very cumbersome for voice activation. Instead of scrolling to the entry with the display and buttons on the wheel, I must say "CALL 1Home ICE1" which is repeated back slowly for confirmation before dialing. Its much like using the primitive OnStar of ten+ years ago. Better than a sharp stick in the eye. I miss the green LED.

Parva

TDI
Now have a '13 Beetle Turbo, had a '10 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I just had the lawsuit module installed yesterday and to be blunt, its more like VW's revenge than an improvement. It seems to meet the bare minimum for the lawsuit complaint (voice activation) and I'm not impressed. You gain ONLY voice activation. You completely lose the LED showing you're linked. All that was provided is one sheet of basic instructions. As far as I can tell, you must use the roof panel button to activate it, and there's no "phone" menu; no accessing or scrollling thru the phone book via the display; only by voice activation. Yes, you can say "Call (name)" but I'd guess many like me have added numerals, "ICE", etc. to most frequently called entries and that's very cumbersome for voice activation. Instead of scrolling to the entry with the display and buttons on the wheel, I must say "CALL 1Home ICE1" which is repeated back slowly for confirmation before dialing. Its much like using the primitive OnStar of ten+ years ago. Better than a sharp stick in the eye. I miss the green LED.
Exact same "resolution" here
I agree that it's better than it was; but hardly...

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
I'm guessing neither of you have navigation? It seems like those with navigation do well, as the radio/nav unit allows more functions. If you don't have nav, most people seem to be more unhappy. And that's where it might make sense to just buy the 9w7 bluetooth module on your own to get full function.

Chi2

TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG
Sorry; was gonna write sooner...
Nope, no Nav. I have the 510 model.
Thanks for the update Parva.

Do we have any feedback from someone with a NAV who had the BT "upgrade"? I am going down that road soon and will report back (and I do have the 2010 JSW Nav), but I'd like to know what I'm in for..

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
Yes, a few of us with Nav have had the upgradge. I think the fastest summary for the upgrade is this:

People with nav = mostly happy with upgrade.
People without nav = people who feel screwed by the upgrade.

With the RNS-510 radio/navigation system, when you get the upgrade, several changees happen:

1. phone roof light no longer works (no longer works in any upgrade it sounds like)
2. phone roof button can now be used to initiate phone dialing by voice command (everyone gets this function).
3. phone button on radio is now operative, allowing you to access assignable quick dial buttons, see your address book, bring up a phone dialing pad, etc. This is what you get with the navigation system that you do not get with the RCD radio module.

Hope this helps some!

Chi2

TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG
Ramb02,

Thanks- this is exactly the summary I was trying to piece together, and I'm sure others will benefit too. Now that I see it, I'm not as worried and will move forward with my upgrade.

I noticed you are in SoCal too. Where did you get your upgrade done? I have used both VW of Santa Monica and Pacific VW (South Bay area). I would rather go to a dealer that has a lot of experience with this upgrade/fix.

Yes, a few of us with Nav have had the upgradge. I think the fastest summary for the upgrade is this:

People with nav = mostly happy with upgrade.
People without nav = people who feel screwed by the upgrade.

With the RNS-510 radio/navigation system, when you get the upgrade, several changees happen:

1. phone roof light no longer works (no longer works in any upgrade it sounds like)
2. phone roof button can now be used to initiate phone dialing by voice command (everyone gets this function).
3. phone button on radio is now operative, allowing you to access assignable quick dial buttons, see your address book, bring up a phone dialing pad, etc. This is what you get with the navigation system that you do not get with the RCD radio module.

Hope this helps some!

motoblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf DSG
I don't have NAV and got the upgrade. I don't feel screwed in any way. I think of screwed as getting less than what you give up.

You do get voice-activated call-out with the upgrade, something you didn't have with 9w2. You do lose visual confirmation of a connection (i.e. LED) but at least now that push-to-talk button on the overhead functions. So it's a tradeoff, and the net gain at least in my POV is positive even for those with a premium 7 or 8.

If you want the unit with all the features (i.e., MDI phonebook for either nav or non-nav) buy a 9w7.

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
I thought it might be interesting to post a synopsis of the BT upgrade from gmcjetpilot in another thread:

1) The time to apply for a 9W7 reimbursement is over.
2) The time to apply for what is called the "settlement unit" I also think is a ship that has sailed.
3) To be eligible you have to testify one of the prime reasons you bought the car was because of "hands free" BT. Not sure if you have to be the first original owner or not.
4) If you don't have a RNS510 or late model RCD510 radio with the phone button, the "settlement unit" apparently will not display the phone book on the MFD/MFI, so all you get is voice commands, "CALL MOM"....
5) The stock system works well for incoming calls.
6) You can buy a new 9W7 unit for under $300, delivered to the door. For me a 9w7 will get me the phone directory on the MFD (but you need a high line MFD, which I have). As I said in #4, the settlement unit does not give you phone book on MFD regardless of radio you have.....

Last edited:

jeffjeja

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Frustrations With "Upgrade"

Have had the new module for about a week now and am really feeling the absence of the visual phonebook in the display. There are some voice prompts - and basic ones at that - that the system does not seem to recognize. When I ask to call "Home" I get a non-recognition response though it is an entry in my contacts, and when I request a call to "Voicemail," when it finally does recognize the request the system pronounces it something along the lines of "voy-a-mail." Other names in my contacts do not seem to pose a problem; one would think home and voicemail would be programmed in to be recognized. Of course, being able to scroll through a written list (as should be available) would mitigate the issue a good deal.

ramb02

TDI
2010 VW JSW TDI
Ramb02,

Thanks- this is exactly the summary I was trying to piece together, and I'm sure others will benefit too. Now that I see it, I'm not as worried and will move forward with my upgrade.

I noticed you are in SoCal too. Where did you get your upgrade done? I have used both VW of Santa Monica and Pacific VW (South Bay area). I would rather go to a dealer that has a lot of experience with this upgrade/fix.

I live out in the Inland Empire, so it may be a drive. But my understanding is that this upgrade is nearly plug and play for those with the navigation system, so I suspect about any dealer should be able to handle it.

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
Have had the new module for about a week now and am really feeling the absence of the visual phonebook in the display...
I gather you mean that you miss a visual phonebook which you've never had, and now wish you've had all along???? :confused:

When speaking the word, "HOME", try emphasizing the "m" consonant. The system hears our typical pronunciation of "home" as "Hom" with almost no "m" sound. I say, "HOME" as almost two syllables..."Ho-mah", more like a singer would pronounce it in lyrics for a song.

Last edited:

jeffjeja

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
I gather you mean that you miss a visual phonebook which you've never had, and now wish you've had all along???? :confused:
In a word, yes. Lest you continue to feel that is an unreasonable mindset, however, please allow me to point out that the visual phonebook function is one that is described in the literature that came with the car and existed via modules other than the 9w2 that were available prior to the vehicle's manufacture. Of course in hindsight now, I wish I had done what you did, namely purchase a 9w7, enjoy the benefits of it from the time of purchase, and ultimately get reimbursed by VW. I'm saying that - and I believe many who have followed the class action since its inception feel the same way - there was an expectation that once the matter was found in favor of the plaintiffs we would be receiving something with the functionality of the 9w7. It's difficult to fathom why VW wouldn't be more accommodating at that point; I wouldn't guess there to be much financial savings by insisting on the module that is being installed to satisfy the terms of the settlement vs. the 9w7 or its equivalent.
In any case, thank you for the tip on the verbal command. I tried it and it did make a difference. And I do appreciate your other contributions and the information you've provided on this forum.

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
...the visual phonebook function is one that is described in the literature that came with the car and existed via modules other than the 9w2 that were available prior to the vehicle's manufacture...
That's what I hoped you meant. The way you worded your earlier email made me wonder if you HAD the phone book prior to the upgrade, but now you've lost it.